TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Private Plate - delays delivery?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by dst87, Jul 12, 2019.

1. dst87

dst87 Member

How well do Tesla handle registering a new car against a private number plate?

I’m new to that whole system, but I understand dealers do this regularly when given a V750 (Certificate of Entitlement).

Does this make delivery harder / longer / problematic?

2. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

Tesla have always done it with the S&X, but for the 3 they won’t. I asked.

You’ll need to take delivery on the random year plate, then transfer your private plate over once you’ve got your V5C.

I’m told if you ask nicely the SC will make up a set of the special aluminium plates for your private reg free of charge for when you take delivery.

3. dst87

dst87 Member

Thanks for that. It certainly removes any question about what we should do!

I guess it’s an extra administrative task that they can do without during ‘delivery hell’.

4. bobss

bobss Member

I asked same question and so I will ask very nicely

5. Daverh

Daverh Member

So does that mean extra fees for changing the reg (initial reg fee then another fee for changing) and potential admin fee to the insurance company?

6. Roy W.

Roy W. Member

Maybe yes, depends how you look at it. The £80 retention fee you pay when you take the plate off the old car covers the transfer to your new car. As for insurance admin fees, they all seem to have different policies (no pun intended!). I’ve paid as much as £29.50 in the past, but LV, my current insurer, don’t charge for a change of registration. I suppose it’s all part of the joys of having a private plate!