Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Model 3 Viewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feels spacious roof to floor, side to side, or both? All the anecdotal reports, previously, that I've read is that Model 3 is more spacious roof to floor than Model S.

Well, all I can share is my own personal experience from riding in a Model 3 at the reveal last year and comparing it to my Model S. The Model 3 felt like a significantly smaller car inside compared to the Model S, both roof to floor and side to side. It was comfortable in terms of space in the rear, but not nearly as comfortable as a Model S. But that's just what I remember. If others who've rode in a Model 3 say that there's more roof to floor space, then perhaps there is.

And thanks to those who attended the event and are honoring Tesla's request not to reveal things that they have requested be kept private. Trust and integrity matters in this world, as recent events have demonstrated.
Trevor Page of Model 3 Owners Club attended this event yesterday. I asked him this very question, did he learn of anything significant at the event that he could not divulge because of NDA, promise, or loyalty. He said nothing was learned that hasn't already been reported publicly, He said that Tesla remained very tight lipped about the Model 3. Nothing new to report other than his impressions and opinions of the Alpha Model 3 viewed from a distance. BUMMER!

Well, all I can share is my own personal experience from riding in a Model 3 at the reveal last year and comparing it to my Model S. The Model 3 felt like a significantly smaller car inside compared to the Model S, both roof to floor and side to side. It was comfortable in terms of space in the rear, but not nearly as comfortable as a Model S. But that's just what I remember. If others who've rode in a Model 3 say that there's more roof to floor space, then perhaps there is.

The Model S headroom is not great... which is to be expected of a low riding sport sedan. But it felt more cramped in the drivers seat than my Honda Civic. I've parked my Civic next to a Model S and it does have a taller roofline.

They did have a brief discussion about the Model 3 and there were a couple of interesting tidbits that I hadn't heard before. I think there will still be a surprise or two concerning the interior and how information is conveyed to the driver. I don't know if the presentation was running long but they did kind of interrupt the Model 3 presenter to tell us about the solar roof and Powerwall and then have a quick presentation about the materials and parts used during construction.

• Informative
Reactions: melindav
Are you sure the 3 production line isn't done?

Yes, the model 3 line is not done yet. It's progressing (I did a tour two months ago), and the progress is phenomenal, but far from done. I suspect the first "production" Model 3s to "roll off the line" will be hand-built, pretty much like they did with Model X. That would buy them plenty of time to complete the build-out and testing of the M3 line.

Bummed that no one there asked about how many NEW superchargers will be built in the U.S. by the end of 2017. .

This wasn't a press conference or general Tesla Q+A.. it was a Q+A with the Chief Designer, Franz Von Holzhausen. I don't think questions about supercharger build-out would have been at all relevant to the venue.

Last edited:
And thanks to those who attended the event and are honoring Tesla's request not to reveal things that they have requested be kept private. Trust and integrity matters in this world, as recent events have demonstrated.

In just a few more weeks Tesla will reveal Model 3 details. Adults can exercise the necessary discipline needed to wait. Children are not necessarily expected to have the same level of self control because...they're kids.

I asked people who attended if there was anything new that they just couldn't talk about and the response was "really/honestly no, there really wasn't anything new shown / said."

Also, with any Tesla staff, all questions even minor probably not important details were met with immediate poker face and stock answers like "check the web site". I get the impression that they have really made it clear that no internal info of any kind be shared at this point, and possibly really severe consequences if someone lets anything slip. In some previous years sometimes you could get a wink or a nod at a question that gave you a clue about things, but those days seem over.

Sounds like very little new information was provided ... Time to sign up for the TMC Connect event this month!
I learn far more about Tesla and related topics at TMC Connect than any other official event hosted by Tesla :cool:

TMC Connect

upload_2017-6-3_19-15-30.png

First I want to thank Tesla for having the event .. It really was a once in a lifetime opportunity to connect with such enthusiasts and get an inside peak at the factory and future. Seeing the Model 3 alpha vs nothing at all was still worth it. The car is not a Bolt competitor - it will be really obvious when folks start to see them in customers hands. I think it will create a new car segment. I really think Tesla wants to control the official info flow in a very tight manner. What the general public thinks is readily available info is really not - they have tons of proprietary stuff everywhere but it is not obvious to folks that don't build cars and software for a living. The food was awesome .. and it was amazing to hear first hand from one of the greatest car designers in today's industry. He answered my 8 year old's question for which we will always be greatful. Some folks perhaps were expecting him to give some earth shattering Model 3 gossip but we still learned a lot about how he thinks first hand. Quoting Chuck Rhodes from Billions "Worth it!". Tesla invested most of their effort in good food, good transportation and Franz. The factory tour while interesting was not as exciting as I had hoped. But either way overall day was amazing!

cryptic and intriguing. i guess they had to sign NDAs.

Model 3 Owners Club‏ @Model3Owners 1m1 minute ago
I'll say this: if you're thinking of cancelling your reservation because you don't agree with a detail you're going to regret it #model3

Coming from the guy who made at least one YouTube video guaranteeing the 3 would have a HUD. And then when musk said no HUD he made a new video saying a HUD was never a sure thing and that people should calm down. What a joke.

Nothing new was presented, the silver Alpha was on display but roped off and positioned between a wall and a Model S (so we couldn't get close to the sides or the back), the employees that were there to answer questions about the Model 3 couldn't provide any new information and got a bit uncomfortable when pressed, and the silence on the Model 3 continued during the Franz Q&A. Half of the Q&A session consisted of Franz giving a little presentation and answering pre-submitted questions chosen by Tesla--all softballs or subjects limited to the S & X, aside from one question which was misinterpreted to be about the Model S. The second half of the session was open mic Q&A but Franz refused to answer any Model 3 related questions, even dodging general questions about the experience of designing the Model 3.

Having been on the tour multiple times in the past, it has been really neat to see the factory change... Peeking through the construction plastic, the construction of the Model 3 line is clearly well under way along with the installation of their new press. Lots of changes have been made from a space utilization and organizational standpoint.

The event was fun and getting to meet other owners/YouTubers made for some interesting conversation. It was also nice to have the opportunity to chat for a while with one of the employees who handles customer feedback for the company... he seemed to appreciate my input regarding my ownership experience as well as asking me about my experiences with other EVs.

Sounds like a freaking joke.

Meeting folks is nice but can easily be done at a non Tesla sanctioned meet up.

Yes, the model 3 line is not done yet. It's progressing (I did a tour two months ago), and the progress is phenomenal, but far from done. I suspect the first "production" Model 3s to "roll off the line" will be hand-built, pretty much like they did with Model X. That would buy them plenty of time to complete the build-out and testing of the M3 line.

The time between first production builds (December) and line fully operation (March) was 3 to 4 months for the Model X. Do you see a similar timeline for the 3? Am I right in thinking that you are going against the general mood on the forum wrt Model 3 ramp up?

P.S. I saw part of the Model 3 production line being installed. It's a beehive of activity down there and it's MASSIVE. Elon wasn't kidding when he said Alien dreadnought. It looked super complex.

Thank you for your detailed overview.

One question: have you seen production lines at other car manufacturers' factories?

How does the Model 3 production line compare to competition?

Reactions: AustinPowers
The time between first production builds (December) and line fully operation (March) was 3 to 4 months for the Model X. Do you see a similar timeline for the 3? Am I right in thinking that you are going against the general mood on the forum wrt Model 3 ramp up?

Model X was an exception. It required a lot of adjustments, some part suppliers were slacking, the company reorged senior management etc.

Because of the experience gained with Model X ramp-up "hell," I expect Model 3 ramp-up to progress relatively smoothly and slightly quicker than the timeline you presented.

In short, I expect 25,000 Model 3 deliveries in 3Q17 and 50,000 deliveries in 4Q17.

They did have a brief discussion about the Model 3 and there were a couple of interesting tidbits that I hadn't heard before. I think there will still be a surprise or two concerning the interior and how information is conveyed to the driver. I don't know if the presentation was running long but they did kind of interrupt the Model 3 presenter to tell us about the solar roof and Powerwall and then have a quick presentation about the materials and parts used during construction.

Hmm, so what does that mean? We already know about the 15" screen, so what other tidbits of info are there about 'how information is conveyed to the driver'? We seem to have eliminated a HUD from the conjecture as well as a traditional instrument panel, so what does that mean? Audio conveyance of info?

Hmm, so what does that mean? We already know about the 15" screen, so what other tidbits of info are there about 'how information is conveyed to the driver'? We seem to have eliminated a HUD from the conjecture as well as a traditional instrument panel, so what does that mean? Audio conveyance of info?

So just to throw in some completely unsubstantiated speculation:
Ever since I saw this photo Tesla Model 3 Spy Photos photo | Motor1.com Canada I wondered if they'd incorporate a non-intrusive colour based "speed gauge" into the dash. In the photo, I recognize it is just a reflection through the window, but there appears to be a red light along the dash. Since we know Teslas can read speed limit signs and follow them, why can't the car give you a coloured indicator of whether you're following the speed limit or not? Because in the end, if you're a law-abiding citizen following the speed limit, you don't really care what the speed limit is, but that you are at/near it (and the centre screen can give you the exact speed if you want to know). A non-intrusive dash accent could achieve that: ie. yellow if you're too slow, green if you're within 10km/h of the posted limit, red if you're too fast. Not saying I support the idea... just something that popped into my head after seeing both the above photo, and a demo from some other autonomous car tech where the steering wheel had lights that indicated various things (can't remember the video, but the steering wheel would turn green when in 'autonomous mode' and then red if you needed to intervene, or something like that).