TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pricing for Paint Armor, Radar detectors and other Aftermarket modifications

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by hershey101, Apr 8, 2013.

1. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Hi Everyone,
    I was looking into getting the following things added to my car after taking delivery, however I have never done any aftermarket work on my previous vehicles. I was wondering what people think would be a good deal to get on each of these items. Also feel free to say if you feel I would be better off getting some other product.
    • Full body paint protection/clear-bra for the car 3M
    • 3M ceramic window tint
    • Beltronics STiR+ radar detector and blinder laser jammer
    • Front/rear parktronic system (or some other parking sensor)
    • Mobileye Collision Detection System

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. vcor

vcor Member

I installed front parking sensors only, since the rear camera was good enough for me. Cost was less than $100, but took quite a bit of work (about 16 hours). Someone who's done these before might be able to install them quicker and I was documenting the process as I went.

Here's a great thread on parking sensors and Mobileye: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Here's my details installation instructions: Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

Tesla is also rumored to be developing a system, but I doubt it will be installable into existing cars. There is no wiring for it in place.

3. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Cool!

4. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I went with a full Xpel wrap. folks I talked to touted it over 3M. it was about $5K and looks beautiful, virtually no lines, seams tucked... highly recommend, but brace yourself, it takes giving up the car for a week!

5. hershey101

hershey101 Member

5K is extremely expensive. Tesla charges $900 and the places I spoke to for the complete wrap 3M said about $1,500. Why was it $5K for you? Does Xpel cost that much more, or did they just charge you a lot for the labor?

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he did the ENTIRE car. *everything* wrapped. Doors, rear, etc. Tesla's is only partial front (and HALF the hood, which is ridiculous looking).

I have aftermarket full XPEL Ultimate on FULL hood, front fenders, front bumper, nose cone, and mirror for $1395. All edges fully wrapped. Looks perfect. Can't even tell it's on. $5k does sound extremely high though, even for a full wrap.

I also have 3M Crystalline 40 on side windows and rear for $550.

7. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I was quoted $1500 for a full front wrap (hood, front fenders, bumper, nose cone and mirrors, all tucked w/ minimal seams) using either 3M or SunTek. I ended up getting that plus the A-pillars, door rockers, headlights/fog lights and front rim of the rear fenders for $2100. Definitely worth it, especially the rear fenders and door rockers; after a spirited 35 mile mountain drive I could see where small rocks had been kicked up into these areas. No worries since the I opted for the SunTek, which is self healing like Xpel. Xpel at my installer would have run me 20% more, and has 2x the warranty (10 year vs. 5 year).

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

$5k is about right for every painted surface plus lights, nosecone, and the strip above the windshield. It takes a week. I did get quotes for less, but not from places where I received a good feeling.

9. bbamrah

bbamrah Member

$7500 for me for full xpel ultimate (self healing) passport 9500ci and blinder 905 quad system. I am paranoid I guess, but plan on having the car for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD