TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pro-Tesla Legislation proposed in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'News' started by Jackl1956, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

2. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Thanks. The link you provided for WSJ is for subscribers only. A shorter summary link: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/wsj/SIG=12hjhii33/*http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/06/09/big-auto-turns-on-tesla/?mod=yahoo_hs

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

They must have bought Teslas!

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Boils down to "we're stuck in an outdated business model so Tesla should be, too."

6. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Maybe we should start a PAC and get legislation like this advanced in multiple states

7. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

The AAM is probably jumping on this as a way to get franchise laws repealed, as opposed to trying to stop Tesla.

8. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

I find the title of the article misleading. Reading the article and the supposed intent of the legislation, it looks like another anti-competition piece of legislation very similar to what we've seen elsewhere. The one distinction is that instead of trying to take on Tesla directly (and bringing out all of the craziness that happens with that), the auto dealers get a law on the books that says you can only sell cars through a franchise (with one narrow exception made now for one company).

The bill isn't pro-Tesla in that it casts Tesla as "special" or worthy of special status in the law. I find that as repugnant as legislation that attempts to stop Tesla from doing business the way they prefer, and I hope the FTC is as scathing in their comments about this PA proposal as they've been of other states.

The bill IS anti-competition.

9. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

#9 RobStark, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    The bill is both. It does not single out Tesla as it does in Washington State law. It says any auto company dealing exclusively with electric vehicles is exempted from franchised dealership laws.

Detroit Electric and ​ Bolloré etc. Fisker and BYD if they decide to skip hybrids.

Giving full access to the Pennsylvania auto market to Tesla is pro-Tesla and it is anti-competition in that it does not allow ICE or hybrid car makers the ability to sell to customers directly. But that ain't happening through legislation any time this decade or probably even the next decade. That is a battle for a different day.

Edit

Any body notice this... "The bill was proposed by Republican state Sen. John Rafferty Jr. , the chairman of the Transportation Committee."

The Bill is not being advanced by a " kale slurping hippie." Sen Rafferty has a 78% rating from the American Conservative Union.

10. sbronle1

sbronle1 Member

No doubt that in the long run the people's choice will win out. Dealerships are painful and quickly becoming passé. I am a progressive baby boomer but I am progressive and up to date so to speak. There is no doubt in my mind that Tesla rules. Our society needs to adapt, migrate or die. I suspect they will adapt very quickly.

11. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

I like the idea of an Internet-based promotion advocating: Free Commerce; empowering innovation; and American ingenuity. It would work on both sides of the political aisle. It's a great argument, especially during mid-term elections.