TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pricing 2012 Signature S85

Discussion in 'Model S' started by adamb90, Jan 29, 2015.

1. adamb90

adamb90 New Member

We're thinking of selling our Signature Series model S.

We chose the sunroof and paint protection as the only extra options. All Signature cars came with the tech package, air suspension, high end audio.

The original list price was $98,000. With about 38,000 miles it seems a fair price would be around $70k. We're hoping to sell it to a friend and are just trying to figure out what a reasonable price should be.

Cheers,
    Adam

Attached Files:

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I'd be interested in a comparison of how Sigs vs production cars depreciate. Probably very similarly but hopefully Sigs aren't worse. Anyone know?

3. Majerus

Majerus Member

I would talk with Tesla see what they would give you and work from there. Normally they shoot a bit low on there pricing so maybe add 5k to there number.

4. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

If selling to a friend I would get my trade in estimate from Tesla and then add whatever additional tax liability I might incur by selling private party vs. trading in.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Tesla's estimate is not a private party sale estimate. It is a dealer trade-in estimate which will be significantly lower. Tesla has to make a profit on resale and whoever trades their car in is paying for this profit. Taking Tesla's estimate and adding $5k is probably leaving money on the table, in my opinion, because you are starting at a much lower "dealer trade-in value".

KBB private party value for your car is $85,193.

6. adamb90

adamb90 New Member

Wow, $85k seems high. I'll see if I can replicate that with KBB. This isn't the performance model.

BTW, Tesla only offered us $56k trade in, which seems very low. Maybe the right price is somewhere between $70k and $80k.

Just to test the market I posted it on Craigslist for $78k.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4868115529.html

I guess we'll see that gets any traction.

Thanks for all the feedback!

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That seems hopelessly optimistic. We see P85s with MSRPs of $10k more, a year newer, and with fewer than half the miles going for more than $5k less than that. Unfortunately that $70k is far closer to market rate than $85k.

8. tga

tga Active Member

I don't know where KBB is getting their Model S pricing data, but it doesn't seem to be based on any real-world sales.

9. adamb90

adamb90 New Member

Well $70k is still better than a $56k trade in...

Thanks for all the feedback!

10. callmesam

callmesam Member

The low quote you are getting from Tesla (appears) stems from the high mileage.

I'd be comfortable owning a 3 year old Tesla with 38,000 miles, but not everyone feels similarly.

Heck, I have 46K miles on an 18 month old Tesla. ;-)

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

It's always good to ask around and get opinions but I don't think there's an exact answer. There's just too few of those cars having sold with similar options and mileage to get proper sales data. If you and your friend are both comfortable with $70k that's a nice round number and first estimates are usually pretty correct. In my opinion, that number sounds fair to me, for whatever that's worth. Probably about the same as what you paid me for it.

12. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

I personally think $70k is paying a premium for signature which I wouldn't personally do. Just me. I'd call it $65k

13. REBroker

REBroker Member

I did a lot of shopping around online prior to deciding to buy new, and I would say a car like yours would sell for 65k or so in the open market. If it sells at all, Model S demand is low for resales right now.

14. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Definitely no higher than 65k... Similarly aged and mile'd P85s are selling $70k-$76k... But you never know if you find the right buyer

15. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Price your car out as new with the options that you have on your Sig. If you were to buy that car now with all the options, it would cost a lot more. We had lots of extras included that are now priced out separately. Plus, you have an over-engineered car.

I think that you could get a good price for your car, especially if it is Sig Red with the Sig White interior. Lots of dealers out there are trying to pass off production cars as Signatures. The VIN tells all.

16. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have done the same analysis and entertained offers. I believe I could get between $70-75k for my Sig P85 (sig red) with 45k miles, Nov 2012 delivery, with everything except factory paint armor. I'd expect $60-65k for the car in question.

17. TMobe

TMobe I have forgotten more than I remember

EXACTLY! I am surprised to see so many adds that say "SIGNATURE" or "PERFORMANCE" model that are not a Sig or a P. lol