Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private site billing for Gen 3 Wall connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
Surprised this hasn't been discussed because I think it's a game changer.

A few things to unpack
1. Tesla adding payment for wall connectors - presumably both ones it might own (at say a suburban supercharger site), and for private operators
2. Tesla presumable taking a 'cut' at private sites for providing the billing
3. App access for non-Teslas (much like the European supercharger trial)

Point 3 obviously works better in Type 2 countries where non-Teslas won't need an adapter.
Although Tesla could also release Wall chargers with J1772/Type1 plugs (as they did for a short period with Gen2)

But given the price point of the Tesla Wall Chargers versus competitors with billing capability, and the load sharing, I think this might spur a massive increase in the number of wall chargers around.

Edit. Have just come across some discussion on this article in the Hotel destination charging thread - How much extra would you pay for a Hotel with Destination Charging that you could Reserve?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and bjhinkle
Six seems like a lot for a single site especially if they don't offer the gen 3's in J1772. I'd personally be willing to team up with my local Tesla club and install a bunch in rural Alberta, but most towns would be start with one and see see if it gets much use and isn't vandalized.

Now the only real question is what is the fee structure going to be to Tesla for handling the billing.

6 charging outlets for 400 each seems pretty reasonable by itself.