Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Priorities 2020

What routes/areas do you think Tesla will/should prioritize next year (2020)

• Highway 3 (BC-AB)

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Yellowhead Highway 16 (MB-SK-AB)

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Highway 7 (ON)

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Atlantic Provinces (NB-NS-PEI-NL?)

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Regional - dispersed locations (around Quebec or Southern Ontario)

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

With year 2019 almost over, I was thinking of setting up a little poll to see what routes you think Tesla will or should prioritize for next year, and do a small analysis by next year’s end. I’ve put down the routes Tesla is most likely to prioritize over the next year. Note: the “Regional - dispersed locations” choice is more of a selection of scattered locations, which will complete some routes.

Feel open to discuss your thoughts on what Tesla should prioritize for next year, and also talk about what Tesla has done for this year, and a report card for 2019 if you want to. Enjoy!

This poll closes Jan 31st, 2020.

With year 2019 almost over, I was thinking of setting up a little poll to see what routes you think Tesla will or should prioritize for next year, and do a small analysis by next year’s end. I’ve put down the routes Tesla is most likely to prioritize over the next year. Note: the “Regional - dispersed locations” choice is more of a selection of scattered locations, which will complete some routes.

Feel open to discuss your thoughts on what Tesla should prioritize for next year, and also talk about what Tesla has done for this year, and a report card for 2019 if you want to. Enjoy!

This poll closes Jan 31st, 2020.
I have a feeling that, after the major capital expenditure that is the V3 Trans-Canada rollout, that we will see much smaller-scale things for the next year or two given the pending ramp up in Model Y and Semi and Cybertruck which are likely to absorb much of Tesla's capital. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the Supercharger focus is upgrading V2 to V3 in higher density areas (or expanding existing V2 sites), as those are likely to have much more bang for the buck in keeping large numbers of Tesla customers happy versus filling out Northern Canadian highways. I do hope I'm wrong as it would be awesome to have more coverage, but that's what thinking about raw numbers tells me.

Reactions: navguy12
Quebec, the province with the largest rebate in Canada, but which has been curiously abandoned for two years.

Only 3/15 sites built in 2018.
0/12 in 2019.

This neglect has led to sites like the one in Lévis being overloaded.
So, A20 as well as,"regional routes" need to be developed.

Eastern Ontario/Western Quebec
- Brockville
- Ottawa West (key if there's potentially a sales centre opening in Ottawa)
- Gatineau
- Renfrew
- Lachute
and maybe Perth, Peterborough or an expansion in Kingston

Last edited:
Reactions: shellderp
At the event this past Summer (Investors day?) where Musk started out at the very beginning by saying they were going to finally do the Trans Canada highway, he also said they would do the Alaska highway. So I'd guess that would be the next priority in Canada, which also happens to be a very common route for Americans in the Summer. Most are pulling trailers or driving motor homes of course, but I think it is a route of interest to quite a few Tesla owners down there.

Im seeing a lot of votes for the Atlantic Provinces. Just wondering, what locations are you targeting exactly? I know Aulds Cove is in the plans, but that’s all I know of. Is there something else in planning I haven’t heard of?

Im seeing a lot of votes for the Atlantic Provinces. Just wondering, what locations are you targeting exactly? I know Aulds Cove is in the plans, but that’s all I know of. Is there something else in planning I haven’t heard of?

For the Atlantic Provinces, Superchargers for travel to and on Cape Breton, and at least something on PEI. Just 2 or 3 Superchargers would make a substantial difference there, which is part of why I think it's a priority.

Yellowhead Highway, but more particularly the connection from Edmonton, AB to Saskatoon, SK. It doesn't Google-wise take much longer to travel on to Winnipeg, MB via Regina, SK, so that would be a very significant connection.

Then the rest regional. That should, in any case, start extending the web and start some of the other highways.

I don't live anywhere near Atlantic Canada, but have driven around there previously. I'm therefore coming at this from the angle of travelling and vacationing, so grain of salt etc.
- There's currently nothing on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence in Quebec, nor NB, nor NS. The current setup is basically a corridor connecting Halifax to Riviere-du-Loup, with a side branch to St. John. While this makes sense for an initial build-out, it restricts travel along the coastal communities for the entire area. Not a huge population base, but a shame for vacation driving.
- Zilch in PEI. If one charger, then need something as you're crossing the bridge, most likely. But there's also ferry traffic on the east end of the island. I'd say maybe Charlottetown, or just east on the way to the ferries.
- Not a single Supercharger in Newfoundland and Labrador?!?
- Need something in Cape Breton. Sounds like Auld's Cove for the drive up, which is good to get you there. But what about back if it's a day trip? I'd suggest Baddeck and Sydney, but something in the Highlands would be luxurious for zooming the Cabot Trail, which everyone should experience.

As it is now 2020, I have made a small tableau in form of a mini report card to show the Supercharger progress in Canada this year.
3BE05AA9-0FC5-43E5-906F-E7D99AC4E9EF.jpeg
For columns G and I, I need those CleanTechnica tables for all the electric cars sold in Canada in the past year, if someone knows where I can find that. Hopefully we’ll be seeing some more improvements this year, with new coming soon locations on the Tesla map. To name a few locations:

BC: Vernon, Nakusp
AB: Vegreville, Lloydminster (AB side)
SK: North Battleford, Saskatoon
ON: Collingwood, Oakville, Bancroft
QC: Matane, Sainte-Anne-des-Monts (Gaspésie region)
PEI: Charlottetown
NS: Aulds Cove, New Glasgow

Here’s to hoping for 2020!!

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I agree with @ccudmore that Brockville should be a priority. They should also either increase Kingston from 6 to 20 chargers, or add another site in Kingston. The Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa corridor is very heavily travelled and needs more sites from Kingston eastward.

if you are going from Toronto to the southern part of Ottawa then you have a long way between SCs. And it isn’t convenient to go to RideauCentre in downtown Ottawa

Here's a list from Tesla's findus page. I can't remember all of what there was in Canada for 2019 so there are many for which I don't know whether it's new or not.

But at least they _say_ they're going to:
- connect Edmonton, AB and Saskatoon, SK
- add some Superchargers in eastern Nova Scotia and one in Prince Edward Island
- complete BC-3 to Fort McLeod, BC.

ProvinceLocationNewStatusComments
ABCalgaryNo..
ABLloydminsterYes..
ABVegrevilleYes..
BCBurnaby.Permit.
BCCastlegar...
BCCreston...
BCFernie...
BCGrand Forks...
BCNakusp...
BCOsoyoos.PermitKnown location in a public parking lot
BCPrinceton...
BCRichmond.Construction.
BCSicamous...
BCVancouver - North...
BCVancouver - West...
BCVernon...
BCWhite Rock...
NSAuld’s CoveYes.It’s bound to be at an Irving
NSNew GlasgowYes.It’s bound to be at an Irving.
ONBancroft...
ONBracebridge...
ONBrampton...
ONBrockvilleNo“Permit”.
ONCollingwood...
ONKincardine...
ONMississauga...
ONNepeanYes..
ONNewmarket...
ONNewmarket...
ONOakville...
ONOrangeville...
ONOrillia...
ONPerth...
ONPeterborough...
ONRenfrewNo..
ONScarborough...
ONSt. Catharines...
ONStrathroy...
ONToronto - Liberty Village...
ONToronto - The Annex...
ONToronto - Yonge / Eglinton...
ONVaughan.Permit.
ONWaterloo...
PECharlottetownYes..
QCCharlemagne...
QCGatineauNo..
QCGriffintown...
QCL’Étape...
QCLa Pocatière...
QCLachute...
QCLebourgneuf...
QCMatane...
QCSaguenayNoConstructionNamed as Chicotoumi, QC on Supercharge.info
QCSaint GeorgesNo..
QCSaint Sauveur...
QCSaint Therese...
QCSainte Anne des Monts...
QCSherbrooke...
SKNorth BattlefordYes..
SKSaskatoonYes..

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Two thoughts:

my want is North Dakota. While it’s nice that I can reach Canada it would be helpful to cross connect from WINNIPEG to the USA and Calgary south to the USA. This is allegedly in process but again don’t forget to finish a missing piece of the puzzle.

Also maybe spread around some destination chargers. I mentioned in a previous post about Assessipi ski area north of Russell MB still too much of a round trip from Brandon.

Reactions: XHabjab
I think that while Tesla’s at completing the Edmonton to Saskatoon route, I think they should also take on the other half from Sktoon to Winnipeg. Best locations (cites) would be,
From Portage, MB
Minnedosa, MB
Russell, MB
Yorkton, SK
Dafoe, SK
To Saskatoon, SK