Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices stabilizing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, my ideal scenario would be:
2.5 exterior styling
1.5 PEM
2.x interior instrumentation and double DIN
1.5 shifter
1.5 TPMS
2.x "Sport" maybe.

This list probably apply to a lot of current owner's preference. And since its all over the place, you gotta start making compromises. From a frugality standpoint, I'd put my money on 1.5, given the expense of PEM repair/replacement. From a joy of ownership standpoint, I'd go with a 2.5 Sport.

As for investment standpoint, well, then who knows. So far, the Roadster Founder and Signature series haven't resulted in uptick in value. Neither has Model S Sigs (probably the opposite). I have a VP and I certainly don't think its anything special in that regard.

Either way, the depreciation of this vehicle has tapered significantly since Tesla stopped their fire sale. It'll depreciate nicely (from owner's view) until another system-wide event (Model X trade in? Gen 3 trade in? Roadster 3.0?). I see it kind of like Acura NSX. Its not appreciating per se, but its certainly not depreciating like other sports cars. And both are great daily drivers.

For ICE cars, the earliest ones tend to have the highest value for collectors. However, that was sometimes because increasing government regulation (specifically pollution controls) forced later cars to be less performant or less desirable. For instance, I used to own a 1966 Jag E-Type. The Series I had the highest value, because in 1967 US regulations forced Jag to lose the covered headlight styling, and they went to a V12 engine which was not as reliable as the straight six used before, and pollution controls sapped throttle response. The later cars were more cozy and refined (some even got a 2+2 configuration), but the early ones are the desirable ones.

With Roadster, it's too early to say how it's going to go. The 1.5 PEM might be more bulletproof than the 2.x, but the 2.x motors, without the AC Propulsion charging technology, are, I think, better. There's also the 2.x's Tire Learning feature, which provides more flexibility. Interior-wise, the 1.5's tray just doesn't cut it in my view, but purists may appreciate the closer Lotus heritage link.

As I posted earlier, the 400 mile battery upgrade option is going to help prices near-term. However, in the long run I believe Collector purists will prefer the earliest vehicles without any later upgrades, even factory upgrades.

For myself, I have a late v2.5, and my goal is to enjoy it. That means customizing it, going non-stock as appropriate for what I like to drive. It won't have the ultimate dollar value to others, but for me it's pretty darn fantastic.

Given that a relatively small number of Roadsters were made, and that the changes between versions were not dramatic, I'm not convinced that in the distant future there will be significant differences in value between the earlier cars and the later ones. Sure the Sport model will be worth somewhat more, and the presence or absence of the various factory options will influence the overall value, but beyond that I think overall condition, battery capacity, and total mileage will be the most important factors.