Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primary driver question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the Y purchase with my email and cell number but my wife is the primary driver. We both have the app and her phone is designated as the primary. Whenever she gets in the car after I was the most recent driver she has to hit her name in order for the seat and mirrors to adjust to her designated positions. Is there a way for this to be automatic rather than her having to hit her name on the screen?

To link a driver profile to a key in a Model 3/Y:

• Navigate to Controls > Locks and touch the + icon
  • You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the on-screen instructions
  • When finished pairing, touch the driver icon to link the key to the desired driver profile
  • The name of the driver profile will appear under the key to show that it is linked

• You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the on-screen instructions
  • When finished pairing, touch the driver icon to link the key to the desired driver profile
  • The name of the driver profile will appear under the key to show that it is linked
Thanks -- my wife's phone is already paired and is the primary. Does the Y have the capability of automatically going to her seat/mirror positions when she gets into the car without hitting her name on the screen?

Thanks so much. Will give this a try. Just dropping Y off for PPF now.
Since I’m in the car I found an easier way. Once you’re in your car change the driver profile to your wifes on the top right header. Next click on the car icon on the bottom left and click Locks.

In there you’ll see a list of connected keys and look for your wife’s connected phone and keycard.

All you need to do is click the “person” icon for each key and it will connect to her profile. So when she opens the car with any of those keys it will detect her driver profile settings.

Since I’m in the car I found an easier way. Once you’re in your car change the driver profile to your wifes on the top right header. Next click on the car icon on the bottom left and click Locks.

In there you’ll see a list of connected keys and look for your wife’s connected phone and keycard.

All you need to do is click the “person” icon for each key and it will connect to her profile. So when she opens the car with any of those keys it will detect her driver profile settings.
Thanks for the follow up. I get car back tomorrow from PPF and will try this.

Thanks for the follow up. I get car back tomorrow from PPF and will try this.

@Jed Clampett doing that last step will fix it for when either of you is out on your own. However, you may still find it hit-and-miss as to which phone the car uses as the active card (and associated profile is loaded) when you are going out together. I'm not sure how it decides when two are present, but sometimes it's right and sometimes it isn't. At least, that's been the experience with my partner and I.

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to have solved the issue.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@Jed Clampett doing that last step will fix it for when either of you is out on your own. However, you may still find it hit-and-miss as to which phone the car uses as the active card (and associated profile is loaded) when you are going out together. I'm not sure how it decides when two are present, but sometimes it's right and sometimes it isn't. At least, that's been the experience with my partner and I.

That's been our experience as well. Sometimes the car changes to my wife's profile just as I am getting into the driver's seat. I quickly try to reach over and change profiles as I am slowly being crushed against the steering wheel .....

Is there a way to set a priority device for the phone keys? I have the exact same issue you describe: when two phone keys are present it often adjusts to the incorrect driver profile.

Yes, I’m aware of that. That works for voice calls and text messages, but it doesn’t work for setting the appropriate driver profile with a phone key if there are two phone keys present.
I don't recall how it looked in V10 but in V11 it looks the attached image. The gold star is the priority device. Tap the device to change.

IMG_1214.jpg

Yes, I’m aware of that. That works for voice calls and text messages, but it doesn’t work for setting the appropriate driver profile with a phone key if there are two phone keys present.
@apacheguy I'm not aware of such a setting. Workaround would be to temporarily disable Bluetooth on the device you do not want to be used as the active key (with its associated profile). Not ideal, but it does work.

Reactions: apacheguy