Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing change rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a similar position, but not exactly. My car is set to go into production. My total cost was $106,820. This included the rear next gen seats, tech package, alacantara, air, etc. Now my same car would be $105,450. I would gain the interior lighting, and nappa leather, but lose the rear next gen seats. For me it was a wash, and so I'm sticking with my original and hoping it gets here quickly.

Based on this ("I can't wait"), it seems the value of the delivery one month earlier is $4,370 to you. When you consider that opportunity cost, it's dead-even when you apply differential analysis.

To add on to @FlasherZ's comment electric_slide, I do understand how not waiting for another month or more can be amazingly important. An additional perspective for you to consider - a year from now, when your new car still feels very new, are you going to be more happy that you got the car a month earlier, or are you going to be more happy that your new car has the options that you're missing out on because of the pricing change?

I know for me, if there were missing options, that's what I'd be thinking about. I would cancel and re-order with the options and be thankful that the pricing opportunity came along to squeeze in those last couple of options that I thought I wouldn't be able to get, even if it means I wait another month or 2.

I know for me, if there were missing options, that's what I'd be thinking about. I would cancel and re-order with the options and be thankful that the pricing opportunity came along to squeeze in those last couple of options that I thought I wouldn't be able to get, even if it means I wait another month or 2.

As someone who waited more than just a couple of months for mine, I'd have no problem waiting for a month in exchange for a few more features, although it depends on the features. Sounds like the OP also really desired air suspension. I'd probably cancel the order and re-up on a new vehicle with the favorable terms that Tesla gives on redirecting deposits.

According to Morgan Stanley, I'm going to be waiting until late October for my Model X anyway. :)

Agree w/ FlasherZ, it's worth pointing out that the OP is interested in adding next gen seats and air suspension. Huge "contact points" of the car, every minute of every drive. Worth pushing TM for, worth waiting for. Of course, I should take my own advice at times :|...

At this price point the car should be perfect in your eyes. So do what you can to make it perfect. Personally I'd cancel and reorder with the options I want. After several weeks of driving your new MS, you won't lament the extra month or so you had to wait, on the other hand you would always think about the options you could've gotten had you been more patient..

I wish we would read here about Tesla doing the right thing more often with regards to these erratic price changes. One could argue that although the car may be $4k cheaper today than a couple of weeks ago, the cost to manufacture today certainly has not increased/decreased significantly so why not do the right thing and offer a refund for the price difference for someones car which has not even completed the build process? Wouldn't that be nice to read about now and then?
People don't tend to post about positive / no-drama things. It's not Tesla-specific.

Many of us has been where you are. I cancelled a 85 order for a 85D, in the week after the "D" event. Did get the penalty of going from late December 2014 to, what appears to be, late April 2015 (OUCH!)

But the car has received some nice HW/SW updates during the wait time.

If the penalty is 1 (one) friggin' month .... Cancel and reorder.

I thought about cancelling and reordering... I just can't bring myself to wait another month for my car, the wait so far has been killing me. And I thought if I asked to add air suspension and pay the $500 change fee that would bump me into the new price book, but I was told it's too late to change anything, even though I'm still in queue.

The wait is tough but certainly better than it used to be. If someone offered you $4,500 and said all you had to do was wait an extra month would you do it? Best to get the exact car you want especially if cheaper.

I'm in a similar position, but not exactly. My car is set to go into production. My total cost was $106,820. This included the rear next gen seats, tech package, alacantara, air, etc. Now my same car would be $105,450. I would gain the interior lighting, and nappa leather, but lose the rear next gen seats. For me it was a wash, and so I'm sticking with my original and hoping it gets here quickly.

Same situation here as well I didnt go for the premiium interior as I thought the 3k price pint was too much, same for the UHFS. I was at `102,750.

Im in the queue for late April.

After re-pricing everything I can add the premium interior and still save 3200 with the 500.00 change fee included!
if i add the UHFS im still 770.00 better than my original order.

Trying to see if i can push it through with the changes and what I really what i could afford to pay versus what I wanted at the time. DS is susposed to check and see what they can do.

You've just been continuously improved.

You'll get no sympathy here. You will be told that your attitude is the result of being poorly raised & that if given three cookies, you should give (at least) two away to benefit your fellow man.

I've had a similar experience, but over less important options: I have an 85D in the "production que" for a May delivery. My current configuration has pretty much all of the options except the next gen seats and the new premium interior package (I have the old tech package that includes the power lift gate, cornering & fog lights, etc .... the new premium interior has those and adds some interior refinements). I've exchanged a number of emails with my DS to try and add the seats and the premium interior package (would add just under $2,000 to my current config), but to no avail since "we're too close to production and the parts have been sourced." Does anyone think it's worth trying to call Tesla main number in hopes of getting someone who can make this happen, or just blow it off and go with what undoubtably is still a great car?

I am a serial cancel and reorder. I first did it to get Next gen seats on a 85D. And that reorder confirmed April 7th. So now I've canceled again to switch to a 70D with premium/next gen. Overall a little less range, expected performance (since 70D matches original 85D) and a lot more little things (interior lighting mostly) for over $10k less.

And heck my original reservation was 12/2012!