TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Primacy MXV4s not grippy enough?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by beatle, Nov 4, 2019.

1. beatle

beatle Member

I picked up my P85DL last month and have been enjoying it. It has 19" cyclones and relatively new, but not spanking new MXM4s. I notice that when I nail it from a stop (62 degrees ambient temp, warm tire PSI ~50) that the traction light will come on and limit power. I realize I could go down a few PSI in the tires to gain a bit of grip, but I don't believe it will make a world of difference. I'm guessing that these tires are just not made for this kind of load. That said, I've read a few threads claiming that "19 inch tires" are good enough to eliminate wheel spin. This seems nebulous as there are a variety of 19" tires with better advertised grip than the MXM4s.

I am considering a set of 20" wheels, either MX slipstreams or a set from TSportline. The 21" arachnids look nice, but the + suspension is already very stiff, and I don't fancy bending those pricey wheels.

edit: I have MXM4s, not MXV4s...

2. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

#2 Ostrichsak, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    I personally run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which are an Ultra High Performance All Season tire. I've got a P85D and the traction is incredible. On par with the 21" wheels and Pilot summer tires for launch traction in dry and warm weather. I notice no difference. So far in the winter they're quite good. Obviously night and day better than the same 21" wheels mentioned previously. lol

I also went with a set of 19" Arachnid replicas from Tsportline and love them. The deciding factors for me were the same things you've mentioned. For me it's the perfect blend of lightweight performance and the perfect size for running a great all season tire so I don't have to switch back and forth. On top of that the 19" wheels/tires ride MUCH smoother than the 21" wheels with super small sidewalls I had mounted previously. My P85D also has the + suspension so this was definitely a deciding factor. Slightly more forgiving to curbs with that added height on the sidewall as well. For me, I couldn't tell much difference visually between the 19" & 20" package but the 19" was much lighter and also cheaper with more tire options.

In all, I'm quite happy with my purchase and would make it exactly the same again. In fact, I probably will for our other Model S now. If you decide to order anything from Tsportline send me a private message for a referral coupon code that will save you $50.

Pictures for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. beatle

beatle Member

That's a good look, and a good account of your experience given that we have the same suspension. Not sure I'd part with my Cyclones if I stick with a 19" size as I kinda like them. Snow doesn't really affect me as I can just take my truck for those days, so one set would do the job for me

I took the car out tonight to run some errands and had to slam on the brakes to avoid a person who chose not to go through a yellow light. I didn't require a change of pants since there was plenty of room, but I was surprised to see how eager the ABS kicked in.

I think I'm trying to talk myself into new wheels when I don't really need new wheels. I probably just need/want new tires.