Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm counting on it. I carry a small Noco in the frunk, and a 9V in my pocket.
An A23 12V cell (or two in parallel just to be safe) also works and may be a better option as it takes up less space and can be stashed in the tow hook area.

However the issues people talk about are error messages that pop up if using LFP for permanent solution as opposed to something like jumping the car or temporary.

I would love to see the face of a BMW delivery where they hand the owner a
9V battery and tell him to tape it to the bumper somewhere.
You should watch the latest Rich Rebuilds where he can't even get into his BMW i8 because it requires electrical power to open the doors, trunk, and frunk, and his battery is dead. At least our cars were designed with a spot and method to open them up!

But all this is completely silly because it's all based on someone being worried their battery will die and strand them somewhere, which can happen with a BMW or any other car also. Tesla isn't telling anyone to do this. And just like any other car, if you have another car with 12V and jumper cables, you can get the car going.

Reactions: dhrivnak
An A23 12V cell (or two in parallel just to be safe) also works and may be a better option as it takes up less space and can be stashed in the tow hook area.

However the issues people talk about are error messages that pop up if using LFP for permanent solution as opposed to something like jumping the car or temporary.
Actually, I carry two batteries, the 9v and a A23 12v, I just didn't mention it. I'm tempted to tape it behind the tow hook instead of carrying it, but I fear it'll eventually die. Okay, you convinced me, I'm going to go out right now and tape it behind the tow hook. My luck, when I need it, it'll be dead too.
IMG_4782.jpeg

Okay, it's done. 12v taped behind tow eye cover. 9v goes in my pocket!

Last edited:
My 2015 P85D, two year and 56,000 miles-No battery replacement when turned in on lease. 2016 90D My battery final went out after 5 years and 120,000 miles, all in HOT Sacramento Summers and COLD Tahoe Winters. I attribute the longevity to consistently having the car plugged in.
My 2015 MS was plugged in every night and unfortunately it did nothing to extend the life of my 12v batteries in the MS or my current M3.

My 2015 MS was plugged in every night and unfortunately it did nothing to extend the life of my 12v batteries in the MS or my current M3.
That is expected. The management of the 12V battery doesn't depend on being plugged into the wall at all. The 12V battery charges off the HV battery whenever it needs to, and the car will go to sleep (meaning it runs just off the 12V) when plugged in after charging is done.

4 1/2 years and 86,000 miles on the original battery. Hopefully I will get the alert before a problem.
Well I jinxed myself as at 87,000 miles I got the alert, 400 miles from home Saturday afternoon when we were to travel home Sunday afternoon. So I purchased a 51R replacement and easy replacement and no more errors.

Attachments

• IMG_1114[1].JPG
    IMG_1114[1].JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 70