TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Prius vs Model 3 Suspension

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Chris Clark, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Chris Clark

Chris Clark Member

I currently drive a latest gen 2016 Prius and overall I am happy with it but I am planning on buying a Model 3 this fall. I'm very excited for AutoPilot!

I have read the threads about people's opinion of the new coil suspension but those discussions have been centered on comparing the old M3 suspension to the new coil springs. I don't have access to a Model 3 to test drive so I am not able to feel the suspension myself.

I am curious how the Model 3 suspension would compared to my current 2016 Prius. I live in San Antonio Texas so I think there are less potholes than up north due to the warmer climate. So I think that will help things.

Can anyone speak to how the suspension of a Prius would feel compared to the new Model 3 suspension?

2. Jscogin

Jscogin Member

When I take delivery of my 3 on Monday I can maybe assist in this. I currently drive a Prius C with over 100k miles on it

3. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

I had a 2016 Prius Touring as daily driver for two years... no problem with the switch to Model 3 over two months ago. I had 2007 Prius Touring as daily driver before that. All that up here in the northeast with seasonal potholes.

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

At least with a Model 3 you don't get blown around like a feather in the wind like in my old 2007 Prius.

• Funny x 1
  5. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx

I found the 2016 Prius to be huge improvement on 2007 Prius even for that.... But Model 3 is definitely another level of solid with all the extra weight down low.

• Like x 1
  6. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

We have a 2015 Prius. I'm not really a good judge of the suspension. The Model 3 is definitely firmer, but not at all uncomfortable to me. You will love the 3. Going back to the Prius after driving the 3 makes the Prius feel like I'm driving an out of control boat.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

So you are trying to compare a truffle pate to a hot dog.

• Funny x 2