Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Probability of getting a Model S with a "known" issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A vast majority of these issues are "early production run" issues.

I should mention that I had the "loose chargeport" issue; the chargeport didn't seat the cables properly, and probably as a result destroyed three cables. Replacing it with a new chargeport fixed the problem. This is a case where the part Tesla was initially using didn't meet tolerances; new parts, such as used in new cars, are from a different supplier IIRC, and certainly are meeting tighter tolerances.

The 12V battery issues are the same sort of thing -- Tesla switched their specs and supplier for the 12V battery, so new cars won't have the old problems.

The alignment issues are the same sort of thing -- Tesla's alignment machines had the wrong specs programmed into them, and thsi has now been fixed.

You get the idea. If you buy a new car now you are unlikely to face any of these issues. If you buy a used Signature, you'll probably face every last one of them, unless the previous owner had them fixed (so ask for the repair records).

(Incidentally, this is why I would not buy a Signature Series from Tesla unless I was in a raging hurry to get my car. Paying extra for an early production run model means you're paying extra for an inferior model.)

(Incidentally, this is why I would not buy a Signature Series from Tesla unless I was in a raging hurry to get my car. Paying extra for an early production run model means you're paying extra for an inferior model.)

Yea hahaha, stay away from the "signature tax" , lol.

I mean there were def other issues. I only replied to the ones you (op) mentioned. This is because they are mostly all irrelevant now and not even worth you worrying about since they've been addressed. So don't worry, you have 50,000 other beta testers in front of you that already hammered out these details with Tesla. Trust us, we're adamant about stinking it to Tesla to do the right thing and fix them.

Just for shits and giggles, some of the other issues that've been addressed are like:
misaligned panels (panel gaps) which they tweaked out with their robot machines,

loud A/C compressor which now has a jacket to muffle out the noise,

clicking when turning the wheel fully which now has a shin between two different types of metal,

no reading lights in the rear which Elon's kids themselves yelled at him for so they added those,

bad windshields that block EZpass bridge toll transponders which they redesigned the glass to accommodate that and allow the signal through,

crappy useless incandescent fog lights which they replaced with better LED lights,

issues with faulty charging cables and adapters which they've redesigned to fix them,

worries about battery pack punctures which they added the titanium shield,

Uncomfortable seats (ymmv) which they created the next gen vers,

Various wind noises which they've sealed more of the window joints

Pano roof CREAK which they did something similar with tape

I could go on and on but really there's a whole boatload of things that we all encountered early on (I took delivery feb 13 VIN 05837) which all these new cars have fixed already. You need not worry even if new issues are found because they've been 99% excellent at addressing all of them for top notch customer satisfaction.

My last advice would be to not get 21" low profile tires unless your ok with pothole tire blowouts and rim damage and extremely short tread life.... 19s are def the way to go. Many ppl don't realize the caveats of driving around on high performance low profile summer tires (that goes for any car, not Tesla specific).

Yea hahaha, stay away from the "signature tax" , lol.

I mean there were def other issues. I only replied to the ones you (op) mentioned. This is because they are mostly all irrelevant now and not even worth you worrying about since they've been addressed. So don't worry, you have 50,000 other beta testers in front of you that already hammered out these details with Tesla. Trust us, we're adamant about stinking it to Tesla to do the right thing and fix them.

Just for shits and giggles, some of the other issues that've been addressed are like:
misaligned panels (panel gaps) which they tweaked out with their robot machines,

loud A/C compressor which now has a jacket to muffle out the noise,

clicking when turning the wheel fully which now has a shin between two different types of metal,

no reading lights in the rear which Elon's kids themselves yelled at him for so they added those,

bad windshields that block EZpass bridge toll transponders which they redesigned the glass to accommodate that and allow the signal through,

crappy useless incandescent fog lights which they replaced with better LED lights,

issues with faulty charging cables and adapters which they've redesigned to fix them,

worries about battery pack punctures which they added the titanium shield,

Uncomfortable seats (ymmv) which they created the next gen vers,

Various wind noises which they've sealed more of the window joints

Pano roof CREAK which they did something similar with tape

I could go on and on but really there's a whole boatload of things that we all encountered early on (I took delivery feb 13 VIN 05837) which all these new cars have fixed already. You need not worry even if new issues are found because they've been 99% excellent at addressing all of them for top notch customer satisfaction.

My last advice would be to not get 21" low profile tires unless your ok with pothole tire blowouts and rim damage and extremely short tread life.... 19s are def the way to go. Many ppl don't realize the caveats of driving around on high performance low profile summer tires (that goes for any car, not Tesla specific).

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback on my post. Thanks everyone! Seems we will be in good shape and if not we will be in good hands.

We've already committed to the 21" wheels. I honestly can't stand the plain jane look of the 19s. That's just my personal opinion. To each their own. Our roads in Palm Beach are relatively free of pot holes and we average only 8-9k miles a year. Tire wear isn't a concern. I have 22" wheels on my Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have had ZERO problems.

The 21" rims are fine with your use and road conditions. You will need to replace the tires every year to 18 months so rotating your tires is important to extend their life. I've never had an issue with them in three different states other than they are very easy to curb.

The 19" cyclones from Telsa if you powder coat them don't look bad if you did want 19" rims. There are aftermarket options as well.

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback on my post. Thanks everyone! Seems we will be in good shape and if not we will be in good hands.

We've already committed to the 21" wheels. I honestly can't stand the plain jane look of the 19s. That's just my personal opinion. To each their own. Our roads in Palm Beach are relatively free of pot holes and we average only 8-9k miles a year. Tire wear isn't a concern. I have 22" wheels on my Range Rover Sport Supercharged and have had ZERO problems.

Ok cool yea so you know what you're getting. You'll be fine down there with them then. Plus you don't really need a set of winter tires either.

The 21" rims are fine with your use and road conditions. You will need to replace the tires every year to 18 months so rotating your tires is important to extend their life. I've never had an issue with them in three different states other than they are very easy to curb.

The 19" cyclones from Telsa if you powder coat them don't look bad if you did want 19" rims. There are aftermarket options as well.

Agreed. I actually didn't like the look of the stock 19s either. That's why I went aftermarket with the 19" grey turbines from Tsportline. :)