Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Contactor Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Van Nuys service center has a device to drain the battery to an acceptable state if the charge level is too high.
That would have been nice. When I had mine in for a drivetrain replacement they surprised me with the contactor replacement news. I was charged to 90%. They "helpfully" left my heater on HI all night with the doors open to drain the battery. If I have heater issues down the road I won't be very happy. Glad they sorted out some other way to drain the battery.

Van Nuys service center has a device to drain the battery to an acceptable state if the charge level is too high.

My car went in at about 30% SOC for new contractors late one afternoon, and for some reason, the SC plugged it in and charged it to 100% that evening. When I got the car back, it had over 100 miles added to the odometer. I think my SC's "device" is "some guy" who drives the car around.

The other weird thing with that experience is that after it was fixed, they left it plugged in overnight with the heat on and the drivers door open. I got numerous "Charge Started" and "Charge Complete" notices on my phone all night. I assume it charged, then the heater ran it down to some threshold, it charged up again and kept repeating this cycle. They didn't disable the Mobile App on this service visit, and when I checked, I could see it sitting there plugged in with the door open. Maybe this was some sort of test to make sure the new contactors were opening and closing properly???

Curious as to the highest VIN and/or pack serial # that was affected by this service campaign? No E packs I assume? Wonder if they switched contactor suppliers at any point during rev. D production.
Engineering monitors the resistance of the contactors remotely, and when the tolerance in out of spec., they flag the car for proactive replacement.

Engineering monitors the resistance of the contactors remotely, and when the tolerance in out of spec., they flag the car for proactive replacement.

This must explain why my Supercharging speed was slow and no matter what, I couldn't get more than 40 kW of Regen for the months leading up to my failure and subsequent replacement. The first thing I noticed after getting my car back was that my full Regen was restored. Funny that I took my car in for the slow Supercharging / Reduced Regen but Tesla said they couldn't find anything wrong at the time. The change (i.e. back to normal) was very noticeable after my contactors were replaced.

Proactive Power Switch Update

I received a call from Tesla service asking me to bring the car in for a battery power switch change. They said the'd need the car for a full day, as they had to remove the battery. I was never able to get a good explanation from the service center as to why this update was needed. They were able to tell me that certain VIN numbers had a battery power switch (whatever that is) that had the potential of causing future problems and my late 2013 P85 had one of those VIN's. They further stated that the shop had already done the service on about 60 cars.

I was surprised that such a recall could affect so many cars in just one service center with nothing posted from owners who've had the service done on this forum. I've done a search on TMC and haven't found any information on the subject. If I've missed something, please advise.

On the way to the Service center, they called and asked that I bring the car in with as low a state of charge as possible, which created the need for a rather lengthly detour to burn off the extra miles. They started on the car Tuesday afternoon and I didn’t get it back until Thursday afternoon. They were very secretive about just what they did, The invoice mentions the battery power switch was updated and re-certified.
The parts list shows that an S3 pack contactor service field repair kit was installed and a cooling system partial re-fill and bleed was done.

Prior to the update the car was losing about 10 mies per day with vampire drain . Since the mod was completed the drain has been cut in half. I commend Tesla for being proactive in making what must have been a rather expensive repair at no charge to me, but wish they had been more forthcoming on why it was needed and the circumstances around the recall.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

This service was just performed on our car (Feb 2013 P85), in addition to a handful of other items as well. Tesla didn't completely explain to me what they were doing, but I didn't really push them hard on it. They had our car for 2 days as well, but our visit was prompted by the failure of the last update to apply. They ended up replacing our center console system to fix that. Originally, they had scheduled just 1 day for the center console, but then asked me if they could have it 2 days to do the battery update as well.

In addition to replacing our center console and the battery contactor update (my SC called it the contactors, which I believe is the same as the power switches), they also replaced a number of interior pieces that have received updates: Our car received new windshield dash vents (since our dash was apart) with improved air distribution, new A-pillar covers and a new roof crossbar cover (panoramic roof) with an improved design to prevent rattles/squeaks. They also told me they installed updated TPMS antennas and adjusted the TPMS module's position to move it further down (?). They originally told me they were going to send me an email with a list of everything they've done, but I haven't seen it so far.

Can you pleas post a that list of updates when you get it? Thanks. Did they ask you if you wanted the front vents installed? Because I do not want them because of their glare on the windscreen, I'd be pretty pissed if they did that without asking me first.
I've been in a couple of times since the vents were released and they have never installed them.