Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private plates on Tesla Finance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I've been trying (since June) to get my private plates added to the car which is under Tesla Finance. Unfortunately, After an age not being able to get in contact, I was finally able (June) to make contact... They told me due to CV19 it'd be July before they were processing these requests. Fair enough, I thought. Called back in July, was told August. Guess what. Called back in August, was told September.

I'm due to call today, with little hope to be fair.

Anyone got any experience getting Tesla Finance to run the paperwork? Annoyingly, it's a 5-minute job... But because they won't share the V5C Doc number with me I can't do it "on their behalf".

Hi guys,

I've been trying (since June) to get my private plates added to the car which is under Tesla Finance. Unfortunately, After an age not being able to get in contact, I was finally able (June) to make contact... They told me due to CV19 it'd be July before they were processing these requests. Fair enough, I thought. Called back in July, was told August. Guess what. Called back in August, was told September.

I'm due to call today, with little hope to be fair.

Anyone got any experience getting Tesla Finance to run the paperwork? Annoyingly, it's a 5-minute job... But because they won't share the V5C Doc number with me I can't do it "on their behalf".
There are numerous posts about private plates. The best anyone has done is the collection centre will make some plates up for you but nobody has got Tesla to put the plates on the car for delivery/collection. I did it myself. Wait for the V5 to come back then put your plates on the car.

By Tesla finance do you mean PCP, Contract Hire, Tesla Loan, Hire purchase?
I have a Hire Purchase, and I did nothing. I just swapped the plates over with the DVLA which took 2 minutes, phoned the insurance to tell them.
I thought I should probably contact the finance company (black horse) but before I did they sent me a letter acknowledging the change which they must have automatically picked up on.
I guess if you don't have the V5 it's not so easy .....

• Love
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
There are numerous posts about private plates. The best anyone has done is the collection centre will make some plates up for you but nobody has got Tesla to put the plates on the car for delivery/collection. I did it myself. Wait for the V5 to come back then put your plates on the car.
He won't get the V5 because it's on finance. The finance company keeps the V5, and usually charges for things like plate transfers, etc. Not sure how it works with Tesla Finance, but I presume it adds another layer of complexity to it.

As Tom Jones would say, "it's not unusual".
I just started my lease through OctopusEV and I wasn't sent the V5 either.

I'm also going through the process of swapping to my personal plate and have to jump through their hoops but so far, I've only just applied so I can't comment on how difficult/easy the process will be.

Apologies all for confusion - to clarify it is a Personal Contract Lease, and so the V5C (registered keeper) is held by Tesla Finance Services. I, the driver, am the 'end user'.

HOWEVER! Breakthrough just now, as they have clearly had enough of my persistence and scanned the V5C for me, with some T&Cs as per the end user agreement (see below). So, plates are going on as we speak!

We do permit the addition of a cherished plate to the vehicle, however there are some stipulations we require from you.
  • You are responsible for the registration transfer with the DVLA
  • You must inform us once the transfer is confirmed
  • You must return the plate, which the vehicle was delivered with, prior to the end of the lease term

Reactions: Cyclone1 and Durzel
Apologies all for confusion - to clarify it is a Personal Contract Lease, and so the V5C (registered keeper) is held by Tesla Finance Services. I, the driver, am the 'end user'.

HOWEVER! Breakthrough just now, as they have clearly had enough of my persistence and scanned the V5C for me, with some T&Cs as per the end user agreement (see below). So, plates are going on as we speak!

We do permit the addition of a cherished plate to the vehicle, however there are some stipulations we require from you.
  • You must return the plate, which the vehicle was delivered with, prior to the end of the lease term

Hi Jar, I'm going to be doing the same thing shortly. How did you get hold of Tesla Finance in the end?

Sorry for picking up on an old posting but can you advise what you have to do with the DVLA once you have this ‘scanned’ document/ number. I have my required private number on a retention certificate. Thanks

Sorry for picking up on an old post but can you please advise what you have to do with the DVLA once you have this ‘scanned’ V5c/ number. I already have my private plate on a Retention certificate. Many thanks

Go here and hit the big green button - should only take a few minutes, note that once done you will be advised to put the new plates on the vehicle immediately so best to have them handy ;) and don't forget to inform insurance, financier, etc.