Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing/Option Aftermath: Still buying?

Have your Model S plans changed?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
While I know some were happy, I also know there was a lot of disappointment regarding some of the pricing (3.7K for tech? ugh) and options (no Supercharger access for 160) released yesterday. So, with the dust beginning to settle (there are still some things that need to be clarified), where do you stand? Are you still planning on purchasing the Model S? If you are, are you getting the same options that you originally planned? Upgrading? Downgrading?

Personally, I'm still wavering a bit between keeping it the same and downgrading my reservation.

Last edited:
Depends on a couple factors:
- Whether Sig price sticks or not. Tesla screwed up on it with the surcharge. Either that gets fixed or I'm not getting the Sig.
- How Tesla treats a Sig holder if they drop to general production. If I go to the end of the line, that's a seriously poor PR move and I'll probably drop out completely.

I was always planning on a non-sig, non-sport 300-mile version, hopefully with extra seats and pano-roof, and those prices stuck to expectations so I will continue to save up and stick to my place in the queue. The only disappointment was the steep tech package, everything else was pretty much expected for my setup.

I have to think long and hard about the tech package (having a 17 inch screen and a window mounted GPS seems ridiculous, but so does $3750). If I unexpectedly stumble over an enormous pile of cash, I may consider the sport-version.

I am a high Sig holder and have decided to get a non-Sig reservation to hold my place in that line as well. I'm comparing a non-Sig Performance to a non-Performance Sig and trying to determine which is a better package given the options that I want and am willing to pay for. I'm unhappy that the Sig is only available in 4 colors. It also has some options I don't necessarily need. It appears I can get a non-Sig Performance for close to the same price (around $2K more) since I can eliminate the Sig options I don't want. A Performance Sig is just out of my price range, so I'm eliminating it from consideration.

The key is the timing difference. How much longer will I have to wait if I decided to go with the non-Sig Performance. I'm also waiting to see if any of the Sig options or pricing changes over the next few months.

The new pricing and options look alright to mee, so far.
But until I see the european pricing I can say for shure (it would help with EU pricing witch just did follow the exchange rate of USD/EU/DKK)

I find the different models / options priced correctly, they seam to reflect the value and cost to produce and I will select as needed/wishlist.

Depends on a couple factors:
- Whether Sig price sticks or not. Tesla screwed up on it with the surcharge. Either that gets fixed or I'm not getting the Sig.
- How Tesla treats a Sig holder if they drop to general production. If I go to the end of the line, that's a seriously poor PR move and I'll probably drop out completely.

I agree for the most part. I'm disappointed it's an upcharge (vs on the Roadster, it meant a discount), but at the same time I can see the whole exclusivity thing (plus other things we don't know about yet). Though, if I wanted to drop back to a P and I got a slot at the end of the line instead of my old position, I probably wouldn't drop out, I'd probably just tough it out with the sig.

I'm unhappy that the Sig is only available in 4 colors.

Yeah. I actually liked the non-sig white better than the sig white. Although, when I saw it in person at the factory, the sig white wasn't THAT bad... I just don't like that the only special paint is the red.

I need the European prices to be able to make any kind of informed decision. Though this has drastically lowered my expectations for what Tesla will offer in my price range. I'm guessing the product just wont be good enough.

Cobos

I agree for the most part. I'm disappointed it's an upcharge (vs on the Roadster, it meant a discount), but at the same time I can see the whole exclusivity thing (plus other things we don't know about yet). Though, if I wanted to drop back to a P and I got a slot at the end of the line instead of my old position, I probably wouldn't drop out, I'd probably just tough it out with the sig.

I'm on board with you and ckessel. I was front of the line with a regular reservation (P96), then when they said the Sig would have 300 miles and rear facing seats, I upgraded to a Sig (#304). It seems bizarre to me that they charge a premium to Sig holders for the option of Red, Sig badging, and getting it a few months earlier. If anything, paying the $40k up front on faith should have given the Sig people at least a slight discount for buying a fully loaded car, or a bunch of features not available on a regular production car. Didn't they always say the Sig would have special things that the regular car wouldn't? Besides the red (which is available in 2013), what does the Sig have that a regular car doesn't? And yet we're supposed to pay an extra $5k for the privilege? Very weird.

A buddy with a Sig reservation spoke to someone today who said that for people who drop their reservation down to a regular (non-Sig), they will allow you to get it in the Fall of 2012. If that's the case, I think they'll really struggle to even sell 1000 Signatures in the US (hopefully they won't make the same mistake overseas). I assume I'd be able to get my old P96 slot back, so I'm basically going to ask Tesla why I should keep my Signature reservation when it seems I'm basically being punished financially for reserving a Sig!

A buddy with a Sig reservation spoke to someone today who said that for people who drop their reservation down to a regular (non-Sig), they will allow you to get it in the Fall of 2012.
Yea, a fellow on the TM forums just said:
Switched back from sig 587 to production-she told me they will place me at a good spot in the line, not at the back (I was about 2300 before I upgraded)
I still think they screwed up on the Sig pricing, but that news alleviates my fear of the uncertainty about what happens if I drop the Sig.

I still think they screwed up on the Sig pricing

Do we think there's any possibility that they change their minds on the Sig pricing because of this blowback? Other than people with so much money that they really don't care, or who are super-desperate to get the car a couple of months earlier, or who MUST have a red car, I can't imagine who would keep their Sig reservation under the circumstances. Tesla seems pretty open to admitting a mistake and fixing it. The problem is that for them to cut the Sig price by $10k (for example) would cost them $10 million alone in revenue (1000 x $10k per car) in the US alone.

Do we think there's any possibility that they change their minds on the Sig pricing because of this blowback? ... The problem is that for them to cut the Sig price by $10k (for example) would cost them $10 million alone in revenue (1000 x $10k per car) in the US alone.
No idea. If Tesla can get a 1000 people to fork over extra money I guess good for them. I won't be one of them though. The price was already pushing it to me anyway since it has things I really don't care in the least about (2nd charger) and lacks things I do (pano roof) so even if they lowered the Sig to match an equivalent upgraded base model, they're getting folks to buy things they wouldn't otherwise.

At least a few people are dropping Sig reservations, but maybe there will be enough demand before July to fill them out anyway.

Last edited:
We also don't yet know if there will be some other "goodies" included in the Signature package. I don't know if that will happen or not, and at this point it isn't going to change my decision either way, but it would make me feel better about paying extra. A little good will goes a long way...

Besides the red (which is available in 2013), what does the Sig have that a regular car doesn't? And yet we're supposed to pay an extra $5k for the privilege? Very weird.

To be fair, a color called "Muir Red" will be available in 2013, not the signature red. I agree with the rest though, we made a big commitment and didn't really get much for it. I THINK the karma folks got a better deal on the sigs, and of course the Roadster folks did too.

A buddy with a Sig reservation spoke to someone today who said that for people who drop their reservation down to a regular (non-Sig), they will allow you to get it in the Fall of 2012.

That's actually good to know. I plan to wait it out a bit, but yeah, the 300 performance is basically all I need. The sig stuff was just cool to have.

Do we think there's any possibility that they change their minds on the Sig pricing because of this blowback?

Not sure, but I'd hope so. I want to see it more like it was on the Roadster vs a penalty (especially for those who have had deposits for years).

At least a free corporate jacket=)

I would hope they change it so at least you're paying the same as an upgraded regular production or a small premium. I've will have had my deposit down for about 40 months by delivery so they should throw something in, maybe an HPC or something.

We also don't yet know if there will be some other "goodies" included in the Signature package. I don't know if that will happen or not, and at this point it isn't going to change my decision either way, but it would make me feel better about paying extra. A little good will goes a long way...

I called and asked this question specifically about any other "goodies", and was told that this is basically it. Signature Red, Signature badging, and earlier delivery are the sum and substance of the "unique" aspects of the Signature versus non-Sig cars. Maybe instead of dropping the price of the Sig they'll scramble to add something (or more than one thing) at this point to assuage the Sig reservation holders who are expressing their frustration about this pricing issue.

I called and asked this question specifically about any other "goodies", and was told that this is basically it. Signature Red, Signature badging, and earlier delivery are the sum and substance of the "unique" aspects of the Signature versus non-Sig cars. Maybe instead of dropping the price of the Sig they'll scramble to add something (or more than one thing) at this point to assuage the Sig reservation holders who are expressing their frustration about this pricing issue.

Like a standard (or no charge) pano roof for one.

Who did you ask? My sales rep said he didn't know if there would be more signature features in the package.

I, for one, am relieved that the price schedule of the basic model S didn't creep upwards. Makes me believe that Tesla is truly interested in striking a harmonious balance between maximizing profits and making a battery powered car available to the widest range of people (and income levels).

Since I'm basically getting a commuter car, I don't really need a GPS option to find my office. When I go places where I could use a little help, I have a phone app for that.

Still can't justify the Signature version to my better half, so I will have to wait. And wait. And wait...

--Ardie