Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Priority Given to MS&X Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best strategy for current owners to get a model 3 early? Is there a significant advantage to reserving at the store instead of only online? I thought I saw a comment from someone at Tesla who said the current owners don't need to stand in line at the store?

Current owner in line > current owner online > new owner in line > new owner online

This aligns with what I was told although I was also told that it is not really worth the hassle for the current owners to be in line. My contact mentioned that the advantage of being a day early for the current owners is not going to matter that much ultimately.

This aligns with what I was told although I was also told that it is not really worth the hassle for the current owners to be in line. My contact mentioned that the advantage of being a day early for the current owners is not going to matter that much ultimately.
I was told the same thing. I asked if I should show up on the 31rst, the rep said to just in my robe from home the next day. I'll still get an advantage over everyone in line.

@ChadS - I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

If you want to jump the line...
1. Lease an S
2. Reserve Model 3
3. Cancel your S in the first month via Happiness Guarantee

(a) Model 3 reservation would be done before the happiness guarantee is invoked.
(b) The "cooldown" for the happiness guarantee is less than the time between March 31st 2016, and the 2017+ config and 2018+ delivery.

I wonder how much that little gambit (1+3) would cost out of pocket....

Like other people have mentioned, you'll be out of your downpayment of $5K, cost of registration, cost of first month's lease payment, and cost of auto insurance for the time you have the Model S. A lot of headaches to deal with and not worth it.

Hey guys I was thinking if they are giving priority ordering for MS&X, we could reserve it for a friend so they get the $7500 tax credit before it runs out?

Also, don't you guys think current MS&X owners will be selling reservations to make money off their system? Seems like a win-win, MS&X owners profit, M3 owners get their M3s early and get the $7500 tax credit.
Also roadster owners get priority - we keep on getting forgotten:)

Not many of us compared to S & X owners but the e-mail confirmed it...
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 4.04.59 PM.png

Not many of us compared to S & X owners but the e-mail confirmed it...
View attachment 169695
Well, my confirmation mail in french stated it differently :

La production de la Model 3 débutera fin 2017. Les premières livraisons auront lieu en Amérique du Nord, suivies par l'Europe, l'Asie, la région du Pacifique, puis les pays avec une conduite à droite. Les commandes de propriétaires de Model S et de Model X seront traités de façon prioritaires sur la chaine de production.

Current owner in line > current owner online > new owner in line > new owner online

Any idea if it matters when you get in line? I'm curious if I need to put down my deposit tonight, or if I can wait a week. I was also hopeful that we Roadster owners would get to the front of the line, but it sounds like that won't really matter, either.

A month from now, I will have given Tesla $350,000 for 3 cars. I have also sold many more Teslas by showing them to my friends, taking people on test rides, and talking up the car constantly. Without owners like me, the Model 3 would not exist. Most car companies have T.V. commercials that give special pricing to current owners of the brand. Rewarding the customers that allowed the company to exist and prosper is fairly standard practice. And like someone else said, there are many other reasons to sell a new model, which will have problems for the first several months it comes off the line (like any brand), to loyal customers that are more likely to take it in stride.

Reactions: 1208 and bhzmark
I jumped the line when I bought the Model S when I still owned my Roadster.
I'm sure that existing owners of (Roadsters, Ss and Xs) can jump the line too if they want a Model 3.
I'm just assuming they don't bother to specify Roadster owners in their company statements as there weren't that many built.
I doubt that those of us who truly want an 3 right away will have much impact.

"I'm not sure why preference is being given to people who already own a Tesla."

It has always been this way since day one. Not sure why anyone would flip out about it. Keep in mind these owners get priority - because without them development of vehicles that came after Roadster might have never taken place. Model 3 wouldn't be close to reality without current owners putting up their money and having faith. That helped finance further production of newer cars. There are owners that have all Tesla models ever produced. They waited in some cases many years for their car after putting up large sums of money. These owners have earned right to be first in line.

Yes it makes it hard on those of us who couldn't afford a Roadster, S or X. Yes it makes our wait longer - especially if we can't afford to high spec our car. But Tesla has always given priority of reservation to current owners.

I thought Tesla employees were getting same perk this time around. If so - that would put many of us even further down queue.

Reactions: inottawa
Any idea if it matters when you get in line? I'm curious if I need to put down my deposit tonight, or if I can wait a week. I was also hopeful that we Roadster owners would get to the front of the line, but it sounds like that won't really matter, either.
I asked the Tesla rep at one of the showrooms last week. She didn't know. She guessed (we all know what that means, pure 100% speculation based on nothing) that they'll keep it open for a week or more to give priority to current owners. Take it with less than a grain of salt.

I can understand giving priority to previous owners; customer loyalty rewards are not uncommon.

But this will cost a lot of new Tesla owners the tax credit. I'm sure I speak for thousands of others when I say that if I can't get the tax credit, I'll be cancelling my deposit. $7,500 is a much bigger chunk of income for the average Model 3 owner than it is for S, X, and Roadster owners.

I can understand giving priority to previous owners; customer loyalty rewards are not uncommon.

But this will cost a lot of new Tesla owners the tax credit. I'm sure I speak for thousands of others when I say that if I can't get the tax credit, I'll be cancelling my deposit. $7,500 is a much bigger chunk of income for the average Model 3 owner than it is for S, X, and Roadster owners.

If it makes you feel any better, I did not get my tax credit at all for the Roadster and not 100% for the Model S. I know problems of those with money whose income is from passive investments...

At the moment I really like the Model 3 but see no reason to switch from the Model S. I like that it isn't as wide but I like my slightly bigger battery more.

So I am a current owner and I have reserved one last night online but there was no "check-box" for stating that I am a current owner. Does anyone know if Tesla will match up my email address with the "My Tesla" login?