TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Problem at Newark Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pdq, Apr 25, 2016.

1. pdq

pdq Member

I pulled into the new Superchargers near Newark DE yesterday afternoon. 1 side of each of the 5 "pairs" of chargers were occupied, but 6 A & B were open, so I went to 6B. My battery at the time was in the mid 20% range. At first, things looking to be charging at a normal rate, then the rate of charging started to rapidly decline. I know that the charging slows down significantly as the battery starts to reach it's capacity, but I was far from that, so I started taking pictures on five minute intervals with my cell phone. Weather was good with an outside temp of 69F. Here are the results:

Battery% W V A
    3:10 114 368 313
    3:15 95 373 256
    3:20 78 379 205
    3:25 66 382 173
    3:30 56 58 385 152
    3:35 62 54 388 139
    3:40 67 48 391 126

Is this normal? If I'm interpreting the above correctly, the often repeated stat that Superchargers can add at a rate of 150 - 170 miles of energy in 30 minutes seems very doubtful. Am I interpreting the above correctly?

If anyone in Tesla land wants to see the pictures I took, I'm happy to share them.

pdq

2. pdq

pdq Member

For whatever reason, all the columns above were compressed versus how I had them spread out. The reason that starting at 3:30 there's an additional set of numbers as I included the % of batter charge, so in looking at the above jumble of numbers, work from right to left.

pdq

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Would be helpful to know your battery % at the start and end of the charging period along with whether you have a 60, 70, 85 or 90 kWh battery. I can't parse it out from your data.

I'm presuming 3:10 to 3:40 is the 30 minute period where you recorded the data.

I was at Newark on Friday and charged with no surprises so not sure of your experience.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

It's hard to say without knowing the battery percentages for the first data points, but you don't look too far off normal. Compare to the graph in this post:

Cold battery means not so super supercharge

For your first data point with a battery percentage, you show 56% and 58kW, while that graph shows 70ish kW at that state. Your last data point is 67% and 48kW, while that graph shows around 55kW at that point.

I'm not sure what the difference would be, but for example if you have a 60 or a 70 that would probably do it, since they'll taper off faster than the 85 I believe that graph is from.

150+ miles in 30 minutes is doable, but you need to pull in when nearly empty for that to happen.

5. pdq

pdq Member

Thanks Mikeash, but as stated in my original post, my battery was in the mid 20% range when I pulled in.

My car is a 2015 P90D which is 6 months old.

I'd been driving almost consistently for 2 hours, and combined with the fact that the temps were at 69F as originally stated, I don't see how a "cold battery" could come into play, so the comparison to that graph wouldn't be relevant. Rather, I think I pulled in with absolutely prime charging conditions, but despite the fact that the battery went from mid 20's to 67%, charging slowed from 114W to 48W in the final 30 minutes of my stay..

Is that steep a decline at only 67% charged normal?

If you only pull into a Supercharger when nearly empty, you, my friend, are 100x braver than me!!!!! :)))

pdq

6. mmccord

mmccord Member

Charging from 25 to 70% will be much slower than charging from 0 to 45%, even though the number of miles gained is the same.

7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The graph I showed is for charging with a normal battery temperature, even though the surrounding discussion is about cold. So, yes, a sharp decline like that is normal. And yeah, I don't pull in with zero miles remaining, a buffer is good, but if you're after charging speed you want to cut it as closely as you can.