Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering selling my October 2016 Blue Tesla Model S P100D with Ludicrous. The car has every option including Rear Facing Seats and is a bit of a unicorn as it has perforated heated and cooled seats and AP1 that works flawlessly. I currently have 20,750 Miles and the car is wrapped with Luminar in the front, mirrors, and rear bumper. Also has light carbon tinted windows. Original price was $158K. Car is in perfect condition, no scratches, issues or any history of service issues.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on how I should think about pricing this car.

Thanks!

-$7500 for Federal tax rebate
-$20,750 in mileage
-$12,000 per model year in depreciation (about $1000 per month for first two years)
This should get you close to market price.

Once the P130D comes out increase the depreciation per month by $250.

I did a write up on here somewhere showing the federal tax write down comparision between an X and a S.

Be glad you got an S because the X depreciation rate is far more aggressive. Once you go beyond 2 years of ownership the depreciation rate pr month slows down significantly.

Don't forget that they also dropped the price of the P100D by $5k in 8/2017 and then also made the Preimum package and upgraded interiors standard. So that will drop the price by ~$12k too.

In addition Tesla has offered massive discounts on P100D demo cars so you'll be competing with those as well.

I did a write up on here somewhere showing the federal tax write down comparision between an X and a S.

Be glad you got an S because the X depreciation rate is far more aggressive. Once you go beyond 2 years of ownership the depreciation rate pr month slows down significantly.

Could you re-post the write-up? Based on current used X prices, I'm not really resale being affected by the federal tax credit.

Mine was loaded except for the rear facing seats and 72 AMP charger. Included was photosync tint, Quartz paint protection, dash cams, and black arachnid wheels. Less than 17,000 miles. Sold this month for more than $115k. FYI, Tesla had offered $94 as trade in value.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
-$7500 for Federal tax rebate
-$20,750 in mileage
-$12,000 per model year in depreciation (about $1000 per month for first two years)
This should get you close to market price.

Once the P130D comes out increase the depreciation per month by $250.

That's an excellent analysis of the resale value. The depreciation for a P100D for the first year is likely around $3,000 a month for the first year (assuming average mileage) given that the monthly cost of a 3 year lease is around $2,000 and that's with the depreciation averaged over 3 years when the first year depreciation is the greatest.

Coupled with the analysis above and the P100D price reduction, I think this car will sell in the prvate market for around $100-110 or likely somewhere in between.

If you do sell the car, sell it soon because these numbers will only go down from here and if Tesla releases a major update to AP2 that could reduce the value of your AP1 car significantly so if you are selling, sell before AP2 gets a major software update.

Unfortunately, the most expensive Teslas depreciate the fastest. Here's a list of the cheapest inventory P100Ds Tesla has sold. Keep in mind these are eligible for the $7,500 tax credit.
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.32.26 AM.png