Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Primary driver question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall how it looked in V10 but in V11 it looks the attached image. The gold star is the priority device. Tap the device to change.

View attachment 749242

I posted an image of the V11 BT control pop-up just before your post with instructions. There's no need for your workaround
Yes, as I already stated, I am aware of that setting. That is not relevant to my question as it does not apply to driver profiles and phone keys.

Yes, as I already stated, I am aware of that setting. That is not relevant to my question as it does not apply to driver profiles and phone keys.

That is exactly what it applies to ... unless you don't have devices assigned to profiles.
Is there a way to set a priority device for the phone keys? I have the exact same issue you describe: when two phone keys are present it often adjusts to the incorrect driver profile.
This was your question and the gold star indicates the priority device and that device selects the profile when multiple phones are in range. We use this all the time, it's quite reliable for us and it hasn't changed in V11. The single "failure" so far happened when I stepped on the brake before the other phone was out of range.

Is there a way to set a priority device for the phone keys? I have the exact same issue you describe: when two phone keys are present it often adjusts to the incorrect driver
That is exactly what it applies to ... unless you don't have devices assigned to profiles.

This was your question and the gold star indicates the priority device and that device selects the profile when multiple phones are in range. We use this all the time, it's quite reliable for us and it hasn't changed in V11. The single "failure" so far happened when I stepped on the brake before the other phone was out of range.
He prob doesn’t have their keys connected to separate profiles. Once they are connected to a profile, whoever opens any door first will be the selected profile!

@bodosom I already have a priority device selected in my Bluetooth settings. It works great for calls and media, but the priority device is not selected for the paired driver profile if multiple phone keys are present. As @Noixd indicates my phone keys are paired to different driver profiles. I have verified this multiple times and confirmed that the priority device setting does not resolve the issue I am experiencing.

It works great for calls and media, but the priority device is not selected for the paired driver profile if multiple phone keys are present.
Okay, but it's an issue with your configuration/set-up/hardware/software. You repeatedly made it sound as if the Priority Device feature isn't used to select a profile. That's why @Noixd thought "[they don't] have their keys connected to separate profiles"

Tesla:
"You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model Y to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door."

The complaints I've seen aren't that this never works (i.e. profiles are selected at random) but that sometimes it selects the wrong profile. We've never had that problem although to be fair we no longer have our phones "paired", we just added them as phone keys.

Okay, but it's an issue with your configuration/set-up/hardware/software. You repeatedly made it sound as if the Priority Device feature isn't used to select a profile. That's why @Noixd thought "[they don't] have their keys connected to separate profiles"

Tesla:
"You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model Y to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door."

The complaints I've seen aren't that this never works (i.e. profiles are selected at random) but that sometimes it selects the wrong profile. We've never had that problem although to be fair we no longer have our phones "paired", we just added them as phone keys.

@bodosom I don't think you understand the issue. The text you quoted from Tesla is correct: if you map a key to a profile, it will select that profile based on the key that is active. The issue is that when multiple keys are present (say you and your partner both walk up to the car with your phones that are set up as keys), it sometimes picks the passenger's phone as the active key and queues up that profile rather than the person getting into the driver's seat. Setting the preferred Bluetooth devices does not affect which of multiple present phone keys is selected when multiple are present.