Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I asked my other 2 coworker who got 12v replacement. They had their battery replaced after 3.5 years and around 40k miles. They didn't have to pay for the replacements. If my warning message came up 1 month earlier I didn't have to pay either. My other coworker only has about 17k miles on his M3, and no warning message yet.

My "other coworker" mentioned above just got the 12v replacement notice warning. So now 4 out of 4 of us who got Model 3 AWD in fall of 2018 got the warning messages under 4 years. I think Tesla is replacing a LOT of 12V this summer LOL.

Mine failed last fall just shy of 3 years. No warning. Left the office and the door opened fine, plopped my computer bag on the passenger seat and noticed that the air hadn't started and the screen didn't light up. Tried button reset but nothing. Had to use the emergency release to get back out of the car and made the huge mistake of closing the door behind me. It wouldn't open up again. Called Tesla service and they sent a flatbed. The guy gets there and connects his jump battery to the leads behind the towhook and it initially wouldn't pop the frunk. Took a bit but I finally saw it showup in the app and was able to get it popped from there. He then pulled the cowling off and hooked up the jump battery to the 12v in the car. Still couldn't get the doors to open. Said that he had never had that happen before. So he had to wrestle the car onto the flatbed without being able to get inside of it. Luckily he was good at his job and the parking lot was fairly empty by then. By then my wife had come to pick me up & they had it ready by about 9:00 am the next day. I needed to pick it up right away, because as I said my computer was in the car.
I wish they could have just sent a ranger to replace it on the spot. I got a lot of comments from people that saw my "fancy" car loaded on the flatbed & had to explain that it was the 100 year old lead acid technology that failed. Everyone would have thought it was awesome if a ranger would have come and fixed it right there on the spot.

Mine failed last fall just shy of 3 years.
Yep, before they updated the detection method last winter.
At least you got notified. The big issue is random failure where people get stranded out of the blue.
Still waiting for someone to point to this happening in the last 6 months.

The guy gets there and connects his jump battery to the leads behind the towhook and it initially wouldn't pop the frunk. Took a bit but I finally saw it showup in the app and was able to get it popped from there.
None of this makes sense. The leads behind the towhook do not jump the car. They pop the frunk directly and have no connection to the rest of the car.

For those that have the lead acid, is there an easy way to retrofit a lithium ion battery? Either the new CATL LFP or an aftermarket LFP?
There are aftermarket LFP batteries like Ohmmu, but they need to play the cat and mouse game in terms of a BMS that is able to fool Tesla's BMS into thinking the attached battery is a good condition 12V lead acid. You can't just easily plop in a generic LFP 12V battery and expect it to work properly.

The custom CATL LFP pack Tesla is using in the newest cars is completely different (14.8V nominal) and the car side BMS is also completely different so is not going to be an easy retrofit.

Last edited:
The custom CATL LFP pack Tesla is using in the newest cars is completely different (14.8V nominal) and the car side BMS is also completely different so is not going to be an easily retrofit.
It's not LFP. It's standard NMC, which is why the nominal voltage is 15V. As an example of the impact, these cars use different wiper motors due to the different voltage. It's also way smaller in capacity (99Wh vs >400 for the Lead Acid), is locally managed, and is on the CAN bus. It's also unheated, so behavior in extended cold temps is unknown.

but they need to play the cat and mouse game in terms of a BMS that is able to fool Tesla's BMS into thinking the attached battery is a good condition 12V lead acid.
Which to be clear, is not the normal behavior of a BMS. To do this accurately, they would need to change the actual voltage the battery puts out, not just protect from under and over voltage.

Here's a big thread on an aftermarket LFP battery and the issues people have been having since Tesla improved their 12V managment:

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
It's not LFP. It's standard NMC, which is why the nominal voltage is 15V. As an example of the impact, these cars use different wiper motors due to the different voltage. It's also way smaller in capacity (99Wh vs >400 for the Lead Acid), is locally managed, and is on the CAN bus. It's also unheated, so behavior in extended cold temps is unknown.
You are right, it's NMC. I presumed given it was CATL that it would be LFP like most packs, but it's not.

You are right, it's NMC. I presumed given it was CATL that it would be LFP like most packs, but it's not.

It's probably my fault cause I might have referenced it as LFP. 'Sho 'Nuff, it's NMC. Are there any 2022s that wouldn't get this low-voltage battery? Maybe the early ones?

Why? Would you really pay $2K to "upgrade" to a a small lithium battery?
If you are so worried, carry a spare 12V battery in the frunk, a 10mm wrench, and learn how to swap it yourself.

Would a small 12V Li-Ion/LFP battery work? Like a Shorai LFP designed to replace a motorcycle battery? They're designed for about the same 12V charging profile according to the battery OEMs.

Would a small 12V Li-Ion/LFP battery work? Like a Shorai LFP designed to replace a motorcycle battery? They're designed for about the same 12V charging profile according to the battery OEMs.
5 posts above yours is a link to a thread on a company that does that and the issues they are having because Tesla's charger throws errors with LFP batteries because the charger is very sophisticated and can/has changed with firmware updates.

You need the battery itself. A new DC/DC (or "PCS"), new wiring harness, new windshield wiper motors, and who knows what else. Even if the parts were free, labor would not be trivial.

You can dig through the Tesla parts catalog and find everything that changed if you really care.
Isn't the PCS an AC to DC conversion system? Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

Isn't the PCS an AC to DC conversion system? Power Conversion System (PCS) failure
It's both, from the very thread you linked:
"The PCS sits on top of the battery and controls AC and DC charging as well as supplying 12 VDC".

In this particular application you care mostly about the DC/DC portion as that is what handles a bulk of the 12V supply/charging. It is rare when you are charging from AC (some people never do if they rely exclusively on supercharging) and even then I'm not even sure if there is a direct 120/250V AC to 12V DC conversion in that case (as opposed to converting to ~400 VDC and then converting to 12VDC as normal).