TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Prices Paid, Discounts, Incentives, and Upgrades Offered

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Probllama, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Probllama

Probllama Member

Hi all,

I know with Tesla you order online and the price is fixed for everyone, in theory. However, it looks like more and more people are being offered:

- Discounts on inventory cars especially if they have some miles on them or older (2018) model year
    - Free paint/wheel upgrades

These promotions seem to be getting pushed more especially around end of fiscal quarters and I figured it will be helpful for all the potential buyers to see what unadvertised incentives you were offered and took advantage of. Please share your car's:

- Model year and trim level
    - "List" price or original MSRP
    - Final price you paid or been offered before any federal or state incentives

Here are couple of recent examples of discounts/free upgrades I have come across:

Tesla Prices Paid (FB Group - Tesla Showroom Deals) (Responses)

2. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

This was in socal this past weekend end of Q1 push.

Model 3 Performance - blue on white with autopilot. 9 miles on it, non demo inventory. MSRP $65,000. Price paid $57,300.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. SoCalLawyer

SoCalLawyer Member

Hi all, I created the spreadsheet so we want everyone to share the prices they paid in order to look at the data to determine the % of cars Tesla is selling at a discount because if only 3% of people are scoring deals - it may change a buyer's mindset on waiting.

Here is the link to submit your prices paid - Tesla Prices Paid (FB Group - Tesla Showroom Deals) thanks all for helping :)

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Dang, that is an awesome deal. You basically got a P Model for the same price I paid on a LR 3 back in 2017.

How did you score that? Did they offer it to you, or did you have to haggle them into it? Trying to think ahead when we are ready to trade the S in (assuming we choose to buy another Tesla at that time).

5. SoCalLawyer

SoCalLawyer Member

Video about my $10k off Deal

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

#6 turtlesz, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    I was one of the few that felt upset about the huge resale value drops with the recent price changes. My $56k Model 3 LR RWD was essentially costing $48k and my 75D X was 95k and probably being sold for $75k new in under a year. I don't believe it's fair to factor in the tax incentive argument as that rebate was made for the consumers to setup home infrastructure and the increased cost between ICE and EV technology to promote sales, not for the manufacturer to dangle like a carrot for a rabbit. Tesla said everyone pays the same amount and they don't discount but I learned that was false. Along with the MSRP price cuts my car was hit with regular depreciation from use of the car making me question if I should ever buy a Tesla new again.

Fast forward to the end of quarter push. I saw people posting these deals they were getting from inventory and to contact a local sales advisor. I simply called my local store and got to sales Dept and the rep asked what I was looking for and checked inventory for me and sent me the link to the car. Was offered $42k from Vroom from my LR RWD 3 which I had received $7500 federal credit for and $2500 CA rebate for and had driven 13k miles and had 2 drive unit failures on. I felt it was a no brainer to upgrade to a new car and total out of pocket would be under $5k total after all said and done. Also my dad got a new P100D with white interior and EAP for 77k by the same method. So I learned always buy a Tesla in the final 3 days of the quarter and you will be able to save thousands if not 10s of thousands.

• Informative x 3
  7. bmms8

bmms8 Member

10,560 off based on pricing after 3/20 price update. Ordered on 3/18. 2018 of course.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  8. Probllama

Probllama Member

Nice! I am guessing a 2018 model year inventory car? Any miles on it?

9. bmms8

bmms8 Member

Correct to assume inventory. They are the only "discounted" cars tmu. 3k miles. Its the best deal i could find during the 2 week search of q1 push

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I totally would have done that deal for $5k out of pocket. I have 25K miles on my 2017 3, and wasn't eligible for the $2500 CA rebate (income cap), so my numbers would have probably been worse for getting a new one.

FYI, the state might claw back some their $2500. You are supposed to keep the car for 30 months under the program.

• Like x 1
  11. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

Congrats! Nice video and I'm sure it will help others out. Enjoy the car!

12. Msw001

Msw001 Member

So it was 10K off the price ofthe 2018 MSRP or the 2019??

13. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

Interesting thread with some great posts. I might have to look hard at the end of this quarter to see if a Model 3P pops up to my liking. Currently saving for a used S but if I find the right deal, could be a 3 for me!

• Like x 1
  14. SoCalLawyer

SoCalLawyer Member

2018 P3

15. MIDRANGEORDER

MIDRANGEORDER Member

no deals for Q2, not even for existing orders. Tesla quickly becoming a joke.

• Disagree x 2
  16. Nurkbonis

Nurkbonis Member

I did almost the exact same thing. I was annoyed that the price changes hurt my resale value, but then realized it might help me get a cheaper performance Model 3.

I bought a LR RWD Model 3 March 2018. Loved it, but wished it were the Performance 3. Early March 2019, I reached out to an owner adviser to see if there were any smoking deals on inventory Performance 3s. Ended up with a 2018 Performance 3 with 4,500 miles – red paint, white interior AP/FSD for around 59k. Total discount was $11,000 and some change. Could have had it for $8,000 less had I not added AP/FSD. P3D arrived in incredibly good condition, minus a very tiny curbing on one of the wheels which is being replaced by Tesla. I was able to sell my LR RWD Model 3 to a third-party wholesaler for $43,500. When factoring in the federal tax credit, plus local tax credit, I couldn’t say no. Super happy with the move. Still can’t believe it all worked out.

• Like x 1
  17. Bombero1394

Bombero1394 Member

How was your white interior on delivery? I’m in the process of picking up a P3D demo with 4K miles and I’m a little nervous about the possibility of having to reject the car if the white is blemished or worn. BTW got the same smoking 10k off deal :)

• Like x 1
  18. MIDRANGEORDER

MIDRANGEORDER Member

You got this deal this month? or from last month. I think in getting screwed, Tesla offering me nothing but full price upgrade from a MR order

19. Bombero1394

Bombero1394 Member

I got this deal a few days ago. They want me to take delivery the 10 but I’ll be out of town till the 17th so it’ll have to wait. They still have cars out there. I was dealing with a guy in Orlando which wasn’t much help for weeks. I sent him a goodbye letter and called down on south Florida where I know they hustle a little more. In about 8 seconds he found me a P3D and a bunch of LR AWD

20. Bombero1394

Bombero1394 Member

To be clear they are 2018 cars. All the inventory ones are now.