Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices have gone up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking - and this may already be mentioned previously so apologies if i'm repeating - but could this be a conscious decision made to stem demand having seen the problems they are having meeting orders and the delivery issues?

Maybe they're thinking if demand can be curbed a little over the next month or two they can sort out the logistical issues for the backlog and then put the prices back to more 'affordable' levels (i use that term VERY loosely o_O).

Maybe that's just me being wishful in the hope that they drop the prices again so that my M3P plan can be back on track...

Elon has noted the constrained supply in UK, and said they wouldn't increase the price for that reason. Looks like he didn't know at the time that prices had in fact risen for us, but because of what he said it seems very unlikely that constrained supply was the reason

Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon has noted the constrained demand in UK, and said they wouldn't increase the price for that reason. Looks like he didn't know at the time that prices had in fact risen for us, but because of what he said it seems very unlikely that constrained demand was the reason

Elon Musk on Twitter

Yeah his tweet made little sense, we don't increase prices in the UK although the previous days the price had increased, he doesn't usually delete tweets so probably just left it

Make white free because we made too many white cars (based on that picture that surfaced a couple of weeks ago).

Reduce price in UK initially to generate further demand to match as many orders as possible.

All vehicles that could be delivered before end of Q3 matched, increase price to previous levels.

That’s how I read the tweets.

Attachments

• C1704207-6EFC-40AB-8C8C-C1D71BD4F42E.jpeg
    C1704207-6EFC-40AB-8C8C-C1D71BD4F42E.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 68
Elon has noted the constrained demand in UK, and said they wouldn't increase the price for that reason. Looks like he didn't know at the time that prices had in fact risen for us, but because of what he said it seems very unlikely that constrained demand was the reason

Elon Musk on Twitter

No. Elon highlighted undersupply in his Tweet and said they will not increase price to reduce demand. So implying that UK demand is greater than expectations.

I suspect that the recent price increase is independent of that process but simply a reflection of the long term weakness of the pound due to Brexit.

Perhaps post the figures that the prices changed as they went down the past two previous times so can't see your invoice having gone up!

Trust me, I’m neither sufficiently wealthy nor decent to pester Tesla to increase my invoice.

I ordered a black LR AWD 19” FSD. Yes, the base price went down £1,560 but black paint went up £750 and FSD went up £900.

‘Only’ £90 more you may say but I was also interested in their response because it addressed exactly the point at issue: “Does the deposit secure the price and spec.?”

Up until last week all the indications I got from Tesla seemed to be “Yes” but now I’m wondering if that policy has that changed. Are they moving towards a position where your order and deposit incur no commitment on them to deliver the price & spec you ordered if they decide after the event that it no longer suits them?

Or maybe this all just the confusion of a rapidly expanding business?

Trust me, I’m neither sufficiently wealthy nor decent to pester Tesla to increase my invoice.

I ordered a black LR AWD 19” FSD. Yes, the base price went down £1,560 but black paint went up £750 and FSD went up £900.

‘Only’ £90 more you may say but I was also interested in their response because it addressed exactly the point at issue: “Does the deposit secure the price and spec.?”

Up until last week all the indications I got from Tesla seemed to be “Yes” but now I’m wondering if that policy has that changed. Are they moving towards a position where your order and deposit incur no commitment on them to deliver the price & spec you ordered if they decide after the event that it no longer suits them?

Or maybe this all just the confusion of a rapidly expanding business?

If you didn't modify your order I would not expect to pay an additional £90 and would likely be an error on their part if questioned, I am quite sure that the deposit secures the price because otherwise they would have a lot of people cancelling and stranded inventory that would need allocating which they want to avoid to meet delivery targets.

If you didn't modify your order I would not expect to pay an additional £90 and would likely be an error on their part if questioned, I am quite sure that the deposit secures the price because otherwise they would have a lot of people cancelling and stranded inventory that would need allocating which they want to avoid to meet delivery targets.

Yup, that’s what I thought. So I did the thing you suggested, I questioned it. And, as I said, the answer came back from Tesla last week: “Looking at the most up to date invoice (ie the one with the price £90 higher than my original, unmodified order), this is the same as if you were to build a new Model 3 online- therefore being the correct price”

I’m really struggling to see how that can be interpreted as “the deposit secures the price” but perhaps I’m missing something?

The 19" people are in a difficult situation...

Change your order, maybe pay more in line with current prices, and actually get a car - or don't change your order, stay at your locked in price, wait somewhere between weeks and infinity for your car...

The indication I’m getting from Tesla is that the price isn’t locked in even if you don’t change the spec.

Does anyone have an actual example of a locked-in price on a delivered car that people like me can quote back to Tesla, please? In other words, is there anyone out there who has taken delivery of an M3 following a price increase who has been invoiced at the lower price on their order? Any help on this will be much appreciated.

This is the text from the terms and conditions from my order agreement:

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuraon. This purchase price includes local VAT (if and when applicable), but may not include some local and regionally required taxes and fees. Because taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the me of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these taxes and fees.

Unless it’s a fee to do with “local taxes or fees” it should be the price as agreed. What are they saying the extra £90 is for?

The indication I’m getting from Tesla is that the price isn’t locked in even if you don’t change the spec.

Does anyone have an actual example of a locked-in price on a delivered car that people like me can quote back to Tesla, please? In other words, is there anyone out there who has taken delivery of an M3 following a price increase who has been invoiced at the lower price on their order? Any help on this will be much appreciated.
I ordered a p- in black when it was available. The prices then all decreased and so I changed it to the new free white also got a price decrease.

This is the text from the terms and conditions from my order agreement:

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuraon. This purchase price includes local VAT (if and when applicable), but may not include some local and regionally required taxes and fees. Because taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the me of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these taxes and fees.

Unless it’s a fee to do with “local taxes or fees” it should be the price as agreed. What are they saying the extra £90 is for?
Thanks for that. I was planning on looking at my order agreement, but it's mysteriously disappeared from my order page:
Capture.JPG