Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem charging at 110V on Tesla UMC (Red T)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the rain has ended and I’ve read the UMC gen2 guide, and normal operation has resumed, so I conclude that this UMC is much more sensitive to moisture than I would have expected. The manual does express cautions about wetting of the cable or connectors...

What was cutting off the power? The UMC itself? A GFCI outlet? Or a traditional breaker blowing?

These are all vastly different scenarios that require different troubleshooting steps.

The UMC was sporting red error codes, consistent with the title of this thread. No GFCB or breaker issues were noted.

Oh got it, sorry, since you were not the original poster of the thread I assumed we might be dealing with something else.

Can you post more details on which error code was being flashed? Different flash patterns mean different failures. The UMC manual on Tesla’s site has a chart of the various errors you can reference. That will help us determine what is going on.

Probably either the UMC is thinking it is loosing ground (or bonding), OR there is some GFCI fault between the UMC and the car. Could also be the receptacle you are plugging into overheating (though I thought that failure mode manifested in other ways).

I finally read the manual and learned what five red flashes mean: fault in UMC and reduces current. But it was very erratic for hours and days, including recovering normal rate and then relapsing again. Tesla has reserved me a new UMC after reporting in...