Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem After Updating to 2021.4.18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 2021.4.18. Now my drivers side headlight does not turn off even when the car is off. I've rebooted about 5 times and no change. I even turned off the headlights via the menu and that headlight still stays on. Any ideas if this is related to the update or it was just a coincidence that my headlight failed after this update? My car is a 2017 75D Model S.

I’d encourage you to do the next step and open your hood, disconnect the HV emergency responder loop (easy and harmless) and then disconnect the 12v NEGATIVE terminal from your battery. Let it sit 5 min, then reconnect everything in reverse.
Those steps have caused weird glitches to truly reset correctly several times for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I’d encourage you to do the next step and open your hood, disconnect the HV emergency responder loop (easy and harmless) and then disconnect the 12v NEGATIVE terminal from your battery. Let it sit 5 min, then reconnect everything in reverse.
Those steps have caused weird glitches to truly reset correctly several times for me.
Thank you I will give it a try.

Yes. I did try the Power Off menu in the display. The car powered off but the drivers headlight stayed on.
I actually opened up a request with Tesla. They told me my car did not take the most recent update (specifically the headlight controller) and they re-pushed the update and asked me to reinstall. Did so and the issue went away.

This makes three times now that 2021.4.10.1 has been installed to my MS. Kinda not trusting their QA process.

There are other threads detailing similar problems, even through reboots and powerdowns. The good news is that they self corrected after a day ... perhaps because the car went to *sleep*. Seems to me that some varuzbkes change with the update, and do not get reset ... needs a complete cold boot to initialize properly. Good luck!

Reactions: croman
Thanks everyone for your inputs. My problem self corrected itself before I was able to try kdday's suggestions. The problem went away after I finished charging my car at home but who knows if this was related or just a coincidence.

Ah! The DuMont Treatment! I've fixed more equipment over the years with a power off restart than 'most any other technique. However...

On my Model 3, the emergency responder loop does not appear to be a plug, but must be cut, according to the tag. Am I wrong in this? I actually have a pair of electrician's cable cutters along with a fire extinguisher and lineman's gloves secured in the frunk. (I've carried them for ages since before EVs as part of my job).
And to be honest, I haven't looked closely to check.

Updated to 2021.4.18. I have one of those heads up displays that connects to the OBD2 port under the center console in the back (I know most people think its ugly...I do too but it is what it is). It has suddenly stopped working. Does anyone know if the software update rendered any accessory connected to the OBD2 port useless?

Updated to 2021.4.18. I have one of those heads up displays that connects to the OBD2 port under the center console in the back (I know most people think its ugly...I do too but it is what it is). It has suddenly stopped working. Does anyone know if the software update rendered any accessory connected to the OBD2 port useless?
Mine has stopped working as well... and I have tried a 2nd HUD just to check. It lights up for 2-3 seconds when starting the car... then dead after that.

Mine has stopped working as well... and I have tried a 2nd HUD just to check. It lights up for 2-3 seconds when starting the car... then dead after that.
Yup same exact thing here...lights up for a few seconds then dead...spoke to Tesla who gave me a sort of a generic "the new software may not play well with aftermarket accessories" line. I'm just hoping they reverse this in future updates so I'm going to keep it connected...if not there goes HUD life lol.

I had this exact headlight issue on a prior update that couldn't be fixed until a long sleep by me and the car. Tesla support couldn't help.

When I drove the car, the turn signal on that side didn't work and threw an error. I had my 12v battery replaced on the next service visit.

I updated to 2021.4.18. Now my drivers side headlight does not turn off even when the car is off. I've rebooted about 5 times and no change. I even turned off the headlights via the menu and that headlight still stays on. Any ideas if this is related to the update or it was just a coincidence that my headlight failed after this update? My car is a 2017 75D Model S.
I had the same problem but mine was nearside not drivers side. I contacted emergency support telephone number. The very helpful guy said:- 1. Power off the vehicle using the screen in the car with the door open then close the door and leave the car for at least 15 minutes. 2. He then downloaded a patch to my car and it sorted it out no problem. I don't know if just turning the car off for 15 minutes works without a download. My version is now 2021.4.18.b9447274f1b4
Try the emergency support telephone number, you can find it on the main screen in the car.

That’s interesting. I always thought with a power off you had to sit in the car with all doors closed the entire time and wait. Does your post mean you could do a power off STARTING with the door open and then closing it will not auto power on again?
I can confirm that my MS can do a power off with the door open, then remain off after I exit and close the door. Even though it's connected to a charger, the screens remain dark.