Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Reg Plate - Returning car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys - I've recently taken my private plate OFF the Lease vehicle (Lease Returns UK @ Tesla) in preperation for the car to be returned.

However, as the registration was put onto a car owned (legally) by Tesla, the retention document is now being sent to Tesla, as the registered keeper.

Has anyone any experience of getting a private plate allocated to a new vehicle in situations such as this. The plate means a lot to me (it was my late Father's) and so has sentimental value. I've emailed them but, so far, radio silence!

Please help!

Reactions: mbp11
Any help…

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Did you ever get this sorted? I’m in the exact same situation and am getting nowhere with Tesla about it. I’m not a nominee on the retention certificate anymore so they have the retention document with only their details on it

I’m in this situation at the moment with ZenAuto. As I understand it the retention document is sent to them after removal and they’re then sending this to us. This will then be put onto our new M3 (owned by us) and the retention will again revert to us.
Having said that Zen seem to be a bit slow at getting this back to us.

I’m in this situation at the moment with ZenAuto. As I understand it the retention document is sent to them after removal and they’re then sending this to us. This will then be put onto our new M3 (owned by us) and the retention will again revert to us.
Having said that Zen seem to be a bit slow at getting this back to us.
It’s been over a month now for me, I too have a new model 3 owned by me this time and am just awaiting my retention certificate but it seems impossible to get information from anyone at Tesla. Seems only done by email but they don’t/havnt responded to any 👍🏼

My previous car was a lease through ZenAuto, which I put my cherished plate onto. A couple of months before I returned the car I asked them to remove the plate and put it on retention. I paid the fee and a day or two later I was sent the new number plate document to get new plates made up. A week or so later I received the retention document in the post. It was in the name of ZenAuto, but nobody questioned anything when I assigned the plate to my new car online, using the code on the retention document. It’s all about the code, nobody really cares about the name on the document.