TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Problem Encountered w/ AP2 - Any Others?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by aleagle, Aug 6, 2017.

1. aleagle

aleagle Member

I have encountered two "major" problems w/ my 2017 AP2 handling. Has anyone else experienced these?
    1. When driving on a freeway underpass approaching a bridge overpass while driving on the freeway (especially if there is a slight dip before the overpass), the autopilot drastically engages the braking system. I think the AP "thinks" it is mistakingly approaching a large object on the freeway rather than going under a bridge, and it goes into AEB mode.
    2. When driving on the street with a curb on one side and painted center line, when approaching a painted gore point in the road, the car tries to turn left following entry into the gore point lane.
    TIA

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

#2 Tam, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Did you experience an AEB mode that would sound an alarm and would give out an AEB message on your instrument cluster and would decelerate your car 25MPH less (65MPH -25= speedometer says 40 MPH)?

In my experience, the decelerations were minimal like a few MPH less for a second and back to normal driving speed again but I could really feel it.

AP2 did decelerate much more often for "no" reasons as owners reported including overpass bridges, overhanging signs, car in front that making an exit or turn.

But not as much anymore with current firmware version 8.1 (2017.28 c528869).

My guess is: Tesla is trying to avoid another Fatal AP1 Florida accident so AP2 has been much more cautious which results in not as smooth as AP1.

As time goes by, more validations for what are dangerous and what are not will be done and AP2 will be much smoother. The timeline is still unknown but hopefully soon.

I've been driving for the past almost 4,900 miles mostly on freeway and autosteer has been working quite well.

There are exceptions of course but I haven't encountered your experience of running into gore point lane unless I purposefully turn on the turn signal early before an exit and it would comply by turning to the next lane which in this case a gore point lane.

The system is not perfect right now.

These scenarios will continue to happen to you until the system will be corrected in subsequent updates.

You just have to learn what works and what don't for your driving and you should not rely on it until the problem are fixed in future updates.

Remember, Autopilot is Level 2 which means human driver is the primary monitor to ensure safe operation.

In level 3, which is not yet commercially available yet (2019 for Audi A8 up to 37MPH), Primary Monitor Function will be shifted to the system and human will be a backup if the system can't handle a scenario.