Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Number Plate option on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jayc

Mar 28, 2016
UK
I can see there is an option appearing on My Tesla order page to pick whether or not we intend to use a private number plate and it defaults to No i.e. not a private plate.

Anyone know why they are asking? It would seem like a good question to ask at the point of registering the car rather than now.

I can see there is an option appearing on My Tesla order page to pick whether or not we intend to use a private number plate and it defaults to No i.e. not a private plate.

Anyone know why they are asking? It would seem like a good question to ask at the point of registering the car rather than now.
I don't have that on mine.

This is speculation: They are asking whether you want one the special plates that some states offer. If you do then you'll just get a temporary plate, if you don't then the car will have it's license plate when you pick it up.

This would only be applicable is some states. It's 100% sure it won't be seen in Texas.

No clue about what would happen in the U.K.

Hmm, in NC the dealer simply fills out a form to transfer plates, so I'm assuming there is a similar option to register custom ones (at least for NC)

Thanks for reminding me to check this out. I've already ordered my custom plates (T3SLA//3) that will live on my Prius until the 3 arrives. I didn't think I'd have to request something ahead of time so that the dealer doesn't issue me temps (with the plate transfer you move the tags immediately).

In the UK, plates go with your car, not with you.

An example of this was shown on the show "Top Gear" when the hosts had to explain that one of the cars they bought to use in a special in Argentina had it's plates since it's manufacture. The plates were thought to be a reference to the Falkland Islands War and some local Argentinians basically rioted and tried to destroy the cars when Top Gear came through an area. From that, I took that plates generally stick with the car through the life of the car, regardless of owner.

For our UK friends: Here in the US, we go down to a local office to register our cars and get our plates then. When buying from a dealership, you generally get temporary plates to drive home (they can be good for up to 30 days, depending on the state) so that you can then do whatever you need to do at the local DMV or town hall to get your 'permanent' plates.