Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Plate Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS LR is due to be with me in mid September, I have purchased a private plate that I will have in the form of a retention certificate, would I be able to arrange to have that plate on the car when I pick it up from Tesla or is that a no go?
Anyone had a similar situation?

I'm in the same situation,

Have a private plate on retention
Picking up the Tesla next week

My plan is to pick up the new car with the numberplate provided (20 plate)
Once i receive the V5C from Tesla (not sure when that it, either on delivery or acouple of days after), I will apply with DVLA to transfer the retention number plate to the car. From my understanding it can take between 2 weeks to 4 weeks depending on how busy DVLA are.
Obviously let your insurers know, shouldnt affect insurance but depends on your insurer and some may even charge an admin fee.

I think thats all correct, unless someone corrects me?

• Informative
Reactions: Jerryjal
Prior to delivering thousands of Model 3s Tesla used to be able to register in your private plate, but I believe that has changed to “streamline” the process. It might be worth asking though, as you Model S folk are in the top tier of Tesla’s customers, not like us Model 3 oiks. :D

The V5C normally arrives about a week after you collect the car.

It’s also worth asking for a set of Tesla plates in your private reg, as they are a strange metal plate. They will do them while you wait, and if you ask nicely should be free of charge.

Once i receive the V5C from Tesla (not sure when that it, either on delivery or acouple of days after), I will apply with DVLA to transfer the retention number plate to the car. From my understanding it can take between 2 weeks to 4 weeks depending on how busy DVLA are.
Obviously let your insurers know, shouldnt affect insurance but depends on your insurer and some may even charge an admin fee.

The transfer of numbers is all done online now, and is instant. Once you’ve done that but, you need to fit the new plates and let your insurance know.

More info in this thread. Search is your friend.

Private number plates

Prior to delivering thousands of Model 3s Tesla used to be able to register in your private plate, but I believe that has changed to “streamline” the process. It might be worth asking though, as you Model S folk are in the top tier of Tesla’s customers, not like us Model 3 oiks. :D

The V5C normally arrives about a week after you collect the car.

It’s also worth asking for a set of Tesla plates in your private reg, as they are a strange metal plate. They will do them while you wait, and if you ask nicely should be free of charge.
I am due to pick my car up from Southampton, not sure if they have the capabilities to make up plates there, I don't believe that it is a service centre as such.

I am due to pick my car up from Southampton, not sure if they have the capabilities to make up plates there, I don't believe that it is a service centre as such.
Maybe not. Do the prep the cars there, or are they done at the nearest service centre?

In that case it might be worth asking for your plates in advance of delivery.

From what I hear in the trade the DVLA have a massive backlog of paperwork due to COVID . Do everything online. If you send them anything by post you will litterally wait months.
Private plate transfer can be done online and new car Reg and v5 issue are all electronic so are not affected.

Well I asked Edinburgh in advance and they happily made me up an extra pair of plates with the reg I was getting put on and just had them in the boot when I went to pick the car up. If I recall it was within a couple of days or so of collection so hopefully Southampton should be similar. Once I got home I just told my lease company and they sorted the rest online and I switched the plates over that same day once they confirmed the process was complete.

Reactions: Jerryjal and Roy W.
All I've seen of the Southampton "delivery hub" is a mobile office parked in the corner of a fenced off section of car park perhaps 100 metres square. Dunno how they are going to "prep" any vehicles unless they are transported somewhere else then brought back.
Very much doubt they have the means to deal with non-Tesla number plates.

All I've seen of the Southampton "delivery hub" is a mobile office parked in the corner of a fenced off section of car park perhaps 100 metres square. Dunno how they are going to "prep" any vehicles unless they are transported somewhere else then brought back.
Very much doubt they have the means to deal with non-Tesla number plates.
May try and change the pick-up location to Heathrow instead, any excuse for a longer drive home. ;)

Heathrow have the worse record for collection issues especially if nearing quarter end. You may want to try Edinburgh!

Mixed results on getting private plates made up. Usual Tesla thing, ask 5 different people, get 5 different answers. Some private plates have been given free, some, £20 pair, some £40 pair, some £40 each, some unavailable. I had 3 of those told to me. We eventually got plates for free, but only because Heathrow completely cocked up our delivery - we had 6 hours waiting on site to come up with a compensation deal!

Unfortunately, if maintaining standard Tesla plate mounting, you need non standard thin plates. Don't rely on plate making to be available at any site if busy, or if weekend.

Heathrow have the worse record for collection issues especially if nearing quarter end. You may want to try Edinburgh!

Mixed results on getting private plates made up. Usual Tesla thing, ask 5 different people, get 5 different answers. Some private plates have been given free, some, £20 pair, some £40 pair, some £40 each, some unavailable. I had 3 of those told to me. We eventually got plates for free, but only because Heathrow completely cocked up our delivery - we had 6 hours waiting on site to come up with a compensation deal!

Unfortunately, if maintaining standard Tesla plate mounting, you need non standard thin plates. Don't rely on plate making to be available at any site if busy, or if weekend.
That is fair enough, I don't mind paying for them. Do you know of any other websites that Tesla specific plates can be purchased from?

Reactions: Sphinxhunter

Spot on

Reactions: Sphinxhunter
It's a streamlined online process once you have the V5C.

You literally receive the plate transfer document within minutes by email (I think you might be able to download it in real time from the DVLA website but I can't remember.) Anyway, you then only have 72 hours to have the plates made up and put on the car before the document expires.

Tesla may make up some plates for you and put them in the frunk if you ask nicely but you have to do the transfer after you receive the V5C for the car.