Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Contactor Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, they could just charge their cost (parts+labor) for these hardware upgrades for people who didn't buy the service plan.

True, but I suspect same "lead balloon response!

Is there a list anywhere of all the "free" upgrades that Tesla has done for all owners that weren't TSB or warranty items? Things like:

Defrosters
Floor mats
Sun Visors
Front brakes
Door handles (warranty?)

What's missing from this list?

I've had numerous other "little" items.

12v Jump Post due to corrosion (several times)
Side Mirrors due to corrosion
Fender mounted turn signal repeaters due to corrosion
Tesla "T" on trunk lid due to corrosion
Rear Seatbelts (upgraded due to an early identified problem)
UMC several times due to connector failure
Drive Unit (waiting on my second)

and probably a bunch of other stuff... but I don't think there was anything here "Service Plan" specific.

Thinking about it, maybe some of the "hardware" Tesla was talking about are things like Brake Pads (if needed), the a/c desiccant filter they recently replaced at one of my "annuals" the coolant they replaced and so forth. They also found and fixed a broken front stabilizer link at my last annual at no extra cost. Maybe that would have cost extra without the Plan. Or maybe it was warranty. I just don't know.

Well that explains a few things...

This must explain why my Supercharging speed was slow and no matter what, I couldn't get more than 40 kW of Regen for the months leading up to my failure and subsequent replacement. The first thing I noticed after getting my car back was that my full Regen was restored. Funny that I took my car in for the slow Supercharging / Reduced Regen but Tesla said they couldn't find anything wrong at the time. The change (i.e. back to normal) was very noticeable after my contactors were replaced.

I just took mine in for replacement (VIN 83XX) after notification when I scheduled annual service, but on my last supercharge things were unusually slow, and regen has been much more limited than the temperature or SOC would justify. Will see what happens when I get it back. Like others, noticed via the app that they used running the heat to drain the battery; now wondering why the app is showing it holding at 24% charge rather than a particular number of miles...

SOC must be below 30% for the field repair, hence the 24 you are seeing.

Limiting SpC taper and regen must be a new feature in the recent firmwares that responds to contactor resistance. I don't recall others mentioning this as an early warning sign or indicator. There was one other post about it but it was in the past month or so.

I just took mine in for replacement (VIN 83XX) after notification when I scheduled annual service, but on my last supercharge things were unusually slow, and regen has been much more limited than the temperature or SOC would justify. Will see what happens when I get it back.

Please let us know. I am very curious to see if my experience was related.

Limiting SpC taper and regen must be a new feature in the recent firmwares that responds to contactor resistance. I don't recall others mentioning this as an early warning sign or indicator. There was one other post about it but it was in the past month or so.

I certainly saw it, but have no idea if it was related or just a coincidence. It was very obvious, however. Even in summer, cruising at freeway speeds, if I dropped my foot right off the accelerator, the re-gen would only go to about 45 kW and just kinda quiver there. I would max out at about 20-30 kW at Superchargers (barely more than a HPWC would give) with battery SOC well below 50%. I mentioned both of these issues to Tesla, and even gave dates and times so they could check logs, but they told me they could find nothing wrong. This went on for a few months until I had a total failure of the contactors. After I got the car back, my re-gen was completely back and Supercharging levels were once again normal.

My regen has also been limited the past couple weeks. I figured it was just the cold, but did think it was weird that it wasn't going away even after a long drive. Sure enough, the service center called me to get the power switch replaced as well. I'm taking her in next week and will let you know if the regen magically comes back.

My regen has also been limited the past couple weeks. I figured it was just the cold, but did think it was weird that it wasn't going away even after a long drive. Sure enough, the service center called me to get the power switch replaced as well. I'm taking her in next week and will let you know if the regen magically comes back.

Just beware that Firmware v7.x is less aggressive in generating heat to warm up the battery + the target operating temps are lower in v7 than v6 (i.e., colder). Couple this with v7.x being MUCH more stingy with heating the drivetrain with range mode on, and what you could be seeing is simple an effect of v7 this year vs. v6 last year. Though, the contactors could also play a role if they are closing in on failure and the car is dialing things back to avoid it.

Update: Today was warm and I had no regen limiting at all, so that theory is out.

I would have liked a proactive replacement but my 2012 P85 triggered a serious fault while driving two months back with an immediate failure while highway driving at 65mph+. Failed on reasonable acceleration. Usual excellent response ensued from the folks in Tesla service.

Logs stated that the contactor drive circuit malfunctioned and they replaced & updated the contactors:
Performed power switch update SI 14-16-003, replaced contactors with updated units, replaced the HV fuse also.

While they had it, they also replaces the battery blanket and bolts from gen 1 to gen 2, replaced battery skies/side rails, removing any corrosion present.

Frustrating and hopefully this is generally only a surprise for the 2012s.

Had my S for almost 3 years. I was not experiencing any problems but was asked to bring in my car for front seat belt inspection and contactor replacement. My invoice said "HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY PACK - 1.0 AND 1 1.5 ENCLOSURE - POWER SWITCH RETROFIT KIT FOR 60KWH BATTERIES (1042674-S2-F) "

Does it mean my battery pack was replaced?

Had my S for almost 3 years. I was not experiencing any problems but was asked to bring in my car for front seat belt inspection and contactor replacement. My invoice said "HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY PACK - 1.0 AND 1 1.5 ENCLOSURE - POWER SWITCH RETROFIT KIT FOR 60KWH BATTERIES (1042674-S2-F) "

Does it mean my battery pack was replaced?

That doesn't sound like a pack replacement to me. It sounds like they opened up the pack and made some changes inside it, though.

Thanks. Battery pack was not replaced only the contactors were.

Curious, invoice did not say anything about the Air Conditioner but my AC is performing 1,000% better now. Before I needed to turn it up to 8 to get decent cold air, now it is cold at 1. Does the contactors affects the AC power? I don't think so but again it may be possible for an electric car.

Does anyone know anyone in Texas who is able/willing to replace contractors for an out of warranty Tesla Model S?

The battery and drive units are covered for 8 years, unlimited miles (except for some early 40 and 60 kWh cars). If not a 40 or 60, the contractors, as part of the battery, should still be covered. Earliest deliveries were in 2012, so should be good until 2020. In fact, there was a "recall" over the contactors on many earlier cars.