Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices are slowly going up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raise the price arbitrarily!
Nonsense.
There's an ENORMOUS shortage of both new and used cars.
Rental car companies are all sold out for popular areas for the holiday weekend. They're desperate and buying used cars to rebuild their fleet.
Demand is extremely strong.
All car companies are raising prices Don't expect the classic Memorial Day car deal this weekend
If a company doesn't recognize market forces and adjust prices they deserve to go out of business.

Last edited:
Tesla is hurting for money now that bitcoin has crashed (again).

...wut?

Tesla has like 17 billion dollars in cash sitting around.

It can't keep showing profits based on cryptocurrency appreciation

Tesla can not count any appreciation in BTC unless it sells it.

Which they have only done once, ever, so far and only a tiny fraction of their holding, representing only a tiny fraction of profit for that one quarter.

. Need more money when selling a production constrained product? Raise the price arbitrarily!

Seems a lot more systemic than arbitrary- and seems squarely aimed at capturing some of the coming refreshed EV tax credit.

Remember Tesla kept walking prices DOWN as the tax credit got smaller and eventually expired. They're just partly reversing that ahead of a new one.

Reactions: play150
According to the latest data auto sales have peaked. Not surprising since most people eligible for stimulus checks have received and spent that money by now. Also half the states are discontinuing unemployment benefits early at a time when jobs growth is slowing, especially for jobs paying more than min wage. This will further dampen consumer spending given those employment benefits were a lot higher than min wage for those states allowing for much higher discretionary consumer spending. Rent moratoriums are also ending in 6 weeks. April home sales were also surprisingly lower than expectations. Should see deflationary effects in the coming months coinciding with the Feds view this pocket of inflation was a one off and the economy has a long way to go. I would be surprised to see a marked fall in auto prices by the end of summer.

...wut?

Tesla has like 17 billion dollars in cash sitting around.
Cash ≠ profit
Cash = debt
Tesla can not count any appreciation in BTC unless it sells it.
Probably why they stopped accepting a depreciating currency as a form of payment. Selling Bitcoin to make a quarterly profit as an auto maker is a loaf of baloney and Wall Street reacted appropriately.

Which they have only done once, ever, so far and only a tiny fraction of their holding, representing only a tiny fraction of profit for that one quarter.
It was just enough to make them profitable. Without the BTC sale, Tesla would have been IN THE RED for the quarter. That's disturbing.

Seems a lot more systemic than arbitrary- and seems squarely aimed at capturing some of the coming refreshed EV tax credit.
The only thing systemic about Tesla's nonsensical price maneuvers is Elon's aspergers.

Remember Tesla kept walking prices DOWN as the tax credit got smaller and eventually expired. They're just partly reversing that ahead of a new one.
There is currently no "refreshed EV tax credit" and will not be unless Biden's infrastructure plan passes Congress. Right now it seems unlikely. I wouldn't bank on any credits at this time. Anyone buying a Tesla expecting a credit is gambling with an unlikely scenario.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and Gasaraki
There is no "refreshed EV tax credit" and will not be unless Biden's infrastructure plan passes Congress. Right now it seems unlikely

Not sure why you say that.

Democrats have 1 more use of reconciliation left this year

it's going to be used to pass the infrastructure bill... though specifics aren't done yet.

Instead we'll get another few weeks at least of kabuki theater as the republicans pretend they're interested in "negotiating"

Eventually the democrats will decide the play acting went on long enough, point out there's no compromise to be had with the other side, throw a few bones in the final bill to Manchin, and pass it with 50 votes in the senate and VP Harris breaking the tie.

It's gonna have SOME version of a revised EV tax credit in it.

Likely a refundable or POS one, likely with a significantly higher/longer lifespan, and likely with a cap on value to exclude super expensive cars (or an income cap)

Reactions: JohnnyEV
Not sure why you say that.

Democrats have 1 more use of reconciliation left this year

it's going to be used to pass the infrastructure bill... though specifics aren't done yet.

Instead we'll get another few weeks at least of kabuki theater as the republicans pretend they're interested in "negotiating"

Eventually the democrats will decide the play acting went on long enough, point out there's no compromise to be had with the other side, throw a few bones in the final bill to Manchin, and pass it with 50 votes in the senate and VP Harris breaking the tie.

It's gonna have SOME version of a revised EV tax credit in it.

Likely a refundable or POS one, likely with a significantly higher/longer lifespan, and likely with a cap on value to exclude super expensive cars (or an income cap)
I wouldn't buy a car and bet on a tax credit based on how I think Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema are going to vote. It may very well happen, and I hope it does, but any talk of this is premature and folks buying cars counting on this credit smacks of wishful thinking. To each their own.

I wouldn't buy a car and bet on a tax credit based on how I think Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema are going to vote. It may very well happen, and I hope it does, but any talk of this is premature and folks buying cars counting on this credit smacks of wishful thinking. To each their own.

I already own a car, and got the full tax credit on it.

I was just pointing out the most obvious reason for Tesla raising prices.

I think $46,990 was the original price before the price cut, so it looks like it went back. They probably did this because people were buying the LR with Accel Boost over getting a P.
I bought LR w Accel Boost and now after 4K miles selling it to get P. The acceleration is still noticeable on P and cornering is night/day. Thankfully it’s a T so my resale is only losing money on taxes paid.