Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem continues -- no sound for nearly two weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the problem many others have experienced -- no sound. Nothing for turn signals, autopilot, no alerts, no music -- nada. Software version is 2019.16.2.

Problem first appeared on May 25. Took it to my service center on Memorial Day. They re-downloaded the software (same version)and that appeared to fix the problem. But the next day it started again. I've done all of the recommended solutions -- screen reboot, power down the car, etc.-- and nothing works. Any suggestions?

I've made another service center appt, but based on my Memorial Day experience, another software download (unless it's a new version) will probably not do the trick.

I've had the problem many others have experienced -- no sound. Nothing for turn signals, autopilot, no alerts, no music -- nada. Software version is 2019.16.2.

Problem first appeared on May 25. Took it to my service center on Memorial Day. They re-downloaded the software (same version)and that appeared to fix the problem. But the next day it started again. I've done all of the recommended solutions -- screen reboot, power down the car, etc.-- and nothing works. Any suggestions?

I've made another service center appt, but based on my Memorial Day experience, another software download (unless it's a new version) will probably not do the trick.

Have you ever done a hard reset? This involves disconnecting the battery and the dc-to-dc converter. Take a look at Mountain Pass performance website they have a link on this.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Never done that Doug. How to disconnect the dc to dc converter?
Hi Carter!

Have to unlatch the rear seat which itself is really easy. Then pull the dc-to-dc converter connector off - it probably has some kind of locking tab that has to be depressed. Then reverse the sequence. But I think the mountain pass website has pretty good pictures and information

Last edited:

Before doing the hard reset, have you at least done the full soft reset - not just the screen reboot (soft reset is two wheels down, and brake pedal). Most do that first before hard reset that involves disconnecting all the electronics.

i'm on the same software version and came home from a 10 day vacation to this same exact thing today. had this issue once or twice in the past, but a hard reset or exit/enter the car fixed it in the past...has not done so today. extremely annoying since i have a road trip coming up this weekend...i'm so excited for a four hour each way drive in silence. ugh.

i'm on the same software version and came home from a 10 day vacation to this same exact thing today. had this issue once or twice in the past, but a hard reset or exit/enter the car fixed it in the past...has not done so today. extremely annoying since i have a road trip coming up this weekend...i'm so excited for a four hour each way drive in silence. ugh.

mine thankfully resolved itself last night after letting the car sit unplugged for a few hours. not sure if anything else i did helped, but knock on wood it won't come back for a while (or ever)...

Had a similar problem on my Model 3, turned out to be related to sleep mode and iPhone Apps and TeslaFi. To fix it I deleted all my iPhone Apps, changed my Tesla password so no other existing App had access to the Tesla API’s and set Sleep mode on TeslaFi and relogged into TeslaFi. Now everything works including TeslaFi, speakers, Autopilot and Cruise. My problem also disabled Autopilot and Cruise mode, but no stereo on the rear speakers was also a side effect. Haven’t seen this problem since on firmware 2019.20.1

Had a similar problem on my Model 3, turned out to be related to sleep mode and iPhone Apps and TeslaFi. To fix it I deleted all my iPhone Apps, changed my Tesla password so no other existing App had access to the Tesla API’s and set Sleep mode on TeslaFi and relogged into TeslaFi. Now everything works including TeslaFi, speakers, Autopilot and Cruise. My problem also disabled Autopilot and Cruise mode, but no stereo on the rear speakers was also a side effect. Haven’t seen this problem since on firmware 2019.20.1

i find this hard to believe...how would apps on your phone have anything to do with whether or not the sound on the car works? if it was just bluetooth that wasn't working i'd buy it, but no sound at all?

I've been out of the country since the 17th but wanted to report that it randomly fixed itself before I left for Europe. Hope it doesn't randomly shut off when I return. BTW, I did all the recommended steps: reset, power down, etc. Nothing worked. The only thing I didn't try was the hard reset a la Mountain Pass Performance.

I've been out of the country since the 17th but wanted to report that it randomly fixed itself before I left for Europe. Hope it doesn't randomly shut off when I return. BTW, I did all the recommended steps: reset, power down, etc. Nothing worked. The only thing I didn't try was the hard reset a la Mountain Pass Performance.

I’m telling y’all; the AI is becoming aware.

For the record, and just to report on what's working, this happened to me yesterday (on restarting my car to go home from work). I tried the Power Off move from the screen and restarting very quickly. That didn't work. The double wheel press/brake press/Soft Reset also did not work. But the repeating the Power Off Move from the screen, sitting there while the car slowly shut down (which I could hear when the AC finally shut off), and then restarting with a push on the brake completely fixed my problem. Really hoping this doesn't happen again too much or a software patch/update helps completely fix it, because driving with no sound IS definitely kinda weird and scary not to hear proximity warnings/know if your turn signal is on or off/hear GPS directions/etc. Not quite as scary as the screen COMPLETELY going black mid-drive, which has happened to me also, but still scary.