Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, jumped in to a m3 RWD (0 add on) for the December discount, thought I had a good deal for 44k before taxes. Felt good about the car itself but a lot of posts like this keep popping up:
  • used Tesla price are dropping and will likely drop more
  • markups are disappearing for other ev like Ioniq 5 and id4, possible discounts next year Etc etc. the new tax credit means many new EVs are cheaper, which puts downward pressure on used EVs, etc. When everyone is cheaper its possible for Tesla to drop new prices slightly too.
  • Rumored big refresh on Tesla 3 and Y coming? Even more downward pressure for used models.
I saw a id4 awd pro s at 52k today and it would have been like 45k after the 2022 tax credit (it’s made in USA)
Also 45k ish might get me a used model Y within a year. I would much prefer that if the price is close. I prefer more space but couldn’t afford too high of a price, so ended up with the m3.

Am I wrong to feel a little bit of regret? Not sure what to do with myself thinking about this all day.

Am I wrong to feel a little bit of regret? Not sure what to do with myself thinking about this all day.

Car purchases are not returnable without agreement from both parties, as there is no "cooling off" period with a car. So, once you make a car purchase, you should stop looking at pricing of cars, since you already made your decision.

Its pretty common to feel buyers remorse for large purchases, so thats a common emotion, but you either need to trust your original decision, or start taking steps to sell and move on (probably losing money).

The time for looking at other brands was pretty much over the minute you signed the pick up agreements (e-sign or otherwise) for the car you just bought, unless you need one for someone else in your family, so unless you enjoy beating yourself up about it, you should let it go and not look at pricing for other vehicles.

It's normal to feel that way unless you happen to hit the jackpot of getting a lot of incentives that's expiring soon, or see the price going up after you put a deposit down.

Right now buying a new car is probably on the more expensive side if you look at the market in the short-medium term (in the next 12 months). With interest rate going up, a cooling economy, and new EV incentives, there's higher odds that the prices will stagnate or drop slightly next year.

In the end buying a new car is mostly an emotional choice, no one NEEDS a brand new car, you gotta ask yourself if you're excited about paying whatever amounts for whatever car you choose. If none of the candidates are overwhelmingly appealing, and none of the prices seem like a good deal to you, maybe it's not the best time for you to be buying a new car. It's a big purchase to you, and you could obviously get from A-B for cheaper, so sign the dotted line only when you feel like the new car will bring you a smile.

And if you've already signed for the car, man, f it! Just enjoy it, floor it every time you get, enjoy the silent and emissions free ride, play some fart noises and christmas light show!

Hello, jumped in to a m3 RWD (0 add on) for the December discount, thought I had a good deal for 44k before taxes. Felt good about the car itself but a lot of posts like this keep popping up:
  • markups are disappearing for other ev like Ioniq 5 and id4, possible discounts next year Etc etc. the new tax credit means many new EVs are cheaper, which puts downward pressure on used EVs, etc. When everyone is cheaper its possible for Tesla to drop new prices slightly too.
  • Rumored big refresh on Tesla 3 and Y coming? Even more downward pressure for used models.
I saw a id4 awd pro s at 52k today and it would have been like 45k after the 2022 tax credit (it’s made in USA)
Also 45k ish might get me a used model Y within a year. I would much prefer that if the price is close. I prefer more space but couldn’t afford too high of a price, so ended up with the m3.

the m3 rwd will likely stick with CATL batteries for some time so you got the max credit $3750 for being assembled in NA but wont get the other $3750 for the battery component. You also got this up front at POS instead of getting in 2024 when you file your 2023 taxes. They may cut prices across the board but honestly, you have a great car with all the latest and greatest tech from a company that has most of its EV tech sorted vs other cars are still figuring it out (ioniq 5 and a bunch of other evs brick with 12vs dying which was an early tesla problem, id4 doesnt have preconditioning and cold gates when fast charging) plus I dont think anyone has as reliable of an app/phone key process like tesla which is such an every day convenience.

I switched my aunt from an 2023 id4 pro s to a 2023 model 3 rwd just because tesla has all of their ev stuff refined. go to idtalk and youll see tons of 2023 threads where theyre just stuck in loaner cars because vw doesnt know what happened and its a slow and painful process to figure out the issues

Reactions: XPsionic
When I learned to stop shopping after I made a purchase my whole life improved. Same goes with selling.

Drive your car. Listen to music (loudly). Be happy.
Agree one million percent. Nothing worse than worrying about something you can't change. You have a great car. Autopilot has completely changed my life. The M3 has been a miracle for me. So much less stress on the body. And when I'm manually driving, I feel like a kid flying a spaceship--still 3 years after my first drive in it. Enjoy it!

I took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 SR+ (equivalent to current RWD) on the last day of 2020. I originally wanted a Model Y SR, but Tesla never came out with one. And guess what? Exactly one week later, Tesla announced the Model Y SR. That did make me feel some "buyers remorse", but I learned to just enjoy driving my car and have no regrets.

If instead you mean you haven't taken delivery yet, then that might be a different case.

If you had bought the M3P, I'd say you can destroy buyers' remorse with the pedal on the right. The RWD's right pedal doesn't have quite as strong an effect.
It's like a permanent chill mode! :p

All joking aside, I don't feel comfortable speculating on the 2023 tax credit enough to tell you if a price in December is better / worse than a price in January. I don't think you'll be able to get a used Model Y for $45k within a year personally.

Not wrong. Buying something expensive will likely introduce some sort of buyer's remorse with all the what ifs. What I would do is review your finances and be contend that you're okay (if you're okay). Assuming that you did this prior to deciding and purchasing, then the end results should be the same and should make you feel more at peace with the decision that you've made. You can then start enjoying the car.

Like everything in tech and even cars, the model you have not be the most current model and there will always be something better/faster/cheaper now or in the near future.

Zero regrets for our 2022 M3LR.

We purchased it for what we felt worked for us. 80 to 120 miles per trip and if works flawlessly even with the snow and cold temps.

We installed new wheels and snow tires for the season and it hasn't failed us yet! I do have a home charger and our rates are $0.109 so I think we are good to go.

Reactions: IWRBR and phishphan
I took delivery of my MYLR 8 days before December and upon hearing the December discount, like many similar new owners, I had a horrible taste in my mouth. I've made my peace with it and am enjoying the hell out of this car. I made it my goal years ago to own a Tesla/EV and she represents my hard work and dedication.
Talking with my older Tesla owner friends, you'll definitely have 'upgrade-fomo' at some point as newer updates (software/hardware) come swiftly, especially for Tesla. You'll never catch up to the most current update, just enjoy the now.

Reactions: father_of_6
delivery of my MYLR 8 days before December and upon hearing the December discount, like many similar new owners, I had a horrible taste in my mouth.

That's tough. Tesla obviously wouldn't give the discount retroactively, and us buyers can't predict the future... glad you're taking it so well though.

I think they needed to do this to save from losing an entire December's worth of sales as so many people want to push their orders into 2023 for tax credits.

How's this make you feel? I bought my SR+ dealer demo with 800 miles for $32,000 out the door. With federal and CO tax deductions, that brought the total cost down to $24,000. Yes, I bought my new tesla (I am the fist owner on title, despite the mileage) cheaper than a new Civic, lol. My only regret is that the thing feels like it's falling apart now at 70k, but still no buyer's remorse for the miles and year of cheap commuting.

Reactions: vickh
How's this make you feel? I bought my SR+ dealer demo with 800 miles for $32,000 out the door. With federal and CO tax deductions, that brought the total cost down to $24,000. Yes, I bought my new tesla (I am the fist owner on title, despite the mileage) cheaper than a new Civic, lol. My only regret is that the thing feels like it's falling apart now at 70k, but still no buyer's remorse for the miles and year of cheap commuting.
Feels jealous!! thanks for the brag lol. Wish I pulled the trigger before all the price increase.
but yea its done and I should stop looking at it for the next few years like everyone is saying :)

That's a mighty good deal! With that amount of savings, you can put in a couple of thousands to add all the little padding mods to make the car feel less falling apart, lol.