Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Contactor Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like the same thing ours is in for. Was asked to try and get the battery down to 30%, if not they will discharge it but it takes longer to do that. It might be ready today as they were waiting on a part to be overnighted from the Mother Ship in Cali. Anyone else with a 44xxx VIN having it done. I'll report back after she's home.

It sounds like the same thing ours is in for. Was asked to try and get the battery down to 30%, if not they will discharge it but it takes longer to do that. It might be ready today as they were waiting on a part to be overnighted from the Mother Ship in Cali. Anyone else with a 44xxx VIN having it done. I'll report back after she's home.
Interesting. My SC made it sound like it only affected early cars (ours is 2 years old this week). What battery pack do you have? We have an A.

My car is in the service center now to have the contactors replaced. I was getting a failure once a week where I would get in the car and it said it needed service. I would simply get out of the car, lock up and start again and that would clear up the problem but Tesla has decided the contactors will eventually fail. It will take several days to do the fix since they need to drain the battery and return the car to the factory to repair the battery.

Hmm, a HV pack at 30% SOC is still pretty dangerous. not sure how much that helps.

Do we have any idea how many cars are affected by this proactive service campaign?

No idea how many cars are affected. I didn't care to ask. The process was so easy I didn't even have time to think about it. The 30% soc made sense since they needed a bit of range to drive it back to the service center about 15 miles away. If it helps, I have a VIN S005xx.

An employee came by to pick up my car tonight, dropping off a loaner. He explained that they'd be opening the pack to see if I could benefit from some new parts inside (I think he said the contactors, but maybe I just assumed that). Having read this thread, I commented how nice it was that they could do it at the local service center rather than having to send the pack back to headquarters.

He said that was generally true...expect for Sig (I assume he meant rev "A") packs! Their local tech hadn't been trained on those, so they ARE going to send my pack to headquarters. Wow, costly stuff - really impressive to see Tesla willing to do this proactively; there have been no problems with my car. I'm also a little surprised to hear the packs are that different. Well, I guess a small difference in, say attachment methods could be enough to make field fixes notably different.

They will swap in a temporary pack so I'll get my car back tomorrow; then at some point they'll have to swap my pack back in. Hmm, I wonder if the temporary pack will be a newer one. Maybe I should take a road trip with the temporary pack to see if I can charge over 90kW...

As we've heard before, he said that they thought this was only a possible issue for a limited number of cars. Odd that we've seen at least one late-ish VIN involved, but it clearly doesn't seem to include everybody.

Last edited:
They will swap in a temporary pack so I'll get my car back tomorrow; then at some point they'll have to swap my pack back in. Hmm, I wonder if the temporary pack will be a newer one. Maybe I should take a road trip with the temporary pack to see if I can charge over 90kW...

Would be interested to see the comparison. For those that have had this pack upgrade performed, do you notice a different noise when the contactors engage?

If they do swap in a B+ pack, will they let you keep it if you agree to pay some nominal fee? Would save them the trouble of sending it to Fremont and having to do a reswap on yours.

Shucks - my temporary pack is another A pack. Oh well.

They say they opened the pack to examine it, decided it could benefit from a "power switch update", and so they are sending it to headquarters.

Great service as always! They also did a full inspection and found not all of my charge port ring was lit, and there was a small leak from a coolant hose. So they replaced both. And there was a crack in the windshield; even though the car's over 2 years old, they didn't see an impact crater so they replaced that for free too. And they washed and vacuumed. Of course it would be better if the car was perfect and never needed to go in, but between the valet service, loaner car, inspections, and them washing my car...I kind of look forward to having the car go in. Very different than any car company I've dealt with before.

Anyone Get This Email from the Service Center?

I am reaching out to schedule a proactive repair on your Model S.

Your vehicle is identified as qualifying for a power switch and supply update (under warranty). This is being done in an effort to ensure that your vehicle is consistently being improved with the most updated parts available.

To accomplish this upgrade, it will require the vehicle being here at the service center, and will take 1-2 days to complete.

Shucks - my temporary pack is another A pack. Oh well.

They say they opened the pack to examine it, decided it could benefit from a "power switch update", and so they are sending it to headquarters.

Great service as always! They also did a full inspection and found not all of my charge port ring was lit, and there was a small leak from a coolant hose. So they replaced both. And there was a crack in the windshield; even though the car's over 2 years old, they didn't see an impact crater so they replaced that for free too. And they washed and vacuumed. Of course it would be better if the car was perfect and never needed to go in, but between the valet service, loaner car, inspections, and them washing my car...I kind of look forward to having the car go in. Very different than any car company I've dealt with before.

Chad ad were you able to have Bellevue do this or was your valet from Seattle? I was told about this about a month ago and then told they were putting a bid on it so Im guessing I'll be hearing back soon.

I got the call about a month ago, but they were not specific and required the car to be in the SC for two days, they did not provide details why needed to be changed, they keep insisting that nothing is wrong and is a "proactive" fix.

OK, then I ask, then the part is prone to break? no, there is nothing wrong with your car!!!

I denied the "fix".

If they can't be transparent why they need my car for two days, then I can't give the car to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just before anyone start jumping to defend Tesla, my car was about 12 times on the SC already, many issues in a year, finally it is working properly, so I would like to keep it that way.
Mechanically is working properly but software still is not, Navigation is broken since last map upgrade feature.

Chad ad were you able to have Bellevue do this or was your valet from Seattle? I was told about this about a month ago and then told they were putting a bid on it so Im guessing I'll be hearing back soon.

Bellevue did my service. Do you mean the windshield - they had a third party come in to do that. (That part took longer than swapping the battery).