Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem getting car delivered without swirl marks and paint damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had a very poor experience with Tesla Bellevue these last two weeks attempting to take delivery of our model 3. We rejected delivery of the first car last week due to paint scratches, two small dents, and a few paint chips. We could also see that they bottomed out the car as well, creating a small scrap on the plastic under body and a small spot in the paint.

The second delivery attempt was yesterday, and this car was far worse. Both cars had swirl marks throughout the entire car’s paint, as if they washed/detailed with dirt covered rags. In fact, we watched them do exactly this as we looked back as they were prepping the cars. We saw them wipe the door jambs, then the paint, and put a lot of force into it with dirty microfiber rags. We also saw them wipe the dirt behind the wheels (on the rear bumper) and then rub the paint. It is also interesting that we were 1 of 3 deliveries yesterday at our time slot, and two of us rejected delivery for exactly the same reason – scratched and swirled paint.

For context, we saw the cars at the Sears lot before the prep, and they did not appear to have the hairline scratches/swirlmarks in the clearcoat. We asked them if they could not wash the car as we were worried about potential issues with prep. They said if they skip the wash prep, then we need to sign a waiver that they will not correct any issues that we find. We told them that we can’t sign that, so we had to let them could prep the car. Turns out, our fears were realized, and both cars had the same swirl marks.

Have others had similar experiences at Bellevue recently? We purchased our S from Bellevue 2 years ago, and our experience was great, and the paint was in excellent condition. Now it seems to be hard to get a car with good paint quality. They claimed that their weekend detail crew is different than their weekday crew, and that they might have had issues. Our model S, after 25k miles, still has like-new paint and does not have swirl marks in the clear coat (one or two tiny nicks in the front bumper from road rash, but sadly unavoidable).

At this point, they are sending the first car we looked at for “paint correction” to their internal team to try and remove the dents and the swirl marks. They said it could take a week. The terrible part is that even though we rejected delivery last Saturday, they still cashed our check, even though they said the transaction was canceled since we refused delivery. Now, we’re 8 days in, paid for a car, and have nothing to show for it. They claim there are no matched cars in-route at the moment, and unless we want to give up on the first car being repaired they can’t match us to a new VIN yet, and it would take several more weeks.

Some images of the paint attached to this email. Curious if others have had similar paint issues? Videos are better as they show the swirl marks far easier. Here is a link to one such video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSDBAbdAJS5DDLG68

Attachments

• IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 322
I accepted mine, and the delivery person acted like he couldn't see the multitude of swirls all over the car. For the 3, right now just accept that you are going to need a $500 paint correction immediately at delivery. Given the prices they are charging for paint, it should be thick paint and blemish free. I truly don't understand how a new car can even get so many scratches. My detailer couldn't believe it was a new car. Told me to stop going to auto car washes.

I accepted mine, and the delivery person acted like he couldn't see the multitude of swirls all over the car. For the 3, right now just accept that you are going to need a $500 paint correction immediately at delivery. Given the prices they are charging for paint, it should be thick paint and blemish free. I truly don't understand how a new car can even get so many scratches. My detailer couldn't believe it was a new car. Told me to stop going to auto car washes.

This has been discussed extensively by people. Tesla is one of the only mfrs in California and the paint is waterbased and softer than most paints other auto mfrs use due to regulations.

That's why ceramic coating is usually recommended

• Informative
Reactions: Swampgator
We have had a very poor experience with Tesla Bellevue these last two weeks attempting to take delivery of our model 3. We rejected delivery of the first car last week due to paint scratches, two small dents, and a few paint chips. We could also see that they bottomed out the car as well, creating a small scrap on the plastic under body and a small spot in the paint.

The second delivery attempt was yesterday, and this car was far worse. Both cars had swirl marks throughout the entire car’s paint, as if they washed/detailed with dirt covered rags. In fact, we watched them do exactly this as we looked back as they were prepping the cars. We saw them wipe the door jambs, then the paint, and put a lot of force into it with dirty microfiber rags. We also saw them wipe the dirt behind the wheels (on the rear bumper) and then rub the paint. It is also interesting that we were 1 of 3 deliveries yesterday at our time slot, and two of us rejected delivery for exactly the same reason – scratched and swirled paint.

For context, we saw the cars at the Sears lot before the prep, and they did not appear to have the hairline scratches/swirlmarks in the clearcoat. We asked them if they could not wash the car as we were worried about potential issues with prep. They said if they skip the wash prep, then we need to sign a waiver that they will not correct any issues that we find. We told them that we can’t sign that, so we had to let them could prep the car. Turns out, our fears were realized, and both cars had the same swirl marks.

Have others had similar experiences at Bellevue recently? We purchased our S from Bellevue 2 years ago, and our experience was great, and the paint was in excellent condition. Now it seems to be hard to get a car with good paint quality. They claimed that their weekend detail crew is different than their weekday crew, and that they might have had issues. Our model S, after 25k miles, still has like-new paint and does not have swirl marks in the clear coat (one or two tiny nicks in the front bumper from road rash, but sadly unavoidable).

At this point, they are sending the first car we looked at for “paint correction” to their internal team to try and remove the dents and the swirl marks. They said it could take a week. The terrible part is that even though we rejected delivery last Saturday, they still cashed our check, even though they said the transaction was canceled since we refused delivery. Now, we’re 8 days in, paid for a car, and have nothing to show for it. They claim there are no matched cars in-route at the moment, and unless we want to give up on the first car being repaired they can’t match us to a new VIN yet, and it would take several more weeks.

Some images of the paint attached to this email. Curious if others have had similar paint issues? Videos are better as they show the swirl marks far easier. Here is a link to one such video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSDBAbdAJS5DDLG68
Did you tell the Tesla service people that why they do to prep the car is making the paint much worse? At least tell their manager, so they know the issue and possibly make them think twice to do the same thing in the future.

Wow, this video looks scary! Can one even make this many swirl marks in just one wash? Sorry to read you went twice for your car and getting this. Thanks for a reminder to check under the car when taking delivery of mine.

A lot of new cars come with swirl marks. It's why many will paint correct afterwards.

Here's a brand new $1.7M Porsche 918 Spyder right from the dealer:

Porsche 918 Spyder Project: Inspection, Wash Process, Paint Correction, Clear Bra Template Creation (Part 1) | Ask a Pro Blog

I wouldn't reject a car just for swirl marks alone. I would just correct it myself (then I can do my own Ceramic coat after).

It's funny that write up you linked to is from the place where my Model 3 paint correction, film, and ceramic coat was done, Auto Nuvo in Holliston MA. It's actually the guy (James) I was working with in the pictures. Great guy, awesome work and customer service. They do absolutely amazing work, they do charge accordingly. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Love
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
This has been discussed extensively by people. Tesla is one of the only mfrs in California and the paint is waterbased and softer than most paints other auto mfrs use due to regulations.

That's why ceramic coating is usually recommended

Which mfg is not using water based paint at this point, because of the VOCs, have everyone switched over already? Japan and the EU also have regulations similar to California.

Which mfg is not using water based paint at this point, because of the VOCs, have everyone switched over already? Japan and the EU also have regulations similar to California.

Probably true.

I think there's a lot of confusion about this and a lot of misinformation keeps getting parroted as fact.

Swirls do not indicate soft or thin paint. The car is clear-coated and the clear-coat is 3mm thick (typically). Any surface scratches or swirl marks are in the clear coat. If the scratch is deep enough to get through the clear coat then you will see gouge marks in the car's actual paint, which is not happening.

If the paint is "softer" it would mean that, for example, the paint chips more easily. All auto-makers HAVE switched over to non VOC paints. Tesla does not manufacture paint so they are more than likely getting their paint from the same suppliers that Honda/Toyota/etc do. If it turned out that Tesla is sourcing paint from a company that doesn't have a long auto history then maybe there's a case to be made that Tesla paint is inferior.

My friend who details Teslas in Utah insist that the paint is soft but after detailing my own car I'm not so sure I agree with this.

Someone above commented that Tesla delivers cars with beat up paint jobs and someone should just budget $500 to get the paint on a brand new $50,000-$75,000 car corrected. This is ridiculous. The paint should be in reasonably good condition when the car is delivered and any paint correction needed should be minimal. If the car is covered in swirls and scratches, new, Tesla should be eating the cost of paint correction not the new owner.

Reactions: Inside and RBowen
...The car is clear-coated and the clear-coat is 3mm thick (typically)

You are confusing mils and mm. Clear coat is NOT 2-3mm thick, more like 1-3mils. 1mm is about 39mils

1mm to mils - Google Search

Swirls can be a result of soft paint and/or improper washing or care. I know I was surprised how soft my paint was on my 3, I touched one spot on a door jam with clean fingers and a reasonably clean surface to feel the size of a dust nib and could see holograms/swirls that did not clean off with a detail spray wipe down. I expect the paint to become a little harder over time. Overall paint is just more delicate than people realize. I hate touching my paint any more than I need to. Certain friends/family think I'm crazy when I get mad at them to feeling the need to touch my clean and detailed paint on my cars. It's my pet peeve to day the least. I explain it puts micro scratches in the paint and it needs correction once you do this. Look with your eyes!

Swirls are the easiest to fix, I wouldn't reject cars based on swirls. Until you get PPF and ceramic coats done on your car, you're going to get swirls even if you wash the car yourself. Dents and damages under the clear coat are something else, you could reasonably reject those.

I do agree Tesla needs to hire more competent detailers to prep the cars for delivery. They are definitely lacking in this department. In traditional car dealerships, they receive imperfect cars from factory as well. But they detail and prep them at the dealership, that's the step rushed from Tesla deliveries at the moment with Model 3 ramp up and the car selling so well.

You should be able to request Tesla to detail the car, but personally I would take the car to a detailer I know instead. Yes one can balk at the extra cost of paint correction, but in the grand scheme of things, you'll be happier and spending way less time dealing with it. Time is money, my time is worth a lot to me and I'd rather just drop my car off at a detail shop I know since I want to get PPF & ceramic coating done anyway. So some paint correction at the same time is pretty much standard operating procedure for them.

Comparing to Model S, they were prepped better because they were selling less of it. The difference is simply volume, and yes it's something they need to address.

Any chance you had a red or black car recently as those show the paint the best (worst?)

The one two weeks ago was midnight silver. The one six months ago was red. A year ago was silver.

My Dad got a white one 5 months ago that also looked great.

Some friends got a red one about three months ago that did have some flaws...but it was stuff under the paint, not scratches in the clear coat.

While it was over 3 years ago now, I once helped deliver about 100 cars, and inspected them all very closely. I only remember one new car with marks from detailing. Two had paint errors under the clear coat. There were two or three others with scratches and swirls (one was really bad!)...but they were used ones.