Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing for Paint Armor, Radar detectors and other Aftermarket modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I was looking into getting the following things added to my car after taking delivery, however I have never done any aftermarket work on my previous vehicles. I was wondering what people think would be a good deal to get on each of these items. Also feel free to say if you feel I would be better off getting some other product.
  • Full body paint protection/clear-bra for the car 3M
  • 3M ceramic window tint
  • Beltronics STiR+ radar detector and blinder laser jammer
  • Front/rear parktronic system (or some other parking sensor)
  • Mobileye Collision Detection System

Thanks in advance for your input.

Front/rear parktronic system (or some other parking sensor)

I installed front parking sensors only, since the rear camera was good enough for me. Cost was less than $100, but took quite a bit of work (about 16 hours). Someone who's done these before might be able to install them quicker and I was documenting the process as I went.

Here's a great thread on parking sensors and Mobileye: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Here's my details installation instructions: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Tesla is also rumored to be developing a system, but I doubt it will be installable into existing cars. There is no wiring for it in place.

I installed front parking sensors only, since the rear camera was good enough for me. Cost was less than $100, but took quite a bit of work (about 16 hours). Someone who's done these before might be able to install them quicker and I was documenting the process as I went.

Here's a great thread on parking sensors and Mobileye: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Here's my details installation instructions: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Tesla is also rumored to be developing a system, but I doubt it will be installable into existing cars. There is no wiring for it in place.

Cool!

I went with a full Xpel wrap. folks I talked to touted it over 3M. it was about $5K and looks beautiful, virtually no lines, seams tucked... highly recommend, but brace yourself, it takes giving up the car for a week!
5K is extremely expensive. Tesla charges $900 and the places I spoke to for the complete wrap 3M said about $1,500. Why was it $5K for you? Does Xpel cost that much more, or did they just charge you a lot for the labor?

5K is extremely expensive. Tesla charges $900 and the places I spoke to for the complete wrap 3M said about $1,500. Why was it $5K for you? Does Xpel cost that much more, or did they just charge you a lot for the labor?

Sounds like he did the ENTIRE car. *everything* wrapped. Doors, rear, etc. Tesla's is only partial front (and HALF the hood, which is ridiculous looking).

I have aftermarket full XPEL Ultimate on FULL hood, front fenders, front bumper, nose cone, and mirror for $1395. All edges fully wrapped. Looks perfect. Can't even tell it's on. $5k does sound extremely high though, even for a full wrap.

I also have 3M Crystalline 40 on side windows and rear for $550.

I was quoted $1500 for a full front wrap (hood, front fenders, bumper, nose cone and mirrors, all tucked w/ minimal seams) using either 3M or SunTek. I ended up getting that plus the A-pillars, door rockers, headlights/fog lights and front rim of the rear fenders for $2100. Definitely worth it, especially the rear fenders and door rockers; after a spirited 35 mile mountain drive I could see where small rocks had been kicked up into these areas. No worries since the I opted for the SunTek, which is self healing like Xpel. Xpel at my installer would have run me 20% more, and has 2x the warranty (10 year vs. 5 year).

Sounds like he did the ENTIRE car. *everything* wrapped. Doors, rear, etc. Tesla's is only partial front (and HALF the hood, which is ridiculous looking).

$5k is about right for every painted surface plus lights, nosecone, and the strip above the windshield. It takes a week. I did get quotes for less, but not from places where I received a good feeling.