Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

probably makes sense to build off the pickup truck chassis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

Hi, I've read the following Elon's tweet, regarding van-type vehicle.
Elon Musk on Twitter
"probably makes sense to build off the pickup truck chassis"

So apparently I'm not a native English speaker and I don't clealy understand what "build off" means - does that mean Tesla may consider creating a van based on (already in-development) pickup truck chassis? Or does that mean Tesla may need to consider creating a van, separate from pickup truck chassis?

I would read that to mean that the van will be based on the pickup (once the pickup has been developed). It's the way American automakers used to build full size vans. They'd take an existing truck frame, drivetrain, etc. and then build the van shell to put on the truck chassis. It's an oversimplification of how it works, but that is what he seems to be saying.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and hiroshiy
I would read that to mean that the van will be based on the pickup (once the pickup has been developed). It's the way American automakers used to build full size vans. They'd take an existing truck frame, drivetrain, etc. and then build the van shell to put on the truck chassis. It's an oversimplification of how it works, but that is what he seems to be saying.
Hi @Eclectic , thanks, so that means former. That's what I thought.