Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 here with 132k miles on the odometer. I'm on my 4th year, I haven't changed my 12 volt battery yet. What do you think you're accomplishing by changing it before the car calls for it?
Mine died with no warning, leaving my wife stranded. Then Tesla would change it under warranty, but they wanted to tow it. So, more waiting and then a drive the next day to pickup the car.

I would have gladly paid $100 to avoid that trouble with a 24 month old car.

Im approaching 48 months. Not sure what I will do.

2018 Model 3 here with 132k miles on the odometer. I'm on my 4th year, I haven't changed my 12 volt battery yet. What do you think you're accomplishing by changing it before the car calls for it?
With an ICE car, the car does not tell you when to replace 12v battery. I normally replace 12v batteries around the 4-5 year intervals in my ICE cars. Sooner if I have some travel plans and doing some prep maintenance.
Why wait till stranded to replace any maintenance item. Tires too, 4-5 years even if tread still good.

Reactions: outdoors
I can attest to 2 years being the case for me. Luckily I got the warning, scheduled the appointment and Tesla replaced free of charge. My understanding is that they have improved the battery and tech even more, so maybe it’ll last longer this time?
Tesla have changed the way they charge and monitor the 12v battery for the better through software updates. As far as actual physical changes to the 12v battery, it's arguable as to whether they've made any improvements. There have only been 2 revisions on the 12v battery, with part number 1129182-00-A being used for Model 3 up to around April 2018. The newer revision with part number 1129182-00-B had been used ever since, up until the newest OEM lithium ion low voltage battery. We don't know what exactly changed between the revisions A and B, and if it was for better qualities or for cost reduction. However, my Model 3 was made in March 2018 and has the revision A battery which is still working fine after almost 4 years and 73,200 miles.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Tesla have changed the way they charge and monitor the 12v battery for the better through software updates. As far as actual physical changes to the 12v battery, it's arguable as to whether they've made any improvements. There have only been 2 revisions on the 12v battery, with part number 1129182-00-A being used for Model 3 up to around April 2018. The newer revision with part number 1129182-00-B had been used ever since, up until the newest OEM lithium ion low voltage battery. We don't know what exactly changed between the revisions A and B, and if it was for better qualities or for cost reduction. However, my Model 3 was made in March 2018 and has the revision A battery which is still working fine after almost 4 years and 73,200 miles.
Be interesting to see changes quantified I.e. batteries will now last x% longer.

Be interesting to see changes quantified I.e. batteries will now last x% longer.
Honestly I don't think they improved the capacity of the batteries, since they have the same Ah rating. Most likely they made changes to how they are made in order to mass produce them quicker, or more cheaply. The beginning of 2018 was when Tesla was just starting to ramp up production of the Model 3 and they were going through production hell. So my guess is that they allowed changes in order for the manufacturer (Hankook/AtlasBX) to be able to meet demand for them or to save money on them.

With an ICE car, the car does not tell you when to replace 12v battery. I normally replace 12v batteries around the 4-5 year intervals in my ICE cars. Sooner if I have some travel plans and doing some prep maintenance.
Why wait till stranded to replace any maintenance item. Tires too, 4-5 years even if tread still good.
the difference is that with an ICE car (in my 45 yrs of experience with over a dozen of them), when an ICE 12V battery dies, it has never been "catastrophic" (dead is dead). I have never been locked out of the car. I could always get it jump started and be on my way -- never stranded. I could take my time, sometimes more than a week, to figure out how best to get it replaced. Maybe I'd have to drive around with a portable jump starter, but otherwise no big deal.

However, if the alternator goes... well that wasn't fun. Once I had to drive 6hrs at night with a dead alternator, slowing watching the battery drain (the car had an ammeter so I could see what was happening)... turning off the headlights for a while to try to save charge... ugh.

the difference is that with an ICE car (in my 45 yrs of experience with over a dozen of them), when an ICE 12V battery dies, it has never been "catastrophic" (dead is dead). I have never been locked out of the car. I could always get it jump started and be on my way -- never stranded. I could take my time, sometimes more than a week, to figure out how best to get it replaced. Maybe I'd have to drive around with a portable jump starter, but otherwise no big deal.

However, if the alternator goes... well that wasn't fun. Once I had to drive 6hrs at night with a dead alternator, slowing watching the battery drain (the car had an ammeter so I could see what was happening)... turning off the headlights for a while to try to save charge... ugh.
If you want as similar an experience you can get, you can leave a jump starter in the frunk and then hide a battery that can pop the frunk somewhere (so you can use it on the leads in the tow hook cover). If the 12V is completely dead, the frunk should be able to pop (the only situation where this might not work is if the 12V still has enough charge to keep frunk locked, but not enough to unlock car).

Reactions: android04
For what it's worth, I had a lengthy conversation with a mobile service tech yesterday and discussed the proactive swap of the battery. According to the tech he has not had to rescue anyone stranded due to this, he's done some swaps due to the car telling the owner the battery was nearing the end of its life but that's it. I do like the weight savings idea of the MP battery but not sure $600 worth...

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
For what it's worth, I had a lengthy conversation with a mobile service tech yesterday and discussed the proactive swap of the battery. According to the tech he has not had to rescue anyone stranded due to this, he's done some swaps due to the car telling the owner the battery was nearing the end of its life but that's it. I do like the weight savings idea of the MP battery but not sure $600 worth...
FWIW, that’s one tech with his small sample. That tech may also be new. Earlier versions of the firmware did not even have a warning message so 12v failure em was ALWAYS unannounced. Now there are warnings, but it is my impression anecdotally through forum that they have a short leash (do it NOW). There are also still catastrophic unannounced 12v failures… a friend of mine had one several months ago. It was in an ‘18 3, and tech told them that early batteries had a flaw… so if you have an old 3, replace your battery! Both of mine are ‘18 and i’m having both 4 year old batteries replaced next week via mobile service. $100 is a small price to pay every few years to avoid being stranded.

FWIW, these cars require almost no maintenance and there’s no annual service requirement. ICE cars (should) get serviced at least once per year, and most shops check everything including battery. Computerized diagnostics are great, but people should not freak out if sometimes they don’t catch everything.

What selection on the App allows you to order a replacement 12V battery? I’ve looked in the service request section and nothing mentions the 12V. I’d like to have a ranger come out to house and swap mine early… car is 3.5 years old.

FWIW, that’s one tech with his small sample. That tech may also be new. Earlier versions of the firmware did not even have a warning message so 12v failure em was ALWAYS unannounced. Now there are warnings, but it is my impression anecdotally through forum that they have a short leash (do it NOW). There are also still catastrophic unannounced 12v failures… a friend of mine had one several months ago. It was in an ‘18 3, and tech told them that early batteries had a flaw… so if you have an old 3, replace your battery! Both of mine are ‘18 and i’m having both 4 year old batteries replaced next week via mobile service. $100 is a small price to pay every few years to avoid being stranded.

FWIW, these cars require almost no maintenance and there’s no annual service requirement. ICE cars (should) get serviced at least once per year, and most shops check everything including battery. Computerized diagnostics are great, but people should not freak out if sometimes they don’t catch everything.
My point really wasn't pertaining to proactive swapping of the lead acid battery it was more directed at getting the lithium battery.

Is there a date code on the battery? If so, can it be easily seen without removing the battery? I'm guessing my new-to-me 2018 Model 3 is on it's second battery already but would be nice to know for sure.
IMG_9674.jpeg

Well, I jinxed it. Battery is original, so I guess 4 years isn't so bad given what people on here have been saying.

IMG_9675.jpeg

That a402 error seems new(ish). Either I got lucky and the battery fully died while the DC-DC was connected or Tesla is getting more proactive about checking while the car is in a powered state to try and reduce the number of people stranded.

Anyone know if I'll have trouble clearing these codes on my own if I replace the 12V while the DC-DC is on? Normally the processes is to wait for the car to sleep before swapping the battery, but I don't think that will ever happen with the a402 code present.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau