Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem servicing older vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a trouble free 2015 Tesla Model S, well, until last December. That's when the 12v battery died and Tesla took about 2 months to replace it.

A few weeks later, the MCP went. Now one Tesla service center says they have a causal, the other one says there is no relationship, and the forums suggest at least correlation.

Took it into the Sunnyvale Service Center, they tried to sell me a new 12v battery (guess they didn't see they had just replaced it)? They replaced the MCP with a "new" one, new meaning refurb as they don't make that model anymore. The new one flickers something awful. The terrible service people just say, "they all do that." Hmm, the old one didn't.

They didn't wire-up the emergency flashers, the glove box, the fog lights stopped working, the alarm was disabled, the emergency lane departure was disabled, the emergency braking was disabled. Tesla said that they have no responsibility to ensure the car is safe before having you drive off!

Well, it's been a nightmare since December. Now I don't know if the car is "all fixed" for another 5 years of trouble free operation, whether this is the beginning of the end, and whether the car is even safe to drive or not. There's nobody you can reach at Tesla, they just don't care. As long as they have folks willing to shell out for the new garage they are producing, so be it.

I guess it is poetic justice. 5 years of telling people how great this vehicle is and how Tesla is simply misunderstood. Guess it isn't a great vehicle and I misunderstood. I feel completely abandoned by Tesla and am now trying to determine if it is time to sell this vehicle and move on to something non-Tesla.

Suggestions? Anybody else had months of frustrating service experience? Anybody else feel like their car has diminished value due to Tesla's design? Maybe the car is only supposed to last a few short years and then be worthless, like an iPhone?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
In short, reading hundreds of post. Service is getting to be horrible. One guy last week had a good experience.
They r over worked and under paid. My service center lied to my face. The service center manager blamed me for under belly pain on wrong. They refuse to enlarge the service centers to meet the needs of millions of cars now. They refuse to put on second shift.
Service center in Richmond told me port was bad, NOT. I stood there for 8 hours, 4 technicians could not get new one to work.. sent me home with loaner. Still charged me $600.
Read my post on driving dynamics, about replacement parts. I'm try inf to replace everything myself. Once it gets 8 yrs old, 156k miles, stuff breaks every week. U will have to be rich, put up with bad SC. Or, fix it yourself. It's not hard, most parts are easy to get and fix. That long to get a 12v battery. I would have flown to Fremont, found Elon, got battery and flown home.
If u keep having that many problems with SC, I'd lawyer up. Sue them. 2 months for battery, u got to be kidding me.

Sharing my experience here :

I haven't had a trouble free model S since sept 2016.
The first week I got it, I went to get a wrap around the car (whole car, I have a mature tree spewing sticky tree stuff next to parking space).
At the wrap shop there was : 1- sticky tree stuff that penetrated the paint after 24h at my house. Had to do a compound on the whole car to get it off before wrap.
2- handle sticking out issue.
After, I've had several issues (in no particular order) :
-another 2 handles issues. They would pop in and out but wouldn't open the door.
-electrical shortcut needing towing on a flatbed (car wouldn't drive)
-leak issue from the inside of the car. First time around, they took it in for a week, second time around, they took it for nearly a month.
-door interior that fell off from the two front doors.
-power steering failure
-I now have an intermittent problem where the car doesn't lock the charge port, and won't charge. Happens with tesla mobile and wall connector but seems OK with any J1772 with adaptor ?

Many of these problems needed multiple visits to service center or mobile service. There were also standard sun roof adjustments and the like, that seems usual with those and really just a minor issue.
I'm really confused about what to do next. Out of warranty is in 6 months. I could buy extended warranty, but do I want to keep fixing a car that just wants to break? The local service center is so busy, it's hard to get someone to answer your call and address the issue properly. I've also had wonderful service experience, but it is very uneven.

I do want to keep superchargers as it is far more reliable than anything out there. Going model 3 (but would like the extra space of model S with young kids), getting a new model S (but wasn't ready to do the extra spending on a new car), extended warranty or changing it for another used model S, crossing fingers that I had a lemon and won't be in more trouble with another one.

What do you guys think and suggest ?
Please keep in mind that there are no lemon laws here, it is not a possibility.

• Informative
A trouble free 2015? Lucky!!

I very much enjoyed your post. I’ve learned some things based on your experience. I am sorry you’ve had quite so many issues with your Model S.

I recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85 D with 33,000 miles. I am a little freaked out about what may be in my future as far as issues. I do hope not too many. I live in Boise, ID and there are two Rangers who are well recommended and local to the area. I do love the car, and all of it’s features. I don’t drive it hard or do heavy accelerations. I want the car to last.

I charge at home, so no issues charging for daily driving. I did notice the few times I Supercharged, the charge time is longer and the wattage decreases quickly as it charges. I know there is a whole separate thread about this and questions about what Tesla will do. Have you noticed a slow down or issues with charging?

Reactions: InternetDude
Dfdr90. The older our cars, the more Tesla throttled Back the charge rate, I am at 60kw max now. Mine was always about 100kw till v10 was installed. I joined the class action suit in SF about it. I complained. Got this text from Tesla. There r no guarantees in life, except when I got it my rate was 125kw. Fast, 15 minutes in super charger on trips. Now its hours at charger, especially if sharing a number.

Attachments

• 20200214_092800.jpg
    20200214_092800.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Informative
I very much enjoyed your post. I’ve learned some things based on your experience. I am sorry you’ve had quite so many issues with your Model S.
Thanks.

I recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85 D with 33,000 miles. I am a little freaked out about what may be in my future as far as issues. I do hope not too many. I live in Boise, ID and there are two Rangers who are well recommended and local to the area. I do love the car, and all of it’s features. I don’t drive it hard or do heavy accelerations. I want the car to last.
You're missing out on a lot of fun if you don't drive it in a spirited manner sometimes ;) Driving the car gently or hard won't change the fact that the door handles will break ha ha.

I charge at home, so no issues charging for daily driving. I did notice the few times I Supercharged, the charge time is longer and the wattage decreases quickly as it charges. I know there is a whole separate thread about this and questions about what Tesla will do. Have you noticed a slow down or issues with charging?
It's hard for me to say. We didn't get any superchargers within 500 miles of where I live until a few days before Christmas 2019. I did not have records of charge rates from the first 4.5 years simply because I only supercharged a few times per year prior to that and never really considered the charge rate as anything but fast. All we've had here in Saskatchewan was Level 2 charging until Petro Canada (gas stations) came in 2019 and put in some Chademo/CCS chargers. Then a while later Tesla came along and plunked down some Superchargers, I think because a gasoline company showed them up.

Dfdr90. The older our cars, the more Tesla throttled Back the charge rate, I am at 60kw max now. Mine was always about 100kw till v10 was installed. I joined the class action suit in SF about it. I complained. Got this text from Tesla. There r no guarantees in life, except when I got it my rate was 125kw. Fast, 15 minutes in super charger on trips. Now its hours at charger, especially if sharing a number.

Roger that. My last road trip stop in Baker City Oregon was about an hour to get enough juice to get home to Boise. It was also 18 F, so this may have played a part in the slower charging. I guess at this point we are all waiting to see what Tesla will do before our warranties are up in 2023. Maybe we all get new batteries. We shall see. Hopefully, we are not left by the wayside as Tesla sells more Model 3's and Y's.

Thanks.

You're missing out on a lot of fun if you don't drive it in a spirited manner sometimes ;) Driving the car gently or hard won't change the fact that the door handles will break ha ha.

It's hard for me to say. We didn't get any superchargers within 500 miles of where I live until a few days before Christmas 2019. I did not have records of charge rates from the first 4.5 years simply because I only supercharged a few times per year prior to that and never really considered the charge rate as anything but fast. All we've had here in Saskatchewan was Level 2 charging until Petro Canada (gas stations) came in 2019 and put in some Chademo/CCS chargers. Then a while later Tesla came along and plunked down some Superchargers, I think because a gasoline company showed them up.

I have to admit it's very tempting at times, and I did test it a bit when I first got it. But, I hear you, things will eventually happen it sounds like. The difficulty is everything on the car is super expensive to fix. As I stated in other threads, it will be interesting to see if Tesla helps out those of us with older Model S's with batteries that have been throttled back and do not charge as quickly as when new. Will keep a look out for new posts. Cheers.

The best way to own a Tesla IMHO is to lease it... you know, like BMWs. Any long term issues are not your problem... failing MCU due to too much logging, slower supercharging, battery degradation (batterygate), expensive repairs, anything else Tesla wants to change at their will, etc. Tesla is a master hype machine so having the latest and greatest will keep you a fanboy forever. Have you guys noticed they always have a carrot dangling in front of you to keep you going? (Full Self Driving, Roadster 2, Semi, Cybertruck, etc.)

I have a 83k mile 2015 70D.

I do find it interesting that this 5 year owner who has been telling people how great his car is just had his first post Friday and then has not posted again. Calls a MCU a MCP. Reports checking things on "forums".

Fresh service experience for me. Took a roadtrip this weekend (no supercharging - we have charging at second home). When I arrived home, I got a software warning that car may not restart.

Dropped car off at Service center Sunday night. Tried to communicate about needing a loaner. The error I got is often a long repair (battery or contactors). No responses. Checking app - the car was being worked on by 9:30 am. Got a text of the estimate - battery coolant heater $740 all in with taxes. Fixed by noon. Picked up car at 1p (short work day).

First repair out of warranty.

Frustrating that you can't talk to anyone. But it all worked out. I half expected to never see a person since I paid by app. I was thinking a text with my parking spot # but I did see a person who pulled my car around from out back. The lobby was empty except for 3 ipads to check-in. Keurig and bottled water and a wi-fi code. Didn't have time to try it out (the wi-fi that is - I did snag a water and coffee for the drive home). My transaction was complete before the coffee was done.

At some point post count and join date equals credibility. But I also realize that Raleigh is not CA. So move.... Your life will be a lot easier and we just need a few more transplants to truly shift things:)

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I’m actually surprised that a 2015 holds up as well as they do. Model S vehicles have only been made since 2012. The first car Tesla built from the ground up. Not exactly a lot of history to go on here. There is usually a risk when being such an early adopter. Including reducing the charge rate for older vehicles. The history just wasn’t there to see how well the cars could handle that rate of charge. I’d rather have a safer vehicle than one that charges quicker. That’s just me I guess. Probably 2022 is where I’d say that Tesla is no longer considered a young car company since they will have made the Model S for 10 years. By then there is enough history to get things right.

Sharing my experience here :

I haven't had a trouble free model S since sept 2016.
The first week I got it, I went to get a wrap around the car (whole car, I have a mature tree spewing sticky tree stuff next to parking space).
At the wrap shop there was : 1- sticky tree stuff that penetrated the paint after 24h at my house. Had to do a compound on the whole car to get it off before wrap.
2- handle sticking out issue.
After, I've had several issues (in no particular order) :
-another 2 handles issues. They would pop in and out but wouldn't open the door.
-electrical shortcut needing towing on a flatbed (car wouldn't drive)
-leak issue from the inside of the car. First time around, they took it in for a week, second time around, they took it for nearly a month.
-door interior that fell off from the two front doors.
-power steering failure
-I now have an intermittent problem where the car doesn't lock the charge port, and won't charge. Happens with tesla mobile and wall connector but seems OK with any J1772 with adaptor ?

Many of these problems needed multiple visits to service center or mobile service. There were also standard sun roof adjustments and the like, that seems usual with those and really just a minor issue.
I'm really confused about what to do next. Out of warranty is in 6 months. I could buy extended warranty, but do I want to keep fixing a car that just wants to break? The local service center is so busy, it's hard to get someone to answer your call and address the issue properly. I've also had wonderful service experience, but it is very uneven.

I do want to keep superchargers as it is far more reliable than anything out there. Going model 3 (but would like the extra space of model S with young kids), getting a new model S (but wasn't ready to do the extra spending on a new car), extended warranty or changing it for another used model S, crossing fingers that I had a lemon and won't be in more trouble with another one.

What do you guys think and suggest ?
Please keep in mind that there are no lemon laws here, it is not a possibility.

Hey Guillaume,

if you keep it out of warranty, go see Ve Mtl, in Montreal east. Oustanding service, way less expensive than Tesla service and way better service. I am certain they can answer your questions about your problems

I have a 83k mile 2015 70D.

Fresh service experience for me. Took a roadtrip this weekend (no supercharging - we have charging at second home). When I arrived home, I got a software warning that car may not restart.

Dropped car off at Service center Sunday night. Tried to communicate about needing a loaner. The error I got is often a long repair (battery or contactors). No responses. Checking app - the car was being worked on by 9:30 am. Got a text of the estimate - battery coolant heater $740 all in with taxes. Fixed by noon. Picked up car at 1p (short work day).

First repair out of warranty.

Frustrating that you can't talk to anyone. But it all worked out. I half expected to never see a person since I paid by app. I was thinking a text with my parking spot # but I did see a person who pulled my car around from out back. The lobby was empty except for 3 ipads to check-in. Keurig and bottled water and a wi-fi code. Didn't have time to try it out (the wi-fi that is - I did snag a water and coffee for the drive home). My transaction was complete before the coffee was done.

At some point post count and join date equals credibility. But I also realize that Raleigh is not CA. So move.... Your life will be a lot easier and we just need a few more transplants to truly shift things:)

I had a similar experience with my 7 year old Tesla (2013 Model S 60), same problem out of warranty. I had to have the car towed the service Center on a Sunday. I had trouble getting someon on the phone Monday morning to confirm they were taking care of the car. Similarly, they fixed it in a day, offered me Uber credits to get me to work on Monday and it was ready for me Tuesday morning. And, I am in Southern California (Van Nuys Service center). Not all service experiences are bad.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I've had a trouble free 2015 Tesla Model S, well, until last December. That's when the 12v battery died and Tesla took about 2 months to replace it.

A few weeks later, the MCP went. Now one Tesla service center says they have a causal, the other one says there is no relationship, and the forums suggest at least correlation.

Took it into the Sunnyvale Service Center, they tried to sell me a new 12v battery (guess they didn't see they had just replaced it)? They replaced the MCP with a "new" one, new meaning refurb as they don't make that model anymore. The new one flickers something awful. The terrible service people just say, "they all do that." Hmm, the old one didn't.

They didn't wire-up the emergency flashers, the glove box, the fog lights stopped working, the alarm was disabled, the emergency lane departure was disabled, the emergency braking was disabled.

Suggestions?

A faulty ground could have caused most of the problems you experienced. Fairly easy to check with the Frunk tub out.

Look for corrosion or loose connection of the ground stud on the right side.

After reading all post here, I decided to change out the battery. I went to JAX SC, no batteries, months back order from CHINA. Can only buy here.
Checked, none in Florida, period. If anyone's car dies, good luck.
Someone has to invent an adapter for this battery poles being offset. This is insane that Tesla has a lock on this special battery. DCS33-uncr. This is crazy

After reading all post here, I decided to change out the battery. I went to JAX SC, no batteries, months back order from CHINA. Can only buy here.
Checked, none in Florida, period. If anyone's car dies, good luck.
Someone has to invent an adapter for this battery poles being offset. This is insane that Tesla has a lock on this special battery. DCS33-uncr. This is crazy

Have you or anyone looked into the lithium-ion batteries from https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-tesla-model-s.
I am a bit skeptical, as it appears there are some reset issues you may run into with the computer. But curious.