Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private sale VS trade in, 2018 m3 LWD red < 30k in PacNW ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what’s the expected private sale price for m3 LWD?

No dings, accidents, etc. ~29k miles. Just, like 3 weeks ago, bought some new tires from Costco (MICH PRIMACY MXM4 235/45R18 98W XL BSW HIGH PERFORM ACCOUSTIC). Got all the usual extras for PacNW incl mats, front coverage, etc.

wondering private via here, CL, suffer Carmax or worse still tesla trade in.

Any info great, thanks.

If it had really low miles, I would look at Tesla trade-in. With the miles you have, I doubt Tesla would offer much, but it doesn't hurt to ask - at least that sets a lower boundary.

Same thing with CarMax...I haven't had any luck with their quotes, but they are easy to get.

Autotrader costs a bit and hasn't gotten me any serious customers.

I have had great luck selling Teslas on Craigslist. I also sold one quickly in a local Facebook group, although I probably underpriced it. I am no longer on Facebook so I don't know if much has changed there.

I haven't followed the market carefully, but a week ago I would have figured you could get around 40k. With the recent price drop it's probably a little lower now.

Good luck!

Reactions: MikeBur
I listed my absolutely pristine 5,900 mile 2019 Red Performance 3+ on here and no one will match the trade price that Tesla is giving me for it. In fact I’m also trading our 2016 S back in for the same reason. It kills me because Tesla isn’t giving anymore for our pristine cars as they give for beat up cars, they just don’t seem to care about condition. As long as a car looks ok in pictures they are happy to accept them and pay the same trade price.

I listed my absolutely pristine 5,900 mile 2019 Red Performance 3+ on here and no one will match the trade price that Tesla is giving me for it. In fact I’m also trading our 2016 S back in for the same reason. It kills me because Tesla isn’t giving anymore for our pristine cars as they give for beat up cars, they just don’t seem to care about condition. As long as a car looks ok in pictures they are happy to accept them and pay the same trade price.

Tesla is not really in the used car business. If you want to get top dollar you will market it properly yourself. That's not really much different than any other car.

Thanks All, looks like 37-40 is the range. Perhaps Tesla would push the bottom of the range down ;)

AWD? RWD? LR RWD?
Sorry LR, RWD. They all were at the time. It’s premium interior, has FSD with v3 computer, homelink and premium unlimited connectivity. Also clean title, no accidents, etc etc.

I have had great luck selling Teslas on Craigslist. I also sold one quickly in a local Facebook group, although I probably underpriced it. I am no longer on Facebook so I don't know if much has changed there.
Good luck!
Thanks Chad, it’s really whether you buy a Y currently. With all the potential financial distraction, it’s looking wiser to hold off for 6-12 months - though Jo likes to go zoom and a Perf Y is appealing ;-)

Thanks. It does seem weird that you can spend a lot to protect your car, nanny it and hand wash every other week, yet you will get the same price as if you trashed it to heck though don’t have reported accidents.

Well if anyone has a pristine M3 for sale in the PNW around July/August I’ll be in the market. Was heavily shopping used, but with the price drop new is more and more appealing. The downside is being patient and likely waiting until the end of the quarter push in September.

2 months ago, I sold my 2018 Mid Range Tesla model 3 with only 9600 miles to Auto Nation for $37k. That was before all car dealers were closed. That was the highest offer. The dealer listed the car in their website for $43k, then after 2 months it went down to $40k and they may have sold it. I was surprised someone still bought it with this uncertainty economy. They actually can buy a brand new 2020 standard plus model 3 for $38k with auto pilot from Tesla directly.