Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PrimecomTech EVSE with 50’ Cable??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience using this PrimecomTech EVSE to charge their Tesla?

It comes with a 50’ cord option which would be great. I would need to use the J1772 adapter, but that would be an ok compromise for the longer cord length. Just don’t want to buy it and find out it won’t play nice with my M3.

I don't have any direct experience with The Primecomtech EVSE. It seems overpriced compared to what Tesla offers with their mobile connectors and wall connectors Don't be fooled by Primecomtech's claims of charging 6 to 7 times faster. They are comparing that to charging via a regular 5-15 outlet. The gen 2 mobile connector that comes with the car will already let you charge at 32 amps. You could get Tesla's corded wall connector or a gen 1 mobile connector and charge at up to 40 amps. If you got a Tesla gen 3 wall connector, you could charge at up to 48 amps. This might end up being cheaper than the Primecomtech EVSE and even could allow you to charge even faster, assuming your Tesla has the 48 amp charger installed.

If you need the 50 feet cord, you can easily get a 50' 14-50 extension cord or similar for less than $200 and use it with your existing mobile connector. I have a 20' combination 14-30/14-50 extension cord that I use with the 20' mobile connector when I travel and I paid less than $100, IIRC.

We could probably give you better advice if you let us know more about what your charging needs are and what car you have. Yes, the Primecomtech should work with your 3 with the J1772 adapter...but the Tesla options would probably be cheaper and some even allow you to charge faster.

So that was my original plan, to install a 14-50 plug in the side of the house and run an extension cord plus the mobile connector to charge the car. But I am a bit worried about having the connection between the extension cord and the mobile u it just in the yard. I am parking on the street in front of my house and it is about 40 feet from the house to the curb. I have a dedicated spot and there is no sidewalk so it should be fine if I can find a long enough cable.

When I found the PrimecomTech cord I wondered if that wouldn’t be a better option as it would be all one cable and not have the connector in the middle and might be a bit more weather proof. Then I could keep the mobile unit in the car for trips and emergencies. But would like to hear of anyone has had success using it or get any other ideas people have.

You could get Tesla's corded wall connector or a gen 1 mobile connector and charge at up to 40 amps. If you got a Tesla gen 3 wall connector, you could charge at up to 48 amps.
The caveat on this is which M3 one has. The SR and SR+ max at 32 amps.

But I definitely agree with @MorrisonHiker: I don't see the value in this product.

There is also a company that will take an existing Mobile Charger and lengthen it to your custom length (up to like 100' if I recall correctly). However, I am unable to locate them at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So that was my original plan, to install a 14-50 plug in the side of the house and run an extension cord plus the mobile connector to charge the car. But I am a bit worried about having the connection between the extension cord and the mobile u it just in the yard. I am parking on the street in front of my house and it is about 40 feet from the house to the curb. I have a dedicated spot and there is no sidewalk so it should be fine if I can find a long enough cable.

When I found the PrimecomTech cord I wondered if that wouldn’t be a better option as it would be all one cable and not have the connector in the middle and might be a bit more weather proof. Then I could keep the mobile unit in the car for trips and emergencies. But would like to hear of anyone has had success using it or get any other ideas people have.
I don't know if they still offer the service, but a couple companies online used to provide a service where they would extend the length of your mobile connector or wall connector cable. Here's an example of one company but it doesn't look like they currently offer that service.

Some companies now offer a "Tesla extension cord" that has male/female Tesla connectors instead of using 14-50 or something similar but they aren't cheap.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
It’s a bit pricey compared to a $300 Tesla mobile connector but if it solves your distance problem its hard to argue with. Like you, I’d be a bit concerned about having a connection in the middle of the yard.
I wouldn’t be too concerned about it not playing well with a Tesla; J1772 is pretty robust and we seldom hear of incompatibilities. Besides, If you’re gonna sell one of these the very first car you’d test it on would be a Tesla.

But I definitely agree with @MorrisonHiker: I don't see the value in this product.
I certainly do!
Yes, that is absolutely a good reason to go for this. Since your situation really does need to cover a 50 foot distance, that is going to be safer and more reliable to have a continuous fully enclosed cord than having extra extensions and plugin points along the way. That is a very good choice.

And yes, the J1772 protocol is really standardized now--you don't need to ask if certain ones will work with a certain car. Any unit will work. (Ignoring the weird case of those stupid Nissan ones from about 2011 which didn't follow the specifications correctly.)

Reactions: mrau
Some companies now offer a "Tesla extension cord" that has male/female Tesla connectors instead of using 14-50 or something similar but they aren't cheap.

Not sure if you saw this:

Trash.PNG