Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing of options, I hope the Model 3 is reasonable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with both of you. I think dealership badging is annoying advertising, but I don't mind stock badging, as long as it's reasonable. The brand, model, and maybe major trim level. You don't need 10 badges to describe how each piece of the drivetrain works! My X is currently debadged from getting wrapped, and I'm going to get it put back on. Hopefully it will cut down on the uninformed questions of "is that the new Model 3?!"

So... when I put my license plate on, I used the Tesla frame. Does that count as "dealership advertising"? ;)

Reactions: Red Sage
Are we confirmed that the panoramic windshield will be an option? It sounds like it's default on the X and not an option at all on the S, so maybe the car has to be built with it being there in mind. At least I can hope....
I believe the options will be a metal roof, all glass roof, or "pano" roof (glass roof that opens). I'll be going for all glass, and hope the small support beam between the top of the windshield and the glass roof isn't too distracting (I'm love the windshield on the X).

I never understood badging...some cars come with information about the transmission pasted on the trunk. Engine size, and number of doors also appear on badges. So,,,what..?? I pull off my cars the Dealership logos as soon as it arrives in my driveway. I am contemplating removing my Tesla logo upon arrival. Who cares if it is a S60 or s75 or s85? What business is it to anyone if I have dual motors? If my logo is underlined, am I challenging the fellow behind me to a drag demonstration? I think a smooth trunk is quiet elegance and conveys nothing to the rest of the world - which is what I like. I guess there are some who like to boast - but I see no value in the prestige thing: *I can afford the PXXD model with the ludicrous underline*
Perhaps. But I've noted that BMW and Mercedes-Benz owners going for a 'pure blackout' theme for several years, prolly three decades or so. They get black cars, tint the windows to limo-black level, exchange tail lights and headlight lens covers for smoked out versions, apply oversized black BBS wheels with aggressive tires, add blackened ground effects, wings, and spoilers, conceal all remaining chrome with black paint or plasti-dip, and remove all badging. I suspect they are going for the opposite effect of what you might intend: pure intimidation. "Don't mess with me. My car is BAD, MAN!" I doubt it works. Because I've seen the same treatments done to Honda, Acura, Subaru, and other cars in more recent years. Likely because owners of those cars realize they can blow the doors off of a BMW 320d that is perpetrating a fraud -- and still get better fuel economy.

Sorry to necrobump this thread, but I was working on an excel worksheet to help price out an TM3 with Tax, delivery charge, financing and whatnot. I can even put in some currency exchange rates if the need arises.

So, I've been through this thread and would like some updated pricing on what people think options and pricing will be for the TM3.

• Upgraded Paint $1,000
  • Premium Paint $1,500
  • Wheels $2,500
  • Premium Wheels $4,500
  • Battery Upgrade $10,000 - Maybe an entire differnet model line?
  • AWD $4,000 - Elon Tweeted that it will be cheaper than current D models, but not by how much
  • Premium Upgrades $3,500
  • Enhanced Autopilot $5,000
  • Full Self-Driving $8,000 - (includes Enh. AP)
  • SubZero $1,000
  • Sound $2,500
  • Air Suspension $2,500
  • High Amperage $1,500
  • Full Glass Roof $1,500
  • Opening Sunroof $2,000
  • Premium Seats $2,500
  • Ludicrous Mode $10,000
Let me know if there have been any tweetings regarding the exclusion or inclusion of options. I'll get some more work on this as I go.

**PS: Might this work better in a Google Sheet rather than excel?

Sorry to necrobump this thread, but I was working on an excel worksheet to help price out an TM3 with Tax, delivery charge, financing and whatnot. I can even put in some currency exchange rates if the need arises.

So, I've been through this thread and would like some updated pricing on what people think options and pricing will be for the TM3.

• Upgraded Paint $1,000
  • Premium Paint $1,500
  • Wheels $2,500
  • Premium Wheels $4,500
  • AWD $4,000 - Elon Tweeted that it will be cheaper than current D models, but not by how much
  • SubZero $1,000
  • Sound $2,500
  • Air Suspension $2,500
  • High Amperage $1,500
  • Full Glass Roof $1,500
  • Opening Sunroof $2,000
  • Premium Seats $2,500
  • Ludicrous Mode $10,000
Let me know if there have been any tweetings regarding the exclusion or inclusion of options. I'll get some more work on this as I go.

I'd be pretty surprised if prices of options for Model ☰ are quite that aggressive, or even available. That is, some of those things will likely be bundled with other items, so that the overall cost is lower, and manufacturing is quicker. I doubt there will be an especially long list of a la carte choices to be made when ordering. I haven't read through the whole list, but you might consider putting a 0.75 multiplier to those amounts, and possibly 0.50 for some of them...

• Upgraded Paint $1,000
  • Premium Paint $1,500
  • Wheels $2,500
  • Premium Wheels $4,500
  • SubZero $1,000
  • Sound $2,500
  • Air Suspension $2,500
  • High Amperage $1,500
  • Full Glass Roof $1,500
  • Opening Sunroof $2,000
  • Premium Seats $2,500
  • Ludicrous Mode $10,000

There is already this one that is used pretty heavily: Model3Tracker.info

If you still create your own you need to add towing and the accessory hitch.

I'd be pretty surprised if prices of options for Model ☰ are quite that aggressive, or even available. That is, some of those things will likely be bundled with other items, so that the overall cost is lower, and manufacturing is quicker. I doubt there will be an especially long list of a la carte choices to be made when ordering. I haven't read through the whole list, but you might consider putting a 0.75 multiplier to those amounts, and possibly 0.50 for some of them...

This is something that I've been trying to reverse engineer. Based on Model S tiers, and options; I got a percent of base price number from the 60, 75, 90D, and P100D (where applicable). I then took the average of these percents and pitted them against the base price of the Model 3. Here are the prices that I found and how they compare to the current pricing.

Note: I don't have all the options on this sheet.

TM3 Option Pricing Work.xlsx

It's all guesswork right now, but what else are we going to do until Elon comes out on stage for the second reveal?

Here's my situation. I'm hoping to get a mid-range battery to get as close to 300 miles per charge as possible. I expect that will add a considerable amount onto the base price.

Due to the weak pound, $35000 USD is equivalent to around £28000. Take off £4500 for the government grant, that's around £25k for the base model. This isn't figuring in the inevitable price bump Tesla might put on it. I imagine it'll get worse over the next few years with Brexit and a strengthening USD.

Going by the Model S, the jump from a base 60khw to a 75khw battery is £6400. The Model 3 jump might not be that high but I'm guessing it'll work out around £30k for a 75khw battery.

I don't think the highest end model will be much higher than £60k / $75k, though. The most expensive possible Model S works out as around twice the price of the base model, I think we'll probably be looking at something similar for the Model 3. If they do make a P100D with Ludicrous mode for the Model 3, maybe that will figure in around £100k.

I don't think the highest end model will be much higher than £60k / $75k, though. The most expensive possible Model S works out as around twice the price of the base model, I think we'll probably be looking at something similar for the Model 3. If they do make a P100D with Ludicrous mode for the Model 3, maybe that will figure in around £100k.
My guesswork goes along these lines...

After the way the Press all over jumped on the Model X and for months never mentioned the actual base price of that car, just as they didn't mention the high end version of the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne cost more than the Founders series, I'm sure Elon Musk and Tesla Motors want very much to NOT fall into that trap again. So, the Press will be introduced to the 'barebones', bottom-of-the-line version of the Model ☰ that can be had for an actual $35,000 FIRST. Later, they'll be given a turn with the higher trim level cars. Because so-called 'journalists' will NOT report on something from Tesla unless it actually exists (though they have no problem speaking of vaporware from others). "No, we're not biased," they'll say, "We were only shown the top end car from Tesla, so we quoted ITS price. There were no other versions on hand when we demoed them..." But those same guys spent the whole past year gushing over the camera rear view mirror on the Chevrolet BOLT when that isn't standard on the car. Anyway, Tesla will fix that $#!+ right off.

As I said before, it is highly unlikely that the options list for Model ☰ will be particularly extensive when it comes to a la carte items and features. Tesla has to design the car for ease of manufacture, so a Porsche style 'Exclusive Series' list of customizable line items isn't going to happen. That would slow down overall Production too much, and the inventory control would be outrageous at the intended Capacity. The trim levels for the cars will likely be based upon battery pack capacity and drivetrain configuration. I expect that those who want a Performance rear wheel drive car are going to be disappointed. And it will probably be possible to add as much as $15,000 in options to each trim level. That should be enough to make sure the top-of-the-line, fully loaded version of Model ☰ ends up being a comparative bargain compared to its ICE based direct competitors.

So, a $35,000 base level car would be rear wheel drive and have the lowest offered battery pack capacity. If someone were to tick all the boxes on options, they might be able to get it to as much as $50,000 by adding $15,000 worth of stuff. I think the second trim level would probably be a dual motor all wheel drive configuration with a mid-level capacity battery pack. I expect it would have a price point of perhaps $42,000. So adding $15,000 in options would get you to around $57,000 for an extremely well equipped vehicle. Finally, there would be the Performance oriented version with a starting price of $50,000-to-$55,000 configured with dual motor all wheel drive and the highest capacity battery pack. Adding $15,000 in options would bring it to the $65,000-to-$70,000 range. Thus, a fully loaded Model ☰ would cost precisely twice as much as the base car, at most.

What are those individual options or options packages? How much do they cost? Heck, Idunno. Don't care really. Like I said, the car is going to be a BARGAIN compared to competitors no matter how it is adorned. Though, I'm pretty sure there will be some things that can be added to any car, and that at certain trim levels some things that would have been options on lower trims will become standard instead. I could likely live with the big wheels and tires for a Performance Model ☰ if they are mandatory, but I hope I don't have to get a leatherized interior, as I personally prefer cloth/textile seating.

Reactions: DaDr00 and Falkirk
As I said before, it is highly unlikely that the options list for Model ☰ will be particularly extensive when it comes to a la carte items and features. Tesla has to design the car for ease of manufacture, so a Porsche style 'Exclusive Series' list of customizable line items isn't going to happen. That would slow down overall Production too much, and the inventory control would be outrageous at the intended Capacity. The trim levels for the cars will likely be based upon battery pack capacity and drivetrain configuration. I expect that those who want a Performance rear wheel drive car are going to be disappointed. And it will probably be possible to add as much as $15,000 in options to each trim level. That should be enough to make sure the top-of-the-line, fully loaded version of Model ☰ ends up being a comparative bargain compared to its ICE based direct competitors.

I actually got my sums wrong, I went onto the Tesla website and picked a P100D Model S with absolutely everything, including the most expensive seats, carbon fibre decor, paint etc and it came out at £159,650. The absolute base model 60, black paint work, nothing picked is £58,900.

What I'm going on here is the lower cost of production (which, as you say, would be achievable by standardising the range as much as possible by selling packages rather than individual features) and Tesla's mission for the Model E, which is to basically make it the 21st century equivalent to Ford's Model T - opening up powerful new technology to the masses.

We could be looking at three ranges of Model 3. The base model, an intermediate model and a top model. If you order the top model, you could probably get things like ludicrous mode added to it but they'll have to be careful because they won't want to cut into Model S sales.

Another thing... we'll see the big ICE manufacturers release their own EVs over the next four years which will be competitive to the Model 3 in terms of range and pricing, but I don't think anyone has quite understood that the reason why Tesla has been successful is because they've offered the technology AND the styling. The cars just look cool, in a way that a Nissan Leaf and a Chevy Bolt just don't, and look at the Model 3 - it looks like a cross between an Aston Martin and a Porsche, but it'll sell for the same price as a top-range VW Golf. That's insane.

It'll be interesting to see what the others come out with over the next few years but it might be that Apple will end up being Tesla's biggest competitor in the EV market, and I think Apple will charge a lot more than $35k.

We could be looking at three ranges of Model 3. The base model, an intermediate model and a top model. If you order the top model, you could probably get things like ludicrous mode added to it but they'll have to be careful because they won't want to cut into Model S sales.
The three levels you and Red mention make sense and I can definitely see that happening. They've already said ludicrous will be available and, historically, it has only been available with the largest battery and dual motors so I'd bet that that will still be the case. Not sure if they'll include it automatically though since it does add quite a bit to the cost.

As for cutting into Model S sales I'm sure they aren't worried about that. Sure, they will be some but no where near as much as some people seem to think.

The Model S was released with an expectation of an eight year product cycle and moving perhaps 15,000 units per year worldwide. After 4-1/2 years since its release they have sold the equivalent of eleven years' worth of cars at that rate. Tesla has no concerns whatsoever about cutting into Model S sales. Every one of them they sell from now on is pure gravy, extra play money on top of a hugely successful product line. Elon Musk announced in early 2013 their intent for their Generation III vehicles to reach 500,000 units per year by 2020. There is no reason to artificially limit the Model ☰ Performance Edition, just as BMW has no problem with their M3 blowing the doors off their 7-Series flagship. This has been the plan all along.

It'll be interesting to see what the others come out with over the next few years but it might be that Apple will end up being Tesla's biggest competitor in the EV market, and I think Apple will charge a lot more than $35k.
If Apple tries, they'll end up in the same situation as GM is in with the BOLT. They'll be rebadging hardware from FOXCONN, just as GM is rebadging an LG car.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
As for cutting into Model S sales I'm sure they aren't worried about that. Sure, they will be some but no where near as much as some people seem to think.
Agreed. Also remember that the higher optioned a vehicle is, the higher the margins. I see no reason Tesla wouldn't prefer to sell you a $70k decked out Model 3 rather than a base Model S.

Reactions: Red Sage and dsvick