Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive PEM Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the Level 2 PEM Gruber treatment done right now due to my ridiculous back up light issue in this thread:

Reverse Back Up Lights Not Working - Blown Fuse?

It was either that or paying Tesla $8000 for a remanufactured PEM that I imagined was pieced together with old parts from other PEM's. At this point I'm trusting Gruber more with the PEM than Tesla.

I'd suggest you inspect the PEM FAN connector on teh harness and make sure its not damaged. I'd just replace it every time I pull the pem for good measure. Its only about $10.00 in parts and you have the PEM off which make it WAY easier to replace.

\Molex PEM Connectors

Fan Plug
19418-0004 Automotive Connectors 4CKT RECPT 14-16AWG
0194200009 Automotive Connectors MX150L 14-16 AWG HPA FE SN

I'd suggest you inspect the PEM FAN connector on teh harness and make sure its not damaged. I'd just replace it every time I pull the pem for good measure. Its only about $10.00 in parts and you have the PEM off which make it WAY easier to replace.

\Molex PEM Connectors

Fan Plug
19418-0004 Automotive Connectors 4CKT RECPT 14-16AWG
0194200009 Automotive Connectors MX150L 14-16 AWG HPA FE SN

I asked Tesla to check the connectors several times and was assured the connections were checked "two and three times over." I wrote in the other thread that I'm pretty sure they just checked the tightness of the connections, but not if a pin was recessed in the harness.

I have Gruber checking that first. Even if that's the case, I still plan on going ahead with the full PEM refurbishment. I just think it's time given the PEM's design and current age.

I asked Tesla to check the connectors several times and was assured the connections were checked "two and three times over." I wrote in the other thread that I'm pretty sure they just checked the tightness of the connections, but not if a pin was recessed in the harness.

I have Gruber checking that first. Even if that's the case, I still plan on going ahead with the full PEM refurbishment. I just think it's time given the PEM's design and current age.

I agree with you on the PEM refurb. I'll probably do mine at some point as well,

They will be replacing the PEM FAN Connector on the CIC board as part of that "refurb"

I would also have them replace the PEM FAN END molex (connector on the harness that plugs into the PEM) as well since the PEM is being pulled and its easy to get to with it removed.

It also was suggested earlier to replace it with the GOLD plated connectors PINS instead of the TIN ones which are standard.

Its a cheap part as I noted, and having a good bond, helps with the 1144 errors.