TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Prieto battery, 3D Li-Ion technology?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by JoDa, May 31, 2012.

1. JoDa

JoDa New Member

This seems almost to good to be true, but I guess some of the more technical people in here can shed a more balanced light on this issue.
    Imagine what this could do to the future of EV batteries if their claims are correct. About double the energy density and an enormous leap in power density compared to todays Li-Ions. And only a fraction of the charging time!

Prieto Battery | Just another WordPress site
    Go to the "How it works" tab to see some illustrations of the technology.

And more into what they forsee for EVs:
    Electric Vehicle

Johan
    Model S, P 317

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I think a possible problem is stability of the separator, like in conventional cells. It is deposited on the anode, following an electropolymerization process. If there are flaws, or if some develop within life cycle, anode and cathode may short circuit. Advanced separators in conventional cells are designed to contain that short circuit and to limit the consequences of the sudden release of energy.

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Sounds promising. On the TMC forum we have seen a number of various designs over the years. What some of these inventors need to do is buy a Model S, retro-fit the battery with their own and test it until positve results can be reported.