Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primacy 4 replacing [mixing] Pilot Sport 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for interest I learnt a near lesson yesterday. Needed a new PZ4 20” and couldn’t fnd a TO variation anywhere. Thought I’d use a mclaren version instead. Tread looks same, all numbers match etc. Then I’m told by Pirelli agent that the mclaren version has one major difference. The shoulders in/out are different heights for adjustable race suspension and are front fitment only. His words, “ put one of those on and you will crash”. Tyres variants in the same brand and type can be very different to each other. CAUTION. Be sure etc.

Ha. So I contacted Tesla to see what they say about different tyres and:

"
Sebastian
01:25 PM
I regret to say that my S5 has tyres all from different brands

Sebastian
01:26 PM
Having a different brand or make of tyre wont effect the vehicle, maybe a little noisier, but will not affect the amazing driving experience

Brands, makes have no difference or effect on warranty, you can completely replace the tyres to run flats or any tyre you like, its just that we give you the best tyre to help with noise, since you have the new double glazed windows, shouldn't make much of a difference at all"

haha amusing.

After 30K my Pilot Sport front tyres have given up the ghost (slow puncture and wear down to canvas on tyre inner edge, 3mm on outer - should have spotted that earlier).

After calling around discovered as mentioned above Pilot Sport 4 T0 are rarer than hens teeth (Michelin have none in stock)

Ended up going with the 2 newly released e.primacy tyres for the front axle. Interesting EV focused tyre, with low rolling resistance.
You can also get with the same Y speed rating

Collecting tomorrow

Michelin Sport EV tyres don't seem to be available yet in UK plus they seem to be available for 19 inch rims and larger i.e. not for the standard 18 inch Aero wheels

Last edited:
After 30K my Pilot Sport front tyres have given up the ghost (slow puncture and wear down to canvas on tyre inner edge, 3mm on outer - should have spotted that earlier).

After calling around discovered as mentioned above Pilot Sport 4 T0 are rarer than hens teeth (Michelin have none in stock)

Ended up going with the 2 newly released e.primacy tyres for the front axle. Interesting EV focused tyre, with low rolling resistance.

Collecting tomorrow

Michelin Sport EV tyres don't seem to be available yet in UK plus they seem to be available for 19 inch rims and larger i.e. not for the standard 18 inch Aero wheels
Think I'd rather replace with a standard Michelin PS4 for my m3p- on 18"
Not sure the standard ev tyres would have as good performance or handling

Collecting tomorrow

Nice, how much and where from if you don't mind me asking.

Tesla Brum quoted me over £1k for 18inch for all 4. I laughed politely.

Nice, how much and where from if you don't mind me asking.

Tesla Brum quoted me over £1k for 18inch for all 4. I laughed politely.
Company called protyre (I'm going to the Winchester branch).
Price was £150ish per tyre. Michelin are doing a cash back promotion that gives you £20 per tyre that effectively knocks that down to £130ish.
If tyres 19inch and above cashback increases to £40 a wheel.

Collecting tomorrow

These look interesting though not in the right size for the standard 20” performance wheels yet.

Also they make a point of this being a summer tyre: “MICHELIN eco-responsible summer tyre for petrol, diesel, hybrid and electric vehicles”.

Collecting tomorrow

So Michelin decide to make a performance EV tyre and not make it in the 18" size that fits the M3 and SR+ and LR?
Cars that probably account for 50-60% of the volume of the best selling high performance EV on the market. Heck they might account for 50% of ALL "high performance" EV's on the road by volume at this point!
Seems like a bit of a self own 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Jez_GB and Gatsojon
So Michelin decide to make a performance EV tyre and not make it in the 18" size that fits the M3 and SR+ and LR?
Cars that probably account for 50-60% of the volume of the best selling high performance EV on the market. Heck they might account for 50% of ALL "high performance" EV's on the road by volume at this point!
I'm thinking that it's more of a generic ev tyre rather than a high performance one which is why these sizes aren't included

The correct tyre seems to be there?

1618558832553.png

I'm thinking that it's more of a generic ev tyre rather than a high performance one which is why these sizes aren't included
if that were true it would be even more important that it had 18" but it literally has "Sport" in the name and is being marketed as the high performance EV tyre.

Experience with confidence the full potential of your high performance electric vehicle.​

Inspired by MICHELIN Formula E racing heritage, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV tyre delivers confident handling, with a 15% increase in cornering stiffness[2] even at high speed[1]. Enjoy long-lasting wet grip[3][4], thanks to ElectricGrip Compound with a high stiffness centre profile for efficient torque transmission. Drive the full potential of your high performance electric vehicle in summer.

Given all this trouble getting hold of the actual Pilot Sport tyres - it's probably worth buying some before you actually need them, and keeping them at home so you have them when the time comes. I'm seriously considering this!

I've had a couple of flats this last week (box full of nail scattered on the road took out both my left wheels). A local garage was happy to fix my front tire, but warned that I'd driven too far on it with it really low and they aren't really supposed to fix the accoustic ones. Then I found the back tire was also punctured, but that is right on a shoulder. With no spare to work with while that gets repaired (shoulders are usually send-away fixes), and less than 3mm left on both the backs, I just bit the bullet and decided to get all 4.

Black circles seem to have the P4S T0's in stock, and my local guys are black circle people so just did that. As @m3p_uk said, best not to mess with it on the P-. And that I've gone through the rears in 12k miles shows that I mayby use the go pedal too much :(. Will possibly pay more attention to rotating the tires next time.

with regards pricing replaced my M3LR rear tyres in Sep 2020 with the 'Tesla' Michelin PS4's (T0) and price wise there is little in it compared to the e.primacy's picking up today.

I'll be interested to see to what extent the front behaves differently with the e.primacy. If comparable and there proves to be some range benefit may well eventually move to e.primacy's all round.

If the Pilot Sport EV's however where made available in 18inch I'd probably stick with the pilot sport's as they gave the car great grip and very predicatable behaviour (only vice was when rear tread is getting low car had a tendency to drift a little more in the wet on cornering than I liked, but it was a very effective warning sign for tyre replacement)