Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing question on MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my MX story: Originally I did a custom order and it was just taking a bit so I started looking at Inventory MX and someone other than my SA helped me find a vehicle which was a configuration I wanted. This was at a dealership in Southern CA so I asked my SA to divert my deposit to this car and get it to Bay Area. This MX had a price adjustment of $1500 and no one was able to clearly tell me why hence I had to assume that this must be a demo vehicle.

Now Nov 10th price change happened so I asked my SA to get the price adjusted. It took a long time but the end result was that Tesla took away the $1500 adjustment and then adjusted $2300 on the same vehicle. When I asked why 1500 was taken away no real explanation was provided but that you are getting the same price as if you build a car on the web today which is fair in a way but previously I was told that Tesla does not discount and price adjustments are only made by the system based on certain components and its done via some algorithm so I am wondering why there was a 1500 adjustment at the first place. Anyone heard or knows about anything. Was this just an MX sitting at the dealer and Tesla wanted to get rid of it and hence it was discounted. My SA claims its brand new MX and has never been used but when I asked her to confirm it over email she ignores my request. I am just curious to know/understand how they price and what could be the reason. Who at Tesla can answer?

Thanks

Hi probably just inventory car with some extra miles. The warranty still stands for 4 years. Tesla only discount inventory and CPO cars and usually end of quarter for best discounts. Check the mileage anything up to 50-100 miles is normal. It’s possible it could have been a showroom car but you would know as there would be wear and tear on the seat especially

Last edited:
Reactions: piyu7444
Miles equals 50 is a new car with less than 50 miles. So, not demo or used. If you’ve seen the car and it looks okay, I’d take it.

A new order for west coast could happen any time in the quarter, perhaps later. (East coast would be end of quarter....)

I have not seen the car and mostly won't see it till delivery (12/9) If it's new I am taking it and if it's demo I am rejecting it although consequences could be unknown. Dont want to miss the tax credit for sure.

I think for Model 3, Tesla might pre-produce a numbers of cars and if it's matched yours, you'll get it quickly with no reduction in price.

I don't think that is the case for Model S or X.

If there's a Model S or X lying somewhere waiting for you, I would think it's:

1) Used: unlikely because the rep verbally says it's new and 50 miles and you get tax credit.
2) Demo-display: Posible for display only and not for test drive to keep it 50 miles.
3) Demo-Test drive: unlikely because of reasons above
4) Orphan: It's customized order from an owner who never takes the delivery. It could be because of loan not approved, defects or other reasons.

It's likely scenario #2 or 4 as the car is "new", not driven (#2) and untouched (#4) but you get a discount.

If it's a brand new without going to those above 4 scenario, you should not get a price reduction at all.

Its ModelX - Tesla confirmed in writing its Brand new - not used for demo or otherwise. It was indeed discounted for $1500 but due to the price change they just adjusted the price of $2300 (so increment of 800) and said this is the final price as its a brand new car. They took a long time for a price adjustment and then creating an MVPA so missed 2 pickup/delivery appt. Finally going to pick it on Friday, Dec 14th. Cant wait and hope its flawless and nothing major!

Reactions: Bogobec
Its ModelX - Tesla confirmed in writing its Brand new - not used for demo or otherwise. It was indeed discounted for $1500 but due to the price change they just adjusted the price of $2300 (so increment of 800) and said this is the final price as its a brand new car. They took a long time for a price adjustment and then creating an MVPA so missed 2 pickup/delivery appt. Finally going to pick it on Friday, Dec 14th. Cant wait and hope its flawless and nothing major!

Since you haven’t reported yet, I assume you’re out driving the new MX.....

Do tell how the delivery went for you

Since you haven’t reported yet, I assume you’re out driving the new MX.....

Do tell how the delivery went for you
I was actually sick but got my MX delivered just Friday evening. The delivery person was the best Tesla employee so far and we were kinda lucky that there were minor things which we noted and have already scheduled an appointment for Monday. The car is FAB and runs great. I am still learning some features but it charged OK overnight. The summon feature wasn't really working while moving the car forward to the garage (my garage entrance has a little bit elevation) although reverse (out of the garage) worked fine. I like the big glass top and self-presenting door.

Does anyone know in CA if I want special lic plate do I need to wait for the usual one to come in or I need to ask Tesla to apply for me as they are handling DMV for me?

Happy now. : ) :) :)
Merry Xmas to all.

Reactions: WaitingForY