Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Plate - Tesla Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys - I'm looking to add my private plate (currently on retention) to my Model Y which is leased through Tesla finance.

I emailed Tesla a few days ago to raise this request but not heard anything back, does anyone know of a formal process to do this, or even better a number I can ring? Finding contact details for Tesla finance is a nightmare!

Thanks!

Hey, are you in the UK?, as i also had a private plate on retention however when I spoke to Tesla they said I need to accept the delivery with the current assigned registration and then complete the private plate transfer after I received the V5 registration document, the day I received that I was able to complete the transfer online on DvLA website and was quick and East. One completed I informed my insurance company of the change of registration.

Only difference was mine was a cash purchase with no finance or lease. Hope that helps you with your query? .

Last edited:
Hey guys - I'm looking to add my private plate (currently on retention) to my Model Y which is leased through Tesla finance.

I emailed Tesla a few days ago to raise this request but not heard anything back, does anyone know of a formal process to do this, or even better a number I can ring? Finding contact details for Tesla finance is a nightmare!

Thanks!
Do you hold the V5 for the vehicle. If so, it should be straightforward. The instructions are on DVLA website.

Hey, are you in the UK?, as i also had a private plate on retention however when I spoke to Tesla they said I need to accept the delivery with the current assigned registration and then complete the private plate transfer after I received the V5 registration document, the day I received that I was able to complete the transfer online on DvLA website and was quick and East. One completed I informed my insurance company of the change of registration.

Only difference was mine was a cash purchase with no finance or lease. Hope that helps you with your query? .
Ah unfortunately not, as I am on Tesla Lease Finance I am not the V5 holder, if I was it's very straight forward :)

Do you hold the V5 for the vehicle. If so, it should be straightforward. The instructions are on DVLA website.
Unfortunately not, Tesla Lease are the V5 holders so I need to get hold of them to get permission plus a scan of the V5 so I can take the next steps with DVLA. Getting hold of them is the hard part...