Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing on CPOs - market status?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant if I purchased a Tesla vehicle through a third party dealership and have it inspected by Tesla themselves before final purchase.

Nope, still can't get warranty added. The only way to get warranty that goes beyond the original is to get a CPO from Tesla. You can have Tesla do the inspection but that's just checking the car.

Now if it's a private sale and they qualify for extending their warranty (<4 years, <50k miles, did annual services) then you can have them add the extended warranty (4 years, 50k miles) then sell you the car. I don't believe there's any to extend the warranty if it's from a dealer, only the original owner can do the warranty extension.

Reactions: Brutaka
Nope, still can't get warranty added. The only way to get warranty that goes beyond the original is to get a CPO from Tesla. You can have Tesla do the inspection but that's just checking the car.

Now if it's a private sale and they qualify for extending their warranty (<4 years, <50k miles, did annual services) then you can have them add the extended warranty (4 years, 50k miles) then sell you the car. I don't believe there's any to extend the warranty if it's from a dealer, only the original owner can do the warranty extension.
Ah ok. Much understandable now. So if they found something wrong with the vehicle, it's covered under the 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty the vehicle has left?

Exactly. I would find a private party CPO car or get one through Tesla only. Once a dealer or broker has touched it, you cannot get an ESA.

This hasn't been the policy for over two years now. Any Tesla bought through a private party is still eligible for the ESA, as long as it hadn't passed through a used car dealer in the past.

You no longer have to have a private seller "pre-buy" the ESA for you prior to sale. You can buy it yourself once you own the car, and assuming it qualifies (mileage and age).

See: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I agree but see the alleged outlier incident in post #39 in this thread -- suggesting that a non-original owner in a chain of only private owners was denied ESA. I'm highly skeptical that this is an official reversion to old "original owner" policy but......

ESA - now eligible even with dealer in chain of ownership?

We covered that thoroughly in that thread. Clearly whoever told them that info was mis-informed or flat out just wrong.

Their statement makes absolutely no logical sense: “We consider the seller of a vehicle to be a 3rd party dealer in all situations except when the vehicle is a certified pre owned vehicle being sold by Tesla."

Reactions: Olds442
No doubt - WE all agreed "that info was mis-informed or flat out just wrong. But the guy who claimed it happened never came back to tell us how it worked out with Tesla. As I said, I'm highly skeptical (hence my reference to the "alleged" incident) but absent a retraction from the guy, its still part of the discussion.

A few new P85Ds that have been added have been priced in the high 70s to even 80s. Plus they are disappearing quicker than they were about a month ago. I think the prices are going up again on the CPO site.
I've found a few dealer P85Ds but one of them which already had a clean carfax Tesla confirmed had some body work done so I'm probably going to see what CPO prices do closer to the end of next quarter and pick one up then.

It's interesting watching Tesla's strategy with selling these CPO cars, they start them out high and gradually reduce the price on them over 3 -4 weeks before pulling them off the site and then immediately relisting them at a higher price. At the moment there is a P85D with 27K miles on for $59,600, it started out at $75K 3 weeks ago, my guess is Telsa will give it one more price drop to say $58, 600 before relisting it back at $74K. Some of the P85D's that are on the site have been there for months and have just been continually relisted in the hope they will sell. Occasionally Tesla will put 50 cars off the site in a very short space of time and then just add them back in a few weeks later on. I've seen a couple of P85D's sell for $1000's more than what could have been purchased for a few weeks prior. I've only been looking at P85D's and their actual sale range is usually between $58K - $64K range. If your in the market for a CPO I'd suggest watching the site and keeping a log of the inventory, chances are you will see the same cars over and over until they eventually sell.

It's interesting watching Tesla's strategy with selling these CPO cars, they start them out high and gradually reduce the price on them over 3 -4 weeks before pulling them off the site and then immediately relisting them at a higher price. At the moment there is a P85D with 27K miles on for $59,600, it started out at $75K 3 weeks ago, my guess is Telsa will give it one more price drop to say $58, 600 before relisting it back at $74K. Some of the P85D's that are on the site have been there for months and have just been continually relisted in the hope they will sell. Occasionally Tesla will put 50 cars off the site in a very short space of time and then just add them back in a few weeks later on. I've seen a couple of P85D's sell for $1000's more than what could have been purchased for a few weeks prior. I've only been looking at P85D's and their actual sale range is usually between $58K - $64K range. If your in the market for a CPO I'd suggest watching the site and keeping a log of the inventory, chances are you will see the same cars over and over until they eventually sell.

I haven’t been following as long as you, but I’ll take you at your word. Definitely I haven’t seen that many 85D cycle through, some have actually been sold. I’ll guess I’ll start tracking the VINs. It always been a mystery when cars get relisted, was it because someone refused at delivery or just a Tesla pricing trick as you’re observing.

I haven’t been following as long as you, but I’ll take you at your word. Definitely I haven’t seen that many 85D cycle through, some have actually been sold. I’ll guess I’ll start tracking the VINs. It always been a mystery when cars get relisted, was it because someone refused at delivery or just a Tesla pricing trick as you’re observing.

Here's one example of Tesla's pricing, P85D with 42K miles, a week ago you could have bought this one for $65K

5YJSA4H23FFP79861 $74,100 current price
$74,100 - 18 hours ago Relist
$73,300 - 1 day ago
$74,400 - 2 days ago
$75,500 - 3 days ago
$76,600 - 4 days ago
$77,700 - 5 days ago
$78,800 - 1 week ago
$79,100 - 1 week ago Relist
$65,000 - 1 week ago
$66,100 - 2 weeks ago
$67,200 - 2 weeks ago
$68,200 - 2 weeks ago
$69,300 - 2 weeks ago
$70,400 - 2 weeks ago
$71,500 - 3 weeks ago
$72,600 - 3 weeks ago
$73,700 - 3 weeks ago
$74,800 - 3 weeks ago
$75,900 - 3 weeks ago
$77,000 - 3 weeks ago
$78,000 - 3 weeks ago Relist
$72,200 - 4 weeks ago

Im Looking for a CPO in decent condition.2014 or 2015 I have started to look and actually put a deposit on a P85
However, when they sent pictures the quality of car was poor so OA told me they'd refund me.
I continue to look but I'd like to stay under 52,000
Looking for Panoramic Sunroof- AP1-Blue, black, or white.
I can go with either wheels and either suspension.
If possible premium interior with Ultra sound.
Question- Is my price point realistic or will it have to be higher. I haven't been in market long enough to really gauge what the averages are.
Used Telsainventory to kind of get price history, but it seems to be all over the place.
Any help would be great