Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prius does NOT turn off when parked and locked for 4 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
And didn't realize this until the nice ladies at the front desk of the building I'm visiting let me know.:redface:

Press the "Park" button, get out of the rental Prius and press the lock button on the key fob = CAR STILL RUNNING AND ON!!! :scared:

Left it like that 4 hours. I am told by a Prius owner, that I'm working with, that you have to press the "Start" button to turn it off. #WTFbacon!

I really miss my Belle!

And didn't realize this until the nice ladies at the front desk of the building I'm visiting let me know.:redface:

Press the "Park" button, get out of the rental Prius and press the lock button on the key fob = CAR STILL RUNNING AND ON!!! :scared:

Left it like that 4 hours. I am told by a Prius owner, that I'm working with, that you have to press the "Start" button to turn it off. #WTFbacon!

I really miss my Belle!
So what kind of mileage did you get for the last 5 hours? ;)

My Ford Focus Electric is similar. I don't have a park button but a regular looking automatic floor stick. The process is put in park, set parking break, hit stop/start, exit vehicle.

But it will make loud and distinctive sounds if you exit while it is "on". I do like the way the Model S works in this regard. (FYI - the FFE does run Microsoft Sync aka Microsoft's Car OS.)
djw

Last edited:

I really miss my Belle!

That's how the Prius has worked since 2003. Also you don't ever have to press the Park button because turning the car off does it for you.

Last edited:
Was it noisy where you parked? The Prius gets upset and makes noises if you get out when it's not off and the key's not in it.

Not terribly, but was told by the other Prius owner that it should beep a bit when left on. As I've been stuck in this building all day I will try when I finally get to breathe some fresh...err...I mean outside SoCal air.

I really miss my Belle!

I had something similar happen to me recently with my Prius V. However, the car definitelyy wasn't running when I got out since it will run in EV mode for some time.
Obviously once the battery ran down the motor had to come on. Had jury duty @8am and luckily got out around 1:30pm. Much to my surprise the car was running.
Good thing I had a fairly full tank.

I had something similar happen to me recently with my Prius V. However, the car definitelyy wasn't running when I got out since it will run in EV mode for some time.
Obviously once the battery ran down the motor had to come on. Had jury duty @8am and luckily got out around 1:30pm. Much to my surprise the car was running.
Good thing I had a fairly full tank.

Well, even still on for 4 hours, you probably burned a teaspoon of gas. At rest very little energy is used.
As Jerry pointed out, you can shut down with a single button push just like the Tesla, it just has to be the Start/Power button, not the Park button.

My Prius used a lot more than a teaspoon. Several gallons. Maybe someone took it for a ride:smile: