Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow-up: Early in the production history of the Model 3, it was found that you could open the frunk using this method even though the 12V battery was still functional. It has been stated in the manual (from the beginning I believe) that this procedure can only work if the 12V battery is dead. That wasn't true. My understanding is that this bug was fixed with a subsequent software release but I've not personally tested it out myself.

Reactions: android04 and abax
Follow-up: Early in the production history of the Model 3, it was found that you could open the frunk using this method even though the 12V battery was still functional. It has been stated in the manual (from the beginning I believe) that this procedure can only work if the 12V battery is dead. That wasn't true. My understanding is that this bug was fixed with a subsequent software release but I've not personally tested it out myself.
I saw a recent youtube video of someone demonstrating frunk won't open if the car is locked so it must be fixed. I haven't yet seen anyone with a dead battery AND a locked car to verify frunk can indeed be opened with an a23. Just have to trust it'll work ..

One month after replacing my Model 3 12V, our Model X is now getting the same warning for 12V replacement. Our 2017 MX first 12V died in Nov 2019 and got replaced. Now just passed 2.5 years, it needs to be replaced again. Good thing I got extended warranty on the MX so it should be free...

I think the FL heat is brutal on the 12v batteries. My last battery only lasted 8 months(not normal) and the original lasted less than 3 years. I think your weather in Washington helps a lot.
Go back and start reading here:

I said the same thing about heat in the past and got a lot of pushback on it....

Go back and start reading here:

I said the same thing about heat in the past and got a lot of pushback on it....
well...living in North Texas the 12V in my F150 lasted over 4 years (I traded it in for my Model 3) and it gets pretty hot here. I can see that in really hot places the 12V *might* fail after 3-4 yrs ... but definitely not after just 2 yrs. Hot places + cars and 12V batteries aren't unique for Teslas. And in ICE vehicles the 12V is usually located in the engine bay where it does get a lot hotter than in a Tesla.

well...living in North Texas the 12V in my F150 lasted over 4 years (I traded it in for my Model 3) and it gets pretty hot here. I can see that in really hot places the 12V *might* fail after 3-4 yrs ... but definitely not after just 2 yrs. Hot places + cars and 12V batteries aren't unique for Teslas. And in ICE vehicles the 12V is usually located in the engine bay where it does get a lot hotter than in a Tesla.
I have lived in Florida since the 80’s and it wasn’t long after that I noticed a 12v battery failure in every one of my ice vehicles averaging 3 years. I never skipped maintenance checks. Maybe salt air accelerates this issue.

Size might matter too. If they are anything like lithium ion, larger capacity batteries see less stress for the same usage.

Size might matter too. If they are anything like lithium ion, larger capacity batteries see less stress for the same usage.
Yes, cycles matter for Lead Acid also, so larger batteries by definition will have fewer cycles for the same number of Wh of use.

Ironically, Tesla has gone from a >400Wh Lead Acid to a 99Wh Lithium with no thermal management system, yet everyone is convinced the Lithium is better. The reality is we won't know for a few more years.

Just adding my experience here rather than responding to anyone in particular. I first got 12v error messages on my 2018 M3P a couple of days ago, a few weeks to expiration of warranty. I booked it in for service and was able to get a same day appointment (LA Centinela SC) and the 12v was replaced under warranty. No subsequent issues thus far.

I have lived in Florida since the 80’s and it wasn’t long after that I noticed a 12v battery failure in every one of my ice vehicles averaging 3 years. I never skipped maintenance checks. Maybe salt air accelerates this issue.
Same here, been in FL all my life. 3 years is about the average lifetime for my batteries. Making things worse is my car is black, so the heat soak must be really bad as its parked outside all day.

Reactions: FloridaGary
And I plug in every night and my Model X is going on 5 years and my Model 3 is 3.5 years on the original batteries.
It must be the heat here in CA, our 2017 MX just had the 2nd 12v replacement this morning. The guy said on average, most 2017 MX 12v last about 2 to 3 years here. He has seen a few 2017 MX with first battery replacement this year, but that's rare. I watched the whole process. The Model 3 replacement took under 5 minutes. The Model X took like 30+ minutes. They have to take out a lot of stuff including the frunk liner, frunk tub, the big filter, and others to get to the 12V to take it out. The Model X 12v replacement also costed 2x as much as the Model 3. Model 3 is about $125, Model X is about $250. My extended warranty on the Model X does not cover 12v. :confused:

I have a similar concern with my MS which is nearly 3 years old. I have replaced lots of ICE 12 volt batteries, but doing this in a Tesla is not so simple. I am wondering if extreme temperature exposure plays a role in earlier failures.
Maybe it's not so simple for you, but it looks just like the batteries I've replaced in ICE cars. As to longevity, I've owned two Model S's that had over 100,000 miles on them, both near four years old, and I never even looked at the 12-volt battery. I'm not sure where your "extreme temperature" comment comes from, as the battery does not sit in a hot engine compartment like in most gas cars, and the temperatures in Encino are relatively mild.

Just adding my experience here rather than responding to anyone in particular. I first got 12v error messages on my 2018 M3P a couple of days ago, a few weeks to expiration of warranty. I booked it in for service and was able to get a same day appointment (LA Centinela SC) and the 12v was replaced under warranty. No subsequent issues thus far.
As another data point, I have a 2018 M3LR RWD that I took deliver in Oct 2018 and just got our 12V warning this week and had it replaced under warranty. So about 3.75yrs for me. SoCal and 18k miles.